Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Begins Shipping

GammyKnee said:
Mike2000 said:
Mine is just arrived and I wrote two lines about my first impressions on my little blog: http://www.mbelloni.com/2015/05/22/canon-ef-50mm-f1-8-stm/

I'll keep it updated with fresh photos and informations. :)

Thanks Mike - much appreciated. What's your take on speed of focus of this new lens?

The speed is adequate but not lightning fast. I'd say something between 50mm f1.2L and 24-70 2.8L. But it seems really accurate.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm very pleased with mine. I hope to get out and do a few portraits today to test and then possibly tweek the AFMA which by rudimentary tests doesn't seem too far off. The color and contrast rendition is not as nice as the 40 Pancake imho and requires more contrast, shadow and black adjustment in LR but sharpness and saturation seem nice. The build is solid. Very pleased. The focus ring is on the front, I didn't think anyone expected that to change but it's a decent size. Sure it's no jelly jar with a 1" wide focus ring but it's fine. I know this will be a lot of folks first STM lens and will be new to needing to have the camera in operation, i.e. back button focus, shutter half depressed, what not- in order for the manual focus to work.
There is NO wobble in the mount, very solid and it mounts smoothly. Much easier than the pancake which has a very tight fit. I shot a video (which I rarely do) and was pleased with the outcome. Poorly lit room, mixed illumination, ISO 800, f/5.6 and it came out very well.

So far I would say the best value in an EF lens. Something I've been saying over and over for the pancake. Maybe it's a tie. However it's it's not low light, I'll still take the 40. I like the IQ much better.

Upvote 0

bsridev

The Gr8 5dM3
Nov 11, 2014
Atlanta,GA 30080
Hey All

I have got the lens two weeks before from Adorama.

Here is my initial review:

Have tested both video and photo, it gives me the pleasure all the times.
I used to rent 50mm 1.2 when ever i required but going forward the new 1.8 is the solid copy for me.

Thanks
Sridev
5Dm3/16-35 f4/24-70 f2.8 ii/70-200 2.8 ii/ and now 50mm 1.8 ii(2015)

Upvote 0
Does anybody else have any noticeable dust behind the front element. I have a little dot dead center, it's noticeable if i stand under my ceiling light. Ive tried cleaning, and its not on the surface, so I'm pretty sure it's a trapped dust particle. Is that common? I assume that Canon's Malaysian factories don't have quite the quality control of their Japanese ones. If not, is it worth returning? I only ask because I had a zillion issues getting the lens the first time (first the shipper shipped it to the wrong address, then the package got lost by fedex, then there was a delay shipping out the replacement, etc....) I don't want to go through the trouble if it's a common issue that won't effect image quality, especially for such a cheap lens that's basically just a placeholder until Canon releases the 50mm 1.4 IS.

Upvote 0
gobucks said:
Does anybody else have any noticeable dust behind the front element. I have a little dot dead center, it's noticeable if i stand under my ceiling light. Ive tried cleaning, and its not on the surface, so I'm pretty sure it's a trapped dust particle. Is that common? I assume that Canon's Malaysian factories don't have quite the quality control of their Japanese ones. If not, is it worth returning? I only ask because I had a zillion issues getting the lens the first time (first the shipper shipped it to the wrong address, then the package got lost by fedex, then there was a delay shipping out the replacement, etc....) I don't want to go through the trouble if it's a common issue that won't effect image quality, especially for such a cheap lens that's basically just a placeholder until Canon releases the 50mm 1.4 IS.
A small speck of dust on the front element, will not harm the image quality. But if you live in a humid city, it may appear fungus over the years.

My old 50mm F1.4 caught a lot of fine dust through the front barrel crack moving during AF. I believe that the new STM is similar, and will increase the dust inside, no matter how careful you are.

Upvote 0