Canon EOS M50 & Canon Speedlite 470EX AI To Be Announced February 26, 2018 in Most Places

t3eye said:
Not that I want to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only had 4K in time lapse, like the 6D mark II.

I was initially worried they put one of their super 35 or 1" cinema camera sensors in the M50, but now I think time lapse makes more sense.

4K is something everybody claims they need desperately but only little percentage of customers actually use. I realise some people want it and it's fine, but I'm not vlogging and I don't care much about 4K.

I look into having a secondary lightweight backup camera, so I do care about dynamic range and the quality of optics I can potentially mount on it (I have good EF lenses). From a camera I expect something that makes it better than my phone, and it's the image quality.

So the DR will be crucial if I choose between 200D and this new 50M. If it has DR worse than 200D, I don't buy it.

Upvote 0
Quarkcharmed said:
t3eye said:
Not that I want to be pessimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only had 4K in time lapse, like the 6D mark II.

I was initially worried they put one of their super 35 or 1" cinema camera sensors in the M50, but now I think time lapse makes more sense.

4K is something everybody claims they need desperately but only little percentage of customers actually use. I realise some people want it and it's fine, but I'm not vlogging and I don't care much about 4K.

I look into having a secondary lightweight backup camera, so I do care about dynamic range and the quality of optics I can potentially mount on it (I have good EF lenses). From a camera I expect something that makes it better than my phone, and it's the image quality.

So the DR will be crucial if I choose between 200D and this new 50M. If it has DR worse than 200D, I don't buy it.

I don’t know about you but I usually buy electronic stuff (mobile, camera, TV,…) for longer period of time. I don’t buy new stuff at every refresh cycle. So if I would by camera at this time, I would certainly make sure that the camera and the gadgets on it would last for at least few years. Since 4K TVs and monitors have already become quite affordable I would expect that video capabilities of the camera would at least follow the trend in other segments. So I definitely hope that this camera does at least some kind of 4K video and not just timelaps.
Look at your mobile phone. Do you need all the gadgets on it or you just buy it with everything included just to be sure that you don’t miss anything?

At the end I am a buyer that wants as much as possible for as low budget as possible, regardless what I really need.

Upvote 0
1) DIGIC 8,
2) Some kind of 4K,
3) faster AF,
4) viewfinder:
5) new RAW format,
6) available in white :eek:
Overall, the M50 seems better than the M6 (unless the new sensor is 6D Mark II style: old technology in a new release).
The M6 should be better from an ergonomic point of view only (more dials)... if the rumor is true, i think that the M6 will disappear from Canon's offering: M5, M50 and M100 seems quite a wide range of cameras.

I could buy one for my wife's birthday (in July), in order to replace her G12.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
JohanCruyff said:
The M6 should be better from an ergonomic point of view only (more dials)... if the rumor is true, i think that the M6 will disappear from Canon's offering: M5, M50 and M100 seems quite a wide range of cameras.

I doubt, there are people who want a better camera but do not care the extra size and price that the viewfinder causes.

Upvote 0
okaro said:
JohanCruyff said:

I doubt, there are people who want a better camera but do not care the extra size and price that the viewfinder causes.

I understand your point: being a DSLR_user, I instinctively tend to look for the viewfinder even when using my M6 mirrorless... but most of the Mobile_phone_users will appreciate the lack of it.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
JohanCruyff said:

So just a single dial (excluding the mode dial). I'd have expected them to retain at least one more.

I guess "Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible" might mean it's still MJPEG. Which would cause some head explosions on the internet.

Otherwise, looks great and bodes well for future higher-end bodies.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
JohanCruyff said:
okaro said:
JohanCruyff said:

I understand your point: being a DSLR_user, I instinctively tend to look for the viewfinder even when using my M6 mirrorless... but most of the Mobile_phone_users will appreciate the lack of it.

I appreciate the lack of the VF for the smaller body size, that's why I chose the M6 over the M5.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
I'll add it in here too.

