Canon EOS-1D X Mark III rumoured specifications [CR1]

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It's a CR1 and honestly, with some common sense, such jump in specs in 1D series from previous generation is highly unlikable yet people are stoked as if it is done deal. :rolleyes: The wonders of how some people react to such threads never ceases to amaze me.
Yeha peopel here acting liek it is real. CR1 is a step above pure BS which is CR0. Show me a CR3 and then we can have a conversation.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The M6 Mark II can do a 30 fps RAW burst with servo AF at 18 MP/12-bit—a throughput almost 50% greater than that of the 1D X II! It would be very surprising if the 1D X III won't at least manage to do the same or better.
Oh, I didnt remember that feature from the M6. I didnt thought these burst feature was actualy raw. Then you are totaly right - the 1D is likely to be just as capable as this.

"DCI 6K" (6144px horizontal resolution) requires at least a 25 MP sensor. 26 MP and 28 MP (with a slight crop) are both reasonable guesses right now. The 90D can do both 6.9K-to-4K and 6K-to-4K downsampling so it would again be very surprising if the 1D X III won't be able to do the same.
Thats true :)
I hope for the best =)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
That was not enough!

Canon did not do their preparation on the EOS 1D X Mark III camera body because it has very little development with tiny new features. Canon spent a lot of their money and produced JUNK mirrorless camera and JUNK RF lenses. They are trouble-prone engineered.

Now, where Canon promised to release EOD 5D R Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 200-600mm, new 50mm f/1.2 with improved features plus other items. We are NOT interested in R camera and RF lenses.

I discovered Canon changed its policy to provide replacement parts for both camera bodies and lenses. So many skilled 3rd party camera repair stations were not able to fix the problem as they cannot receive the replacement parts.

If you have Canon EOS 1DS Mark I, you will be out of luck because they will turn you down because the parts were out of stock and obsoleted.

I have Canon EOS 1D Mark II. It needs new material for the body due to worn out. The condition of this camera is excellent. Canon told me they were no longer parts available and also told me to get a new mirrorless camera. I discovered as they will provide replacement parts up to 3-5 years old. After that, you will be out of luck.

They copied Nikon's new policy on replacement parts as well as Sony too. Because they want to be a monopoly and hurt the 3rd party service vendors included me. I surprise to learn from eBay for used digital cameras to show tremendous increase prices.

We need your voice against Canon and Nikon to stop crazy policies and provide better support for old cameras that need parts.

Now how does one spell troll?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Now how does one spell troll?

I like how he said "We are NOT interested in R camera and RF lenses." I'm glad he was there to tell me what I was thinking, otherwise I would never have figured it out, because I was too busy waiting to see what the next R series camera would be.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
That was not enough!

Canon did not do their preparation on the EOS 1D X Mark III camera body because it has very little development with tiny new features. Canon spent a lot of their money and produced JUNK mirrorless camera and JUNK RF lenses. They are trouble-prone engineered.

Now, where Canon promised to release EOD 5D R Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM, EF 200-600mm, new 50mm f/1.2 with improved features plus other items. We are NOT interested in R camera and RF lenses.

I discovered Canon changed its policy to provide replacement parts for both camera bodies and lenses. So many skilled 3rd party camera repair stations were not able to fix the problem as they cannot receive the replacement parts.

If you have Canon EOS 1DS Mark I, you will be out of luck because they will turn you down because the parts were out of stock and obsoleted.

I have Canon EOS 1D Mark II. It needs new material for the body due to worn out. The condition of this camera is excellent. Canon told me they were no longer parts available and also told me to get a new mirrorless camera. I discovered as they will provide replacement parts up to 3-5 years old. After that, you will be out of luck.

They copied Nikon's new policy on replacement parts as well as Sony too. Because they want to be a monopoly and hurt the 3rd party service vendors included me. I surprise to learn from eBay for used digital cameras to show tremendous increase prices.

We need your voice against Canon and Nikon to stop crazy policies and provide better support for old cameras that need parts.

