Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Begins Shipping

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Retailers have begun shipping the brand new Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. We’re told by B&H Photo that all preorders have been met and that they have good stock of the new lens.</p>
<ul>
<li>Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM $125: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1143786-REG/canon_0570c002_ef_50mm_f_1_8_stm.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CA5018STM.html?kbid=64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8MRBCW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00X8MRBCW&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20&linkId=VNB2NIVLZBSNT7XT" target="_blank">Amazon</a></li>
<li>Canon ES-68 Lens Hood: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1143787-REG/canon_0575c001_es_68_lens_hood.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo $26.95</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CAES68.html?kbid=64393" target="_blank">Adorama $34.95</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8MS0JA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00X8MS0JA&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20&linkId=4QGK6XBRGDWCM5XN" target="_blank">Amazon $29.00</a></li>
<li>Canon 49mm Protect Filter $29.95: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1143789-REG/canon_0577c001_49mm_protect_filter.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.adorama.com/CA49UVN.html?kbid=64393" target="_blank">Adorama</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X8MSROS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00X8MSROS&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20&linkId=JIEMOVVYFR35XLCP%22%3ECanon%2049mm%20Protect%20Filter%3C/a%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=canorumo-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00X8MSROS" target="_blank">Amazon</a></li>
</ul>

BigAntTVProductions said:
I'm working on east 33rd here in midtown I might go on my lunch break if not after work I have 1 on reserve
Will be my 1st prime lens so I don't know what to expect ? I'll mostly use it on my 7D2 then my 5D mark 3

You will enjoy it. If you have never had a prime this will certainly be the best $125 you will ever spend in photography. The shallow DOF makes great interesting effects and the low light capability is great and it is sharp and small and light as well.

I actually liked my old ver. 2 better on crop than FF because it was good for portraits. On FF it is supposed to be the standard length but I really didn't use it as much. I'm in the minority though as most people love it on FF.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Well I am pleased. The build is MUCH more robust than the previous incarnations and the STM works as expected. Very similar focus speed and sound as the 40. I did a few test shots, 1.8, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8.... and I think I'll need a slight AFMA on the 5D3. Maybe about +2. Let's see what FoCal says. The specular highlights are very nice, much more rounded than I thought they'd be. I'll do a more scientific set of test images and post later.

Attachments

• IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4440.JPG
    IMG_4440.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4441.JPG
    IMG_4441.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_4442.JPG
    IMG_4442.JPG
    726.8 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0
Should arrive tomorrow. I like 50mm so i had to try it. I think it's going to be a great lens all things considered, and should end up with the name fun-fifty.

Maybe now the remaining fifties will get a make-over. That would be really interesting, although now that I have the Sigma Art, I may not need another Canon fifty. I hope they prove me wrong.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks slclick for those images and your initial thoughts / feedback on the lens – the first that I’ve seen online as such, of real user to receive it. (Looking forward to your further posts / ‘more scientific testing’)…

I have owned 2 copies of the ‘nifty fifty’ (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II). I was dissatisfied with both copies, and sold each of them because of the following:
1) AF consistency was not good enough for me (on either my 350D or my 7D – even after careful AMFA on the 7D).
2) Lack of contrast and sharpness between f/1.8 – f2.2 (I used it from f/2.5 to f/5.6 most of the time… it was really shone between f/2.8 and f/4)
3) Bokeh was really quite harsh – often lead to ‘what could have been a great quality photo, bad bokeh has produced a fly in the ointment outcome’

From the research that I have undertaken the new 50mm f/1.8 STM improves on these numbers above:
1) – with STM and
3) with 7 rounded blades,
but 2) remains the same.

I’m ‘torn’ between these 2 options:
A) Buying the 50mm f/1.8 STM and enjoying it for what it is, realising its limitations – perhaps mainly using it at f/2.5 to f/5.6 again.
B) Waiting for the ‘faster’ 50mm – basically replacement to the 50mm f/1.4 – which hopefully will have:
i. Increased sharpness & contrast at large apertures – please either f/1.4 and f/1.6… though even f/2 will be acceptable.
ii. 4 stop IS, pretty please! So helpful for ultra low light shooting, and ‘handheld possibilities- when still requiring increased DOF’
iii. Hopefully full USM – really consistent, (without issues of breaking, etc)
iv. Great bokeh (without needing to exactly match/rival that of the 50mm f/1.2 L)

I have no problem with using a ‘not 100% perfect’ lens for a while, being satisfied with it for what it is– until a better lens comes round, and then selling the original and getting the upgrade / original. I’ve undertaken this with standard zoom lens, telezoom lens, buying the ‘original’ and using it for some years, until a better lens meeting my criteria is produced by Canon  - then selling the original one (and finding out I had the use of that lens for $X/year, which usually works out at a very decent rate!)

While the 50mm f/1.8 II’s manual focus ring was pretty much useless, that did not really bother me too much, as I prefer to rely on AF for how I use a 50mm on an APS-C.
(100mm macro is another story, so I’m thankful for my macro’s great MF ring). Speaking of focus… an additional positive aspect is the closer minimum focusing distance on the STM, which is always welcome!

