Canon EOS 90D promotional video appears to have leaked

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
Nice feature, but not sure it would be 100% reliable. In my experience wireless rearly is.

I agree.

I wouldn’t bet more than a ham sandwich on the functionality - but the WiFi on my 80d has proven to be a neat trick. I have used it to get images to my phone while on location (either for texts or Facebook). Also have sent images to a little photo printer. Nice way to show off.

The canon implementation of connectivity is, however, an abomination. It works - but barely. Hope it improves in the new cameras.

(Much more useful than dual card slots ;) )

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Reusing parts doesnt make sense as both 80D and 6D mk2 have USB mini-B connector with High-speed capabilities while both 7D mk2 and 5d mk4 have USB 3.0 micro-B connector with super speed capabilities(i.e 5Gbps). So yeah I dont know how they are using reusing parts to save costs here.

The RP has a USB-C connector with a USB2 interface.

Upvote 0
Wow so negative. But I'm confused - what do you mean by "The only question is whether Canon has learned anything" - learned from what?
The negativity, mockery, and general perception new buyers have of the brand as being technologically behind (because they are). They went from the feature leader to the begrudging follower who only adds features when they have to and they still find ways to cripple those features. Canon management made public statements to the effect of "we're not going to hold back anymore." Clearly that's not true, or Canon really is in far deeper trouble than anyone imagined if these cameras are the best Canon can make.

I'm sure Canon will be deeply grateful for your insightful explanation of the economic realities.

That'll be why Canon continues to outsell all of its competitors then, eh?
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It will catch up to them eventually. The idea that they can't be knocked off their perch flies in the face of reality. IBM still has a stranglehold on the PC market right? Blackberry still has the dominant share of smart phones right? RCA and Zenith still are the dominant brands of TVs right?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The RP has a USB-C connector with a USB2 interface.
Same as 90D. Also why are they still using old USB 2.0 controllers when most modern PC dont even come with USB 2.0 connectors anymore. I really appreciate that Canon has finally dumped mini-B and micro-B connectors from its cameras. At best USB 2.0 provides a data transfer speed of 25MBps and tethering using that old interface is painful at best.

Upvote 0
Ahhh. . . . . The dreaded single card failure scenario.

I can’t tell you the number of times I have been burned by a card failure.

Since the advent of digital photos in the 90s – I may have lost two entire images due to data corruption. Maybe three. I have never lost an entire card.

No - that’s not true. Thinking back, I have lost two cards. Each case – lost the card along with the entire camera. I travel hard.

I have had more flash failures than I care to count. I have also had lens failures. Even an entire body failure. Never a card failure.

Dual memory card slots doesn’t make the bottom of my wish list.

For important occasions – I have two if not three cameras in the bag. Having dual card slots adds some albeit minimal value.

Discover that you have a dead card the next day? Do you seriously never chimp the images? Never mind card failure – there are 100 things that can go wrong with the camera that prevents capturing images. You have to check along the way.

I bet you format the card before every session as well?
I once had a card failure (new SanDisk extreme pro) the day after, it can happen. Had also some lost images, broken lens, failing body and once stolen camera (keep backup sd card always on you and change cards). Unless you want to be that wedding photographer that gets a headline in the local newspaper that he lost some couples wedding pictures and gets sued (yes seen that multiple times).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I've read enough of your posts to respect your opinion, but:

1. I do not like the 5DIV above f/11; the loss of resolution is excessive. In fact, at some point I'll pull out my 6D to compare, f/11-f/16.
2. The 80D resolution is distinctly inferior for macro, with the same lens (Sigma 70mm Art) and framing the subject the same.

Is it likely I have a bad copy of the 80D? What does DLA mean to you?

1. Diffraction is a function of enlargement, if you enlarge the 5D MkIV and 6D the diffraction is the same, the smaller pixels of the 5D MkIV might be able to define the diffraction better, but the diffraction is the same in both images at the same size. It's only when you go to "100%" (or any percentage enlargement of pixel numbers not area) that the differences in same sized sensors becomes visible, but think about it, if you enlarge anything 'more' than something else it will show optical aberrations more even though they are actually the same.