So why exactly are you on this forum? After 24 posts of vitriol we realise you hate Canon.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about a 36 mp sensor for the new EOS 1Dx III, with a crop factor APS-H at 28 mp to get 30 images per second, many sport photographers would like this feature.

It could be nice to get two different viewfinders (electronic and optical), like a Nikon F5 (interchangeable) and the body built as a EOS 1v (with different boosters) and not as a block.

Digic 9... (Sony Alpha 9?)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm thinking about a 36 mp sensor for the new EOS 1Dx III, with a crop factor APS-H at 28 mp to get 30 images per second, many sport photographers would like this feature.

It could be nice to get two different viewfinders (electronic and optical), like a Nikon F5 (interchangeable) and the body built as a EOS 1v (with different boosters) and not as a block.

Digic 9... (Sony Alpha 9?)
F5, Nikon sure knew their film bodies, drool. If digital never came to pass I'd be on Nikon for certain.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The Canon M6 Mark II is already shooting 30fps with autofocus using electronic shutter, a small crop, and does so in RAW - I think only at 12-bit not full 14-bit. It also does this in some new file format that requires Canon DPP until Adobe supports it. So it's very clunky.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
That was not enough!

Seems to me you are connecting two issues that are in two different ball fields:

1. If you are upset that Canon isn't supplying replacement parts for bodies only 3-5 years old, that would seem to be a valid concern. Frankly a surprising one to me.

2. Your other point, regarding Canon and Nikon (I suppose they are included) bringing out "junk" for new equipment. Well, you are entitled to your opinion even if it is without basis.

Unfortunately your delivery of point #2 hurts your credibility in buying what you are selling in #1. Take it as you will, I'm entitled to my opinion as well.

Upvote 0

bellorusso

Elgar Normunk
Jul 29, 2014
Moscow
www.byazrov.com
30fps is good news but also would be great if that massive new CPUs did produce more bits of colour and sensor would record wider dynamic range. I don't think that PhaseOne has more money and tech power than Canon. But somehow Canon always lags behind medium format in those numbers. Would be so cool if dynamic range revolution finally happened.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
30fps is good news but also would be great if that massive new CPUs did produce more bits of colour and sensor would record wider dynamic range. I don't think that PhaseOne has more money and tech power than Canon. But somehow Canon always lags behind medium format in those numbers. Would be so cool if dynamic range revolution finally happened.

That is why it seems to me there is room for two top end product lines, unless they can pull off those two "modes" in one body (higher FPS, higher bit-depth). I would be on board for the latter for sure, if the former comes with it all the better. My suspicion is however, they would be better to separate them to prevent compromise in accomplishing both. I suppose that is sort of what the 5D series has been, but the build quality hasn't been up there with the 1 series I don't think.

We need a 1DF (fast) and a 1DR (high resolution and high bit depth)

Upvote 0
There is NOTHING WRONG with the Canon EOS 1Dx Mk2 !!! It is an EXCELLENT camera! I've shot lots of F1, skiing and Football (Soccer!) with it. With decent prime lenses and good lighting, there is nothing you cannot get with this camera!

What IS missing from it however is SHUTTER NOISE REDUCTION and YES I have been asked to LEAVE a meeting room/conference because the parties found the noise of my shutter rather objectionable! I then told them I could shoot VIDEO at 24 fps and get my still photo frames that way!

That is the ONLY THING that is problematic for that camera which is why our parent company bought a few of the Sony A9's for the head office meetings and "Quiet Area" still photo imaging. Canon WILL have to address shutter noise in the next 1Dx Mk3 iteration OR go full Mirrorless on it! They MAY do so yet! There is NO REASON why the 1Dx3 cannot be an R-series mount mirrorless ! They've got the GREAT lenses now!

---

NOW, I do wish to give a heads-up that whatever you HAVE AVAILABLE ON YOU RIGHT NOW is "Your Camera" !!!

If it's an iWatch, a Gopro Hero, a 720p resolution child's tablet computer, a smartphone, a Canon G-series or yes that venerable old 7D2!

