Canon's New Tilt Shift Lenses Still Scheduled To Begin Shipping Next Week

privatebydesign said:
Playing devils advocate here, what can you do with a tilt shift lens you can't do in post?

One very big thing for me - is that when you have clients looking over your shoulder when you are shooting - I'd much rather have my lines straight then telling them - "Oh don't worry I'll fix it in post, we can move on."

Plus if you don't use a TS-E you need to include a lot of extra frame for the transformation. A lot of my shots show a straight on perspective, one point, so I want everything to be right in camera.

Upvote 0
ecqns said:
privatebydesign said:
Playing devils advocate here, what can you do with a tilt shift lens you can't do in post?

One very big thing for me - is that when you have clients looking over your shoulder when you are shooting - I'd much rather have my lines straight then telling them - "Oh don't worry I'll fix it in post, we can move on."

Plus if you don't use a TS-E you need to include a lot of extra frame for the transformation. A lot of my shots show a straight on perspective, one point, so I want everything to be right in camera.

another important reason is that I want as much of my 42Mpx Sony frame as possible. Since I have to crop a vertical 35mm frame down to a 4x3 ratio, we don't want to waste pixels.
When I have to use the 11-24 (and I dislike using it but its an emergency) I have to transform a ton of the image, losing 1/3 to 1/2 of the frame.

If Canon (or Nikon!) came out with a 14 (or 13!)mm TS-E I'd be all set for lenses.

Upvote 0