The price of the new STM is great… competition is good, and well done Canon.
I will keep reading reviews, looking at photos produced by the new 50mm STM – and make a decision on the above A) and B) options based on that.

Paul 8)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
pj1974 said:
Thanks slclick for those images and your initial thoughts / feedback on the lens – the first that I’ve seen online as such, of real user to receive it. (Looking forward to your further posts / ‘more scientific testing’)…

I have owned 2 copies of the ‘nifty fifty’ (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II). I was dissatisfied with both copies, and sold each of them because of the following:
1) AF consistency was not good enough for me (on either my 350D or my 7D – even after careful AMFA on the 7D).
2) Lack of contrast and sharpness between f/1.8 – f2.2 (I used it from f/2.5 to f/5.6 most of the time… it was really shone between f/2.8 and f/4)
3) Bokeh was really quite harsh – often lead to ‘what could have been a great quality photo, bad bokeh has produced a fly in the ointment outcome’

From the research that I have undertaken the new 50mm f/1.8 STM improves on these numbers above:
1) – with STM and
but 2) remains the same......

Contrast could be better due to improved coatings. The MTF plots suggest very slightly better 10l/mm contrast which could be coating dependant.

At this price I would just get one, I can't imagine it's second hand price is going to be at all soft for a long time, so you're really not risking very much at all, a 1.4 replacement could be a long way off.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
pj1974 said:

1) – with STM and
but 2) remains the same.

I’m ‘torn’ between these 2 options:
A) Buying the 50mm f/1.8 STM and enjoying it for what it is, realising its limitations – perhaps mainly using it at f/2.5 to f/5.6 again.
B) Waiting for the ‘faster’ 50mm – basically replacement to the 50mm f/1.4 – which hopefully will have:
i. Increased sharpness & contrast at large apertures – please either f/1.4 and f/1.6… though even f/2 will be acceptable.
ii. 4 stop IS, pretty please! So helpful for ultra low light shooting, and ‘handheld possibilities- when still requiring increased DOF’
iii. Hopefully full USM – really consistent, (without issues of breaking, etc)
iv. Great bokeh (without needing to exactly match/rival that of the 50mm f/1.2 L)

I have no problem with using a ‘not 100% perfect’ lens for a while, being satisfied with it for what it is– until a better lens comes round, and then selling the original and getting the upgrade / original. I’ve undertaken this with standard zoom lens, telezoom lens, buying the ‘original’ and using it for some years, until a better lens meeting my criteria is produced by Canon  - then selling the original one (and finding out I had the use of that lens for $X/year, which usually works out at a very decent rate!)

While the 50mm f/1.8 II’s manual focus ring was pretty much useless, that did not really bother me too much, as I prefer to rely on AF for how I use a 50mm on an APS-C.
(100mm macro is another story, so I’m thankful for my macro’s great MF ring). Speaking of focus… an additional positive aspect is the closer minimum focusing distance on the STM, which is always welcome!

The price of the new STM is great… competition is good, and well done Canon.
I will keep reading reviews, looking at photos produced by the new 50mm STM – and make a decision on the above A) and B) options based on that.

Paul 8)
If they have improved the Super Spectra coatings then the contrast could well improve

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Purely from a video perspective (and I know that nobody gives a dink about video around here :)...I ran a quick test against a few other lenses using the Dual Pixel AF on my C300. As expected, it's noticeably slower than the 24 and 40mm STM pancakes (just based on focal length you'd expect that), but compared to the 17-55 2.8 (at 50mm) and the 50mm F1.2L it was visibly slower (although smoother and quieter). I also got a sense that it was "breathing" quite a bit more. Otherwise the image looked nice, no visible problems. I really wish there wasn't a "speed" penalty focusing with the STM lenses in DPAF, as it's nice to not feel the camera vibrate/shake during autofocus changes, and the smoothness of the focus changes is really nice, but the fact that every focus transition, noticeably lags behind the camera movement (especially the nifty 50), makes it difficult to count on as a serious tool for video.

Upvote 0
ScottyP said:
BigAntTVProductions said:
I'm working on east 33rd here in midtown I might go on my lunch break if not after work I have 1 on reserve
Will be my 1st prime lens so I don't know what to expect ? I'll mostly use it on my 7D2 then my 5D mark 3

You will enjoy it. If you have never had a prime this will certainly be the best $125 you will ever spend in photography. The shallow DOF makes great interesting effects and the low light capability is great and it is sharp and small and light as well.

I actually liked my old ver. 2 better on crop than FF because it was good for portraits. On FF it is supposed to be the standard length but I really didn't use it as much. I'm in the minority though as most people love it on FF.

I also loved the ver. 2 on my Ti1, not so much on 6D. I'm glad I'm getting a T3 (being sold very cheap). At least it'll have a "more permanent home" together with my 100mm macro (I don't know but I kinda like it more with my Ti1 than my 6D).

Upvote 0