Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

Neither body interests me. I can only imagine what the DLA is – the 80D DLA is f/6.0, so the DLA for these bodies will be what? f/4.5? Much too low for my macro needs.

The other problem is resolution. I have compared the resolution of my 5DIV to my 80D numerous times and the 80D is always inferior – so much so that I rarely use my 80D. Same lens, f/5.6, same other settings, same post-processing. Is it possible the 90D sensor tech is substantively better than that of the 80D?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I would have expected the usb controller to be part of the digic chip. That, combined with the fact that the R does support USB3 I think Canon decided to segmentize it. M*, RP -> USB2, R, Rx, Rs -> USB3
Its not just with 90D but if you look at previous gen cameras 7D mk2 and 5D mk4 both came with USB 3.0 support while 80D and 6D mk2 only kept USB 2.0 support. While people see Canon Castration in video and other features its even with connectivity that Canon segements its products.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Neither body interests me. I can only imagine what the DLA is – the 80D DLA is f/6.0, so the DLA for these bodies will be what? f/4.5? Much too low for my macro needs.

The other problem is resolution. I have compared the resolution of my 5DIV to my 80D numerous times and the 80D is always inferior – so much so that I rarely use my 80D. Same lens, f/5.6, same other settings, same post-processing. Is it possible the 90D sensor tech is substantively better than that of the 80D?
DLA is such a ridiculous number that doesn't mean what most people think it does.

For your macro work for a same sized subject reproduction you will get more detail out of more pixels irrespective of the DLA figure.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Let's be realistic here guys. What would a 7D mk3 offer over the 90D? The 61af point system from the 5D4? Dual card slots? While those features are all well and good and crucial to some buyers, I don't think they're big enough of an advantage that canon would spend more R&D to create a camera with very little difference especially when the market is moving towards mirrorless and canon's profits are falling. With the rumours that the 90D would effectivley be the successor to the 7D2, I can see that this is most likely indeed the sucessor to the 7D line and there will be no 7D3. You got weather sealing, AF joystick, spot AF, 10fps etc, all 7D line features at what i can only assume will be a much lower price point.
This is especially true if there is a forthcoming APS-C R mount sports oriented camera. Upgrade the 90d to specs that birders and other niche cases where having a mirror is an advantage, then release essentially the same camera with dual digic/dual memory card/faster fps with an R mount and a 18-xx something variable aperture kit lens. Thereby creating a new category of prosumer aps-c R mount that's roughly equivalent to the the 7d mk2.

They keep saying something unexpected is coming, I still think that might be it. Making the 90d more like the 7d mk2 has more to do with positioning against Sony and their new APS-C cameras than it does as being a true replacement for the 7d line. They needed to have a list of features comparable to Sony so that sitting in a box store at Christmas the average consumer picks the one that says "Canon" (because they know 'Canon is supposed to be a good brand') over the one that is just slightly more megapixels or fps on the display. The only real unexpected thing on this to me is the joystick, but since Sony has them on theirs in this range it's another tick in the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
DLA is such a ridiculous number that doesn't mean what most people think it does.

For your macro work for a same sized subject reproduction you will get more detail out of more pixels irrespective of the DLA figure.

I've read enough of your posts to respect your opinion, but:

1. I do not like the 5DIV above f/11; the loss of resolution is excessive. In fact, at some point I'll pull out my 6D to compare, f/11-f/16.
2. The 80D resolution is distinctly inferior for macro, with the same lens (Sigma 70mm Art) and framing the subject the same.

Is it likely I have a bad copy of the 80D? What does DLA mean to you?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Its not just with 90D but if you look at previous gen cameras 7D mk2 and 5D mk4 both came with USB 3.0 support while 80D and 6D mk2 only kept USB 2.0 support. While people see Canon Castration in video and other features its even with connectivity that Canon segements its products.
Either it's product segmentation or it' s reusing parts from previous models without upgrading them, most likely for budget reasons. Or maybe it's for some other reason. Since we are unlikely to know for sure why Canon did what it did, we can each believe what we want to believe. And announce our beliefs to the cyber world if we are so inclined.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
No-one I know with a recent Canon crop DSLR wanted more pixels. They wanted BETTER pixels. I really hope the DR and high ISO performance is good on this new camera. I'm also guessing that only the very best top-end glass will resolve 32MP on a crop sensor.
You need to get out more, then - wildlife photographers (I'm one) will love the additional pixels.

