Canon EOS M50 & Canon Speedlite 470EX AI To Be Announced February 26, 2018 in Most Places

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/leaked-canon-eos-m50-image-specifications/">Canon EOS M50</a> & <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/leaked-speedlight-470ex-ai-autobounce/">Canon Speedlite 470EX AI</a> are scheduled to be announced on Monday, February 26, 2018 in most locales around the globe. Some may seen the announcement on February 25, 2018.</p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS M50 Specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS (New sensor? EOS M5 is 24.2mp)</li>
<li>Dual pixel CMOS AF</li>
<li>DIGIC 8</li>
<li>4K Video</li>
<li>Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)</li>
<li>Continuous: Up to 10 frames / sec (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)</li>
<li>EVF: 2.36 million OLED</li>
<li>104 million dots vari-angle touch panel liquid crystal display</li>
<li>Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed</li>
<li>Supports the next-generation CR3 RAW format and the new C-RAW compression format
<ul>
<li>The C-RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in – camera RAW</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Development and digital lens optimize</li>
<li>The body is available in black or white</li>
<li>Preorders start on February 27, 2018</li>
<li>Pricing? We’ve been told it’s around the current EOS M6 prices.</li>
<li>This is not a camera above the EOS M5.</li>
</ul>
<p>There has been no mention about the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-2000d-eos-3000d-eos-4000d-eos-m50-registered-with-russian-agency/">rumored Rebels we’ve seen over the last couple of months</a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jun 20, 2013
crazyrunner33 said:
Depending on the 4K codec and if it covers the sensor, I'll order one or two immediately.

and you're happy to deal with the rolling shutter and line skipping? you really don't think canon's is going to do 6K oversampled on their first shot at it are you?

a better option would be to provide both a cropped sensor port of 1.5x crop which will have sharper and less rolling shutter, and also then a full frame one for more static video.

The decision to use a 24MP sensor, kind of leads me to think you'll get a crop though, I *REALLY* wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
crazyrunner33 said:
Depending on the 4K codec and if it covers the sensor, I'll order one or two immediately.

and you're happy to deal with the rolling shutter and line skipping? you really don't think canon's is going to do 6K oversampled on their first shot at it are you?

a better option would be to provide both a cropped sensor port of 1.5x crop which will have sharper and less rolling shutter, and also then a full frame one for more static video.

The decision to use a 24MP sensor, kind of leads me to think you'll get a crop though, I *REALLY* wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

Managing expectations is a good technique. I'm hoping they'll properly perform pixel binning like on the 5D Mark III for 1080p, hopefully the digic 8 was designed for that in mind. If the rolling shutter is no worst than the A7R2/A7S2 or 1DC, I can deal with it.

Hearing the rumors of 100 mbit per second makes it sound like they finally have the kinks worked out for H.264 4K without overheating, that's why I remain a little optimistic. If they fail, then the money I'd put into this cam would go to a speed booster for my GX85.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
crazyrunner33 said:
rrcphoto said:
crazyrunner33 said:

Managing expectations is a good technique. I'm hoping they'll properly perform pixel binning like on the 5D Mark III for 1080p, hopefully the digic 8 was designed for that in mind. If the rolling shutter is no worst than the A7R2/A7S2 or 1DC, I can deal with it.

Hearing the rumors of 100 mbit per second makes it sound like they finally have the kinks worked out for H.264 4K without overheating, that's why I remain a little optimistic. If they fail, then the money I'd put into this cam would go to a speed booster for my GX85.

there was NO rumors of 100mb/sec just us musing about what it could possibly be.

rolling shutter,etc has little to do with DIGIC 8 and far more to do with the sensor itself.

canon uses ramp ADC's and that's technically challenging to get those operating fast enough to minimize rolling shutter over the entire sensor.

we really know nothing about the 4k specs, heck it could be MJPEG even.

Upvote 0
I am a videographer who generally isn't interested in using camera bodies for video. I do, however, like to have something available to take photos that can also do timelapse and possibly even be used as a C-cam at a video shoot. For me, the basic problem with Canon has been the low resolution 1080p that doesn't match their video cameras. The MJPEG was a surprisingly beautiful codec on the 1DC, but it never made much sense as a C cam or plant camera. These new EOSM's may fit the bill. I currently have three of the original EOS M's for timelapse so I already own and love the little EOSM lenses.

In any case, I'm actually optimistic about this new camera and will probably preorder it.

Upvote 0
Canon already loses about 1/3 stop of sensor performance by using DPAF and having smaller sensor. It would be real stunt, if they introduced something like half stop better sensors to what Sony has. As much as I would like to beleive, Canon doesn´t pull rabbits of their hats anymore. I believe in incremental upgrades. This is no M5/M6 killer for stills based people, and we will see about video...

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:

Maybe they've finally managed to produce a BSI sensor or something with a similar potential for fast readout.

They can't wait much longer to get on top of that anyway as their mirrorless cameras won't go far without it.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
MayaTlab said:
rrcphoto said:

Maybe they've finally managed to produce a BSI sensor or something with a similar potential for fast readout.

They can't wait much longer to get on top of that anyway as their mirrorless cameras won't go far without it.

BSI changes zip for readout speed.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
MayaTlab said:
rrcphoto said:

That's not what Nikon has to say about it : https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850TECH1.HTM

Besides it seems to be a prerequisite for stacked sensors.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
MayaTlab said:
rrcphoto said:
MayaTlab said:
rrcphoto said:

That's not what Nikon has to say about it : https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d850/nikon-d850TECH1.HTM

it's not a sensor stack really doesn't depend on what surface you join the substrates to. canon has both BSI and non BSI stacked sensor applications as an example.

also .. nikon went BSI: "rather to give more flexibility in the chip's wiring" which is what BSI allows you to do.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Canon Rumors said:
The C-RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in – camera RAW
Development and digital lens optimize

this is all once sentence, not two points.

Thanks, I was wondering what that 2nd part meant, but makes sense as one sentance.

I'm guessing there is a typo in the 104 million dots point as well. It should probably be 1.04 million otherwise this will be the first camera with a display that out-resolves the sensor :-D

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
MayaTlab said:
rrcphoto said:
MayaTlab said:
rrcphoto said:

it's not a sensor stack really doesn't depend on what surface you join the substrates to. canon has both BSI and non BSI stacked sensor applications as an example.

also .. nikon went BSI: "rather to give more flexibility in the chip's wiring" which is what BSI allows you to do.

Let's restore the quote in its full glory, shall we ? "the reason wasn't to provide better low-light performance (its pixels are big enough that there's not much gain in ISO speed by moving the wiring to the back of the chip), but rather to give more flexibility in the chip's wiring, to achieve the high speed they were after."

Just like you I doubt that we'll see progress in that area with the M50. But who knows ? Maybe they'll move quicker in that area than I anticipate.

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
MayaTlab said:
rrcphoto said:

BSI unlikely. They would have mentioned BSI instead of just saying APS-C CMOS sensor.

Upvote 0
t3eye said:
Not that I want to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only had 4K in time lapse, like the 6D mark II.

I was initially worried they put one of their super 35 or 1" cinema camera sensors in the M50, but now I think time lapse makes more sense.

Oh god, that would flip the community off. I have a fake go pro that can do 4k at 15fps, but i wouldn't call it a 4k camera. Marketing that is borderline misleading

Upvote 0