2. Probably not, but you are enlarging a smaller pixel to a larger size thus exaggerating any aberrations more.

Possible, but probably not. DLA means this to me https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Imagine this scenario. You have a 24mm long fly, you can reproduce that at 1:1 on your 80D, 5D MkIV or 6D, on the 80D it fills the frame but it is reproduced the same size on all the sensors. Take the three shots at the same settings.

Now make three 8" x 10" prints where the fly fills the paper, the 80D print is uncropped, obviously, the other two are cropped but the fly is the same size on all three prints. The diffraction is the same in all three prints. Now really crop in to the eye of the fly and make three more 8" x 10" prints where just the eye of the fly fills the print, the diffraction is the same but, assuming good technique etc the image with the most pixels will retain the most detail even though theoretically it is 'suffering' DLA, all it really means is the pixels are capable of defining the airy discs of the diffraction, those airy discs are the same in all three photos though.

More pixels on a same area are never worse, they just sometimes don't give you much more detail, especially in macro shooting scenarios where reproduction size and capture ratios are so important.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
There is no doubt the 90D has valid improvements over the 80D, but not so much over the competition. It makes me think of buying a car without air conditioning or some other standard feature. Don't get me wrong I love Canon. I think the L lenses are superb. But I would like to feel proud of the camera company. Of course gear isn't everything and if you know what you're doing you can take great photos no matter what you use. I'm not a highly tech person, but it's obvious to me Canon has slowed down it's pace in comparison to other manufacturers unless they are waiting for the right time to shock the world with something completely different. I personally think Sony is leading the way and setting the standards for the 21st century with Nikon and then Canon after it. Just my opinion... I was venting just now.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It will catch up to them eventually.
The sun will become a red giant and destroy the earth eventually.

Meanwhile, people here have been saying for years that Canon is doomed. Maybe they’ll be right before the earth is obliterated.

Upvote 0
The sun will become a red giant and destroy the earth eventually.

Meanwhile, people here have been saying for years that Canon is doomed. Maybe they’ll be right before the earth is obliterated.
Way to sell it short. It's a near absolute certainty that at some point in the next few billion years Canon will be doomed.

Upvote 0
No-one I know with a recent Canon crop DSLR wanted more pixels. They wanted BETTER pixels. I really hope the DR and high ISO performance is good on this new camera. I'm also guessing that only the very best top-end glass will resolve 32MP on a crop sensor.

The Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 Art are going to rock on this thing.

I've read enough of your posts to respect your opinion, but:

1. I do not like the 5DIV above f/11; the loss of resolution is excessive. In fact, at some point I'll pull out my 6D to compare, f/11-f/16.
2. The 80D resolution is distinctly inferior for macro, with the same lens (Sigma 70mm Art) and framing the subject the same.

Is it likely I have a bad copy of the 80D? What does DLA mean to you?

I use both the Sigma 18-35 an 50-100 on the 80D often stopped down as far as they will go for landscape work and at 100% I am not finding issues with the picture. Properly designed crop glass will work better on a crop camera than FF glass.

Upvote 0
The negativity, mockery, and general perception new buyers have of the brand as being technologically behind (because they are). They went from the feature leader to the begrudging follower who only adds features when they have to and they still find ways to cripple those features. Canon management made public statements to the effect of "we're not going to hold back anymore." Clearly that's not true, or Canon really is in far deeper trouble than anyone imagined if these cameras are the best Canon can make.

Why do you think negativity and mockery by a small number of people online (a minority even of forum dwellers, who are themselves a vanishingly small percentage of the total camera-buying population) is of interest to them, if sales continue to go their way? You can find negativity and mockery anywhere online regarding any subject imaginable. I would suggest it's foolish to base business decisions on that. And they don't have to make the best cameras they can, they just have to make cameras that sell well enough, with enough profit margin, to continue bringing in adequate revenues.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It will catch up to them eventually. The idea that they can't be knocked off their perch flies in the face of reality.