If that is all what you have with you, then TAKE THE SHOT ANYWAYS !!! It's a visual record and even an old half-dead $100 smartphone from 10 years ago can turn out a half-decent shot (maybe even that MILLION DOLLAR shot if the right subject matter is there!).

The below are cheap phone photos but that's all I had on me! I would have LOVED to bring along the 1dx2 BUT since this was unplanned I only had the smartphone .....SOOOOO the MORAL of the story is TAKE THE SHOT with whatever you have on you! Sometimes your photo BECOMES that world-famous million-dollar story!

Attachments

• 02_Halloween's Forest.png
    02_Halloween's Forest.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 215
  • Wooden Fish.png
    Wooden Fish.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 215
  • 03_Why the Rocks.png
    03_Why the Rocks.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 220
  • 04_Have a Swim By The Waterfall.png
    04_Have a Swim By The Waterfall.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
*** NO EVF NEEDED for 30fps & electronic shutter.
You see the live action through the OVF, not what's being recorded via an EVF. This way there's a 0 m/s delay between the action and what you see in the viewfinder.
Some of us are old enough to have owned a canon film camera that had no shutter blackout, just a gloriously uninterrupted view of the action.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
What ridiculous hyperbole.

The 1DX MkII already has better iso performance than the D5 and A9/MkII, the AF is also comparable to both, what flagship is the 1DX MkII currently not competitive with?

How, without breaking the laws of physics, do you expect to “significantly improve” either?
I shoot BIF. The AF lock on the 1DX2 is nervous. It obtains initial focus quickly but jumps to complex, contrasty backgrounds. The D5 is slightly slower to obtains initial focus but holds focus lock much better. I shoot a 1DX2 but have to concede AF performance to my friends who the shoot D5.

Upvote 0
Well of course this won't be with mechancial shutter, physically impossible unless mirror is locked up, so live-view with pre-buffering.

Sounds good as long as AF gets a big overhaul. Needs to fix stability in bursts and against busy backgrounds, latch on to lower contrast objects better and have greater AF coverage. All points x-type at f/5.6, big central chunk at f/8. Higher resolution colour meter sensor, and greatly improved tracking. If They do that then I'll be back after skipping 1DXII and selling my 1DX for D500 and A9. Neither of which is going anywhere, but I still have my Canon 500 f/4 and 300 f/2.8 which would be nice to use natively again.

Upvote 0
I shoot BIF. The AF lock on the 1DX2 is nervous. It obtains initial focus quickly but jumps to complex, contrasty backgrounds. The D5 is slightly slower to obtains initial focus but holds focus lock much better. I shoot a 1DX2 but have to concede AF performance to my friends who the shoot D5.

I shoot BIF with my A9, especially when I know I'll be at a long range, where the target will be a small portion of the frame. When a bird dips down where there's a background, I usually lose it with the 1dx2. With the Canon I do lots of pre-focusing and tricks like choosing a stand of marsh grass that I think is in the same focal plane as the bird. I'll sometimes have my focus point on the bottom of the viewfinder, with me manually choosing an object that is closes to what I perceive as the focus plane.

The A9 two years ago wasn't as good in many things AF versus the 1dx2. Three major (and some minor) firmware upgrades later, and we have pretty amazing tracking. The great news is I see this new R series firmware upgrade Canon did, and it looks like they're keeping up. It's just not in the 1 series yet. With the A92 coming out with only a fairly lame upgrade, Canon has the opportunity to come to parity or exceed Sony. However, I'm not sure a 1dx3 is going to cut it, as I suspect one of the key elements to this sort of modern tracking involves persistent mirrorless/live view. It might be that we see it in the mirrorless equivalent that comes some months/years/eons after the 1dx3.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yeha peopel here acting liek it is real. CR1 is a step above pure BS which is CR0. Show me a CR3 and then we can have a conversation.
CR1 can be a great deal above pure BS. Remember this rumor for the M6 II specs that was rated CR1. It got most specs correct and the ones that are off can be explained by different prototype designs. For example, the FPS being only 14 instead of 16 FPS.

It really doesn't seem so unreasonable to me.

Upvote 0