Canon EOS-1D C Coming Down in Price Again?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>It looks like Canon Hong Kong has dropped the price of the Canon EOS-1D C down to what coverts to $7000USD. Will we see this sort of price decrease in Europe or North America? Only time will tell.</p>
<p><strong>From EOSHD

</strong><em>“According to <a href="http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7709-canon-1d-c-used-price-slips-under-%C2%A35000-and-why-i-decided-to-take-the-gamble-and-get-one/?page=8">EOSHD forum member Fabuloux</a>, whose local dealer now sells the 1D C for HKD 54,000 ($7000 US dollars) the low price is a result of Canon lowering the official list price to $61,999 HK dollars. Sure enough you can view the new price on the official Canon Hong Kong website <a href="http://www.canon.com.hk/en/product/catalog/productItemDetails.do?prrfnbr=200477">here</a>.  That is now MUCH closer to the RRP in Hong Kong of the plain old 1D X, which sells for $44,000 ($5700 US dollars).”</em><strong>

</strong></p>
<p>The Canon EOS-1D C currently lists for <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855962-REG/Canon_EOS_1D_C_EOS_1D_C_4K_Cinema.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">$11,999 at B&H Photo</a>.</p>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://www.eoshd.com/2015/01/canon-hong-kong-officially-lower-1d-c-price-7000/" target="_blank">EOSHD</a>] | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855962-REG/Canon_EOS_1D_C_EOS_1D_C_4K_Cinema.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon EOS-1D C at B&H Photo</a></p>
<p><em>thanks Fred</em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Oct 18, 2011
user3977 said:
can anyone tell the reason to use this body for photography? I watched the victorias secret fashion show and saw a couple photographers using the 1Dc you can tell by the little red C on the body, kinda stands out with a black body. just wondering why pay the premium to use it for shooting?
Because its a one-size fits all solution for them. The 1D-C is the 1DX, but with video capabilities for 4k as well. So, if you're a fashion photog, odds are you pretty much have to be able to do both photo and video today. 1D-C is uniquely positioned to do both, and of course, have the ability to shoot high frame rates for other pro jobs.

Honestly, if the new price is true, the question is why anyone would purchase the 1DX. For $1000 more you get 4K video, etc.

thelebaron said:
with the 4k video you can probably use screengrabs from any video it outputs as photos
yeah, but they are jpeg compressed and prone to motion artifacts. Its the RAW cameras where 4k is really interesting

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2010
with the 4k video you can probably use screengrabs from any video it outputs as photos

It's actually been done. There was a video review of screengrabs from a 1DC printed to a huge size (A1? can't remember, but it was a roll). The details were exquisite and comparable to the best stills cameras (1DX, D4s). Of course, being a jpg there was not very much leeway in post editing so the video shoot has to be done right. And as mentioned above, it's prone to motion blur because videos are usually shot at 1/50s or 1/60s, so screengrabbing from high-speed events is close to useless.

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2010
Peer said:
dash2k8 said:
And as mentioned above, it's prone to motion blur because videos are usually shot at 1/50s or 1/60s, so screengrabbing from high-speed events is close to useless.

At "high-speed events" you just bump the shutter speed for 4k frame grabs. No prob.

-- peer

I don't follow. You're not suggesting shooting video at 1/125s or 1/250s just so you can grab stills from it? That would ruin the video itself. It would be better to just shoot photos at 1/1000s.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
dash2k8 said:

It's actually been done. There was a video review of screengrabs from a 1DC printed to a huge size (A1? can't remember, but it was a roll). The details were exquisite and comparable to the best stills cameras (1DX, D4s).

4K resolution is 4096x2160, which is 8.5MP with an aspect ration of 1:1.9, which AFAIK is rare in print, e.g. magazine page sizes are 1:1.3. I doubt that would make a quality print larger than A3.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
LetTheRightLensIn said:
PureClassA said:
Yes...but will the new 5 body output 4k without the crud? A truly clean out for an external recorder?

If not and if the cam doesn't have better DR for stills then the solution is to keep 5D3 for general shooting and 1080P RAW and to get some A7R II with 4k from Sony later this year.

Nah. Sony a7s II for this guy. I'm primarily interested in a new 1DX model. I do a lot of dance. Renting right now is fine, but I need speed. Otherwise 6D is lovely for my other stuff. Want video. Hence a7S... short of Canon blowing our minds with a new 5 body that can

Upvote 0
Antono Refa said:
dash2k8 said:

It's actually been done. There was a video review of screengrabs from a 1DC printed to a huge size (A1? can't remember, but it was a roll). The details were exquisite and comparable to the best stills cameras (1DX, D4s).

4K resolution is 4096x2160, which is 8.5MP with an aspect ration of 1:1.9, which AFAIK is rare in print, e.g. magazine page sizes are 1:1.3. I doubt that would make a quality print larger than A3.

I was surprised myself. Here's one of many Youtube videos that prove 1DC screengrabs can print to HUGE sizes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwpvzza_Q04

This is definitely many times larger than A3.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
PureClassA said:
Yes...but will the new 5 body output 4k without the crud? A truly clean out for an external recorder?

If not and if the cam doesn't have better DR for stills then the solution is to keep 5D3 for general shooting and 1080P RAW and to get some A7R II with 4k from Sony later this year.

Nah. Sony a7s II for this guy. I'm primarily interested in a new 1DX model. I do a lot of dance. Renting right now is fine, but I need speed. Otherwise 6D is lovely for my other stuff. Want video. Hence a7S... short of Canon blowing our minds with a new 5 body that can

Canon is all about continuity within their own product lines, Id love to be wrong but even if its capable I doubt canon allows a 5d to usurp their flagship cinema dslr with better video quality. expecting the same as the 7d2 personally.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
thelebaron said:
PureClassA said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
PureClassA said:

Canon is all about continuity within their own product lines, Id love to be wrong but even if its capable I doubt canon allows a 5d to usurp their flagship cinema dslr with better video quality. expecting the same as the 7d2 personally.

Why? The 5D MkII ($2,500) did to the 1Ds MkIII ($7,999) with both a stills equaling and video beating camera (which wasn't difficult as the $7,999 camera didn't have video).

Upvote 0