And "better" pixels?

Doesn't mean what you think it means. If you can't get all the DR and high ISO performance you need out of a Canon sensor, it ain't the pixels...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Good for you. Just tell that to the wedding couple the first time you do get a card failure. Sorry, lost your wedding, but don't worry, the chance of it happening again is very slim.

A wedding 'tog without a back-up camera to hand?

Unlikely...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Because you don't "need" it. If you do, in Canon's delusional fantasy world you're supposed to buy one of their Cinema cameras and make them rich. In the real world you'll just buy an ILC from a competitor instead.

I'm sure Canon will be deeply grateful for your insightful explanation of the economic realities.

That'll be why Canon continues to outsell all of its competitors then, eh?

Upvote 0

Adrianf

Now an R5 owner and fan
Jul 7, 2015
You need to get out more, then - wildlife photographers (I'm one) will love the additional pixels.

And "better" pixels?

Doesn't mean what you think it means. If you can't get all the DR and high ISO performance you need out of a Canon sensor, it ain't the pixels...
I am a wildlife photographer. I use both a 5D4 and 7D2 on my 500mm F4 mkii. I love the 7D2 but its noise performance and DR, particularly in poor light, is nowhere near as good as the 5D4. I really wanted an updated 7D2 with a sensor as good as the 5D4, however many pixels it had. Quality pixels over quantity for me, any day!

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Either it's product segmentation or it' s reusing parts from previous models without upgrading them, most likely for budget reasons. Or maybe it's for some other reason. Since we are unlikely to know for sure why Canon did what it did, we can each believe what we want to believe. And announce our beliefs to the cyber world if we are so inclined.
Reusing parts doesnt make sense as both 80D and 6D mk2 have USB mini-B connector with High-speed capabilities while both 7D mk2 and 5d mk4 have USB 3.0 micro-B connector with super speed capabilities(i.e 5Gbps). So yeah I dont know how they are using reusing parts to save costs here.

Upvote 0
HDD failure is inevitable, which is why I backup photos to the cloud (when I finish processing them) and optical media (once a month).

Flash memory cells can be written to a limited number of times, then it fails. Good memory cards do wear leveling, but it only delays the inevitable. Then, other parts might fail too. E.g. I bought a SanDisk Extreme PRO 256GB USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive, and the memory controller failed after a few months of light use. According to Amazon reviews, this is a common problem with this product.

With today's technology, buying from good brands may give the impression that the odds are ever in your favor, but failure is a real possibility.
who need 2 slots in furture? instant clound! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

"""With integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity, you can share the
images from your EOS 90D to your smart device quickly and easily
with the Canon Camera Connect App. A constant connection
between the EOS 90D and your smartphone can be maintained via
Bluetooth® connectivity, letting you view your photographs without
taking the camera from your bag.
""

Upvote 0

""
Nice feature, but not sure it would be 100% reliable. In my experience wireless rearly is.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

""
As mentioned previously it is most probably for jpegs only.

EDIT: And I guess you still have to take your camera out of the bag to take ... pictures :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
If the day after your sd card is dead, a backup camera won't help much. Not sure they will be very happy with only the 70-200 and no 24-70 pictures.

Ahhh. . . . . The dreaded single card failure scenario.

I can’t tell you the number of times I have been burned by a card failure.

Since the advent of digital photos in the 90s – I may have lost two entire images due to data corruption. Maybe three. I have never lost an entire card.

No - that’s not true. Thinking back, I have lost two cards. Each case – lost the card along with the entire camera. I travel hard.

I have had more flash failures than I care to count. I have also had lens failures. Even an entire body failure. Never a card failure.

Dual memory card slots doesn’t make the bottom of my wish list.

For important occasions – I have two if not three cameras in the bag. Having dual card slots adds some albeit minimal value.

Discover that you have a dead card the next day? Do you seriously never chimp the images? Never mind card failure – there are 100 things that can go wrong with the camera that prevents capturing images. You have to check along the way.

I bet you format the card before every session as well?

Upvote 0