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/eos-m50_22.html

24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS
DIGIC 8
Dual pixel CMOS AF with greatly improved performance
AF area is enlarged by about 38% with corresponding lens (100% vertical × 88% wide in live view image display range)
The selectable AF point is a corresponding lens with a maximum of 143 points (99 points for non-compatible lenses)
Pupil detection AF
Dual Sensing IS
Silent mode
DLO in camera
RAW development in camera
Video: 4K 25p / 24p, FHD 60p, HD 120p
Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible
5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS
Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)
Continuous: Up to 10 frames / sec (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)
EVF: 0.39 type 2.36 million dot Organic EL
3 type 104 million dots Bali angle touch panel liquid crystal
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed
Wireless remote controller BR-E1 compatible
Supports HDMI HDR output
Supports the next-generation CR3 RAW format and the new C-RAW compression format
The C - RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in - camera RAW development and digital lens optimizer
Battery: LP-E 12
Size: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7 mm
Weight: 387 g black, 390 g white (including battery and memory card)
Color: Black / White

so eye detection AF is added, not sure what this dual sensing IS is.. silent mode? electronic shutter? greatly improved AF performance. All nice.

Video: 4K 25p / 24p .. did 30p get left out?

There's alot of firsts in here from a canon mirrorless point of view.

more pics of the camera. this is really dumbed down folks. almost M100 dumbed down. probably perfect for vlogging though, everything is from the touchscreen.

no mention of C-LOG, waveforms,etc. this is probably a cheap camera given the ergonomics. but this is a good start, and eye AF and improved DPAF over what we have now spells good thing for the next round of mirrorless updates.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
rrcphoto said:
I'll add it in here too.

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/eos-m50_22.html

24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS
DIGIC 8
Dual pixel CMOS AF with greatly improved performance
AF area is enlarged by about 38% with corresponding lens (100% vertical × 88% wide in live view image display range)
The selectable AF point is a corresponding lens with a maximum of 143 points (99 points for non-compatible lenses)
Pupil detection AF
Dual Sensing IS
Silent mode
DLO in camera
RAW development in camera
Video: 4K 25p / 24p, FHD 60p, HD 120p
Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible
5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS
Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)
Continuous: Up to 10 frames / sec (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)
EVF: 0.39 type 2.36 million dot Organic EL
3 type 104 million dots Bali angle touch panel liquid crystal
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed
Wireless remote controller BR-E1 compatible
Supports HDMI HDR output
Supports the next-generation CR3 RAW format and the new C-RAW compression format
The C - RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in - camera RAW development and digital lens optimizer
Battery: LP-E 12
Size: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7 mm
Weight: 387 g black, 390 g white (including battery and memory card)
Color: Black / White

so eye detection AF is added, not sure what this dual sensing IS is.. silent mode? electronic shutter? greatly improved AF performance. All nice.

Video: 4K 25p / 24p .. did 30p get left out?

There's alot of firsts in here from a canon mirrorless point of view.

more pics of the camera. this is really dumbed down folks. almost M100 dumbed down. probably perfect for vlogging though, everything is from the touchscreen.

no mention of C-LOG, waveforms,etc. this is probably a cheap camera given the ergonomics. but this is a good start, and eye AF and improved DPAF over what we have now spells good thing for the next round of mirrorless updates.

Dual sensing IS is probably the ability to use sensor shift, or IS on the lens, or both at once. Olympus has done that and apparently the two different systems can work together for 5 or more stops of IS.....

This looks like an awesome camera and is what I have expected Canon to come out with in a mirrorless body, except where is the 30+ Fps burst mode???? And if that's my only complaint, WOW! WHAT A CAMERA!.... I can't wait to see what a FF or a higher level crop camera will bring....

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Don Haines said:
This looks like an awesome camera and is what I have expected Canon to come out with in a mirrorless body, except where is the 30+ Fps burst mode????

Seems to be there, sort of, in the form of 4K footage frame grabbing. Of course, 8Mpix JPEG only... But the real burst mode (10fps without Servo AF) is likely throughput limited.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sharlin said:
Don Haines said:
This looks like an awesome camera and is what I have expected Canon to come out with in a mirrorless body, except where is the 30+ Fps burst mode????

Seems to be there, sort of, in the form of 4K footage frame grabbing. Of course, 8Mpix JPEG only... But the real burst mode (10fps without Servo AF) is likely throughput limited.

It may show up later in the full specs, but quite often with mirrorless cameras there is a very fast burst rate at reduced resolution.... but time will tell. Even without it, this seems like killer crop camera!

Upvote 0