This discussion has been had before, on other threads. Past performance is indeed no guarantee of future results but it can be a good indication - it would be foolish to ignore consistently good (market) performance for many years when trying to determine which companies are best placed to continue in the near future. "It will catch up to them eventually." is a very confident statement indeed, and one which we've heard year after year. I ask you what I ask everyone who says this: based on what specifically (hint: 'they aren't making the product I want' isn't an adequate response), and why now?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Way to sell it short. It's a near absolute certainty that at some point in the next few billion years Canon will be doomed.
True. And as long as your use of the word ‘eventually’ is on the cosmic time scale, you’re correct. Of course, we both know your implication was that the exclusion of 1080p24 and similar ‘crippling’ (your word, not mine) will catch up with them soon. Because, you know, 1080p24 is absolutely mission critical for a huge swath of the ILC market.

Upvote 0
Why do you think negativity and mockery by a small number of people online (a minority even of forum dwellers, who are themselves a vanishingly small percentage of the total camera-buying population) is of interest to them, if sales continue to go their way? You can find negativity and mockery anywhere online regarding any subject imaginable. I would suggest it's foolish to base business decisions on that. And they don't have to make the best cameras they can, they just have to make cameras that sell well enough, with enough profit margin, to continue bringing in adequate revenues.
You don't know that the number of potential camera buyers who are unhappy with these cameras is vanishingly small. In fact all signs point to the fact that the majority of camera buyers are "unhappy" with them. Canon has less than a 50% market share. That means that the majority of camera buyers are "unhappy" with them.

This discussion has been had before, on other threads. Past performance is indeed no guarantee of future results but it can be a good indication - it would be foolish to ignore consistently good (market) performance for many years when trying to determine which companies are best placed to continue in the near future. "It will catch up to them eventually." is a very confident statement indeed, and one which we've heard year after year. I ask you what I ask everyone who says this: based on what specifically (hint: 'they aren't making the product I want' isn't an adequate response), and why now?
Sales are on a consistent decline and even Canon predicts that trend will not reverse. So, if you ignore that and only look at marketshare you can call the performance "good". I guess if they want to be the premiere manufacturer of buggy whips in an automobile world that option is open to them.

I didn't say anything about features I want. They are missing features that are being offered by their competitors and Canon seems to be falling further and further behind and are baking in even more and more bizarre artificial limitations into the cameras. Like removing relevant features that they previously offered for no reason.

Upvote 0
True. And as long as your use of the word ‘eventually’ is on the cosmic time scale, you’re correct.
You're the one who switched to the cosmic time scale. I simply pointed out that on a cosmic time scale you were most certainly soft selling the situation.

Of course, we both know your implication was that the exclusion of 1080p24 and similar ‘crippling’ (your word, not mine) will catch up with them soon. Because, you know, 1080p24 is absolutely mission critical for a huge swath of the ILC market.
I didn't say it was absolutely mission critical, but p24 isn't the only crippling in Canon's cameras. The removal of it certainly send a very clear message about the apparent pettiness and arogance of Canon and what they think of their buyers. A business who doesn't have a monopoly can't treat their customers with disdain in this way indefinitely and hope to stay on top.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon has less than a 50% market share. That means that the majority of camera buyers are "unhappy" with them.
In that case, a much much larger majority of camera buyers are unhappy with manufacturers that offer those features you are bashing Canon for omitting.

Evidently, logic is not your forte.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A business who doesn't have a monopoly can't treat their customers with disdain in this way indefinitely and hope to stay on top.
Sure, sure. They’ve been doing it for 16 years now and people have been complaining about it on this forum for over a decade, but it will catch up to them eventually. Cosmically. Got it.

Upvote 0
In that case, a much much larger majority of camera buyers are unhappy with manufacturers that offer those features you are bashing Canon for omitting.

Evidently, logic is not your forte.
There you go again projecting. You seem to have overlooked that the majority of the cameras sold have that feature, so explain your "logic" to me again...

Sure, sure. They’ve been doing it for 16 years now and people have been complaining about it on this forum for over a decade, but it will catch up to them eventually. Cosmically. Got it.
Who said they've been doing it for 16 years now? 10 years ago Canon was on the cutting edge on video features. They're still riding out the momentum they gained 10 years ago by establishing the market.

Upvote 0