Canon EOS M6 Mark II promotional video appears to have leaked

Jan 29, 2011
In camera world TTL means through-the-lens, first and foremost, as in TTL metering. That’s interesting. Shortening ”total” to TTL doesn’t really make sense. Plus if they were just standard unused pixels, they would be buried in the spec sheet and not mentioned in a promo video like this.
No I think you will find it means total in this context, the sensor has 34.4 total pixels and 32.5 usable pixels, Canon always present MP like this.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So, the 30fps raw burst mode is 4k raw video I guess so 8mpx resolution, But it's odd that it says it's cropped (but 4k video isn't?)

The other interesting thing is that it says "detachable EVF". Does that mean it's bundled?

If so, then I guess we're not seeing an M5 at all, and the M6 will replace it. probably not a bad idea, the M6 with the tilty uppy screen and detachable viewfinder is far more flexible.

Upvote 0
So, the 30fps raw burst mode is 4k raw video I guess so 8mpx resolution, But it's odd that it says it's cropped (but 4k video isn't?)

The other interesting thing is that it says "detachable EVF". Does that mean it's bundled?

If so, then I guess we're not seeing an M5 at all, and the M6 will replace it. probably not a bad idea, the M6 with the tilty uppy screen and detachable viewfinder is far more flexible.
I'm not sure where you get this idea from the M6 isn't replacing the M5. The M6 had a detachable EVF, the M6 Mark II does as well. there's no change there.

Upvote 0
Anybody care to speculate about the significance of this? Why mention the "actual" MP value at all, and why "TTL"?

View attachment 186061
Canon usually puts both numbers, not usually like this but the total sensor MP <> the actual usable pixels.
no grand mystery.. really ;)

Upvote 0
possible leaked spec sheet?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ELQFqaBQW4HwZC1hUOe7UpePtUDSVkBM/view?usp=drive_open

UHS-II and eye detection in servo during movies!?
No 24fps. And no 60fps in 1080p?

What's the actual FPS on this thing with tracking priority? It says

High-speed + (one-shot and Servo): 14
High-speed (one-shot and Servo): 7
Low-speed (one-shot and Servo): 3

My m50 does 10fps but not in servo. In low speed continuous m50 does 4fps on paper...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2013
...in a different thread, I wrote this:

(1) In my hands, the ISO was too easily accidentally changed in the M6 I. It looks like this has been changed.

Regarding (1) Are you sure it is being changed accidentally? How do you think it is being accidentally changed and can you reproduce the problem? As you know, there are different ways of changing the ISO value on the M6. I've always had a problem with my M6 that the ISO changes on its own - yes, really. I love the camera, but this is by far the biggest problem. I've been using Canon cameras since 1981 - this is not a newbie user error.

Despite trying, I can't recreate the problem at will. At first I thought I was accidentally turning the ISO dial underneath the exposure compensation dial, but this dial is actually quite stiff and difficult to turn accidentally. On many occasions while walking around turning the camera on and off taking photos, I have suddenly realised that the ISO has changed from Auto to 25600. Sometimes it will change to another value, but it mainly changes to 25600.

If it changes to ISO 100 in daylight that isn't a problem. However, ISO 25600 makes all the images too grainy to use. This is very, very annoying especially if I am taking photos at a location where I can't return easily. While photographing the ruins at My Son in Vietnam a couple of years ago I was just about to leave when I realised the ISO was set at 25600. When I started shooting the value was Auto. The initial photos were fine, but suddenly everything went to a fixed ISO of 25600 without me changing anything.

At first I was convinced that it was me inadvertently changing it somehow, but it's not. I have considered all the possible ways that I could change the ISO accidentally and tried to recreate the problem, but without success. On a couple of occasions I have looked down at the screen and seen the ISO scale pop up on its own.

Since realising the camera has this issue I have to look at the display frequently to check that the ISO value I set (normally Auto) hasn't changed by itself.

On forums I have seen a couple of other people complaining about the same problem with the M6, but not many. I guess that most people think they are doing it themselves accidentally or that it only exists on some, not all, M6's. I used the original EOS M before the M6 and never had this problem.

Anyway, I am a big EOS M series fan and will buy an EOS M6 II. Hopefully, this annoying problem will not exist in the new model.

Also, focus bracketing was mentioned in a previous rumoured spec list, but not in this latest video. That was a feature I really liked the sound of for macro and focus stacking.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
No 24fps. And no 60fps in 1080p?

I hope this is a mistake, but it's hard to tell after the RP. It should be noted that the spec list doesn't include FHD 120p/100p either, yet the front page explicitly mentions it as a feature. Maybe the spec list doesn't include all the movie frame rates?

Edit: I also noticed an error in the 4k movie size line "4K – 2840 x 2160 (NTSC: 29.97 PAL: 25 fps)". 4k is 3840 x 2160. Could this sheet be a fake?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I hope this is a mistake, but it's hard to tell after the RP. It should be noted that the spec list doesn't include FHD 120p/100p either, yet the front page explicitly mentions it as a feature. Maybe the spec list doesn't include all the movie frame rates?

Edit: I also noticed an error in the 4k movie size line "4K – 2840 x 2160 (NTSC: 29.97 PAL: 25 fps)". 4k is 3840 x 2160. Could this sheet be a fake?
Also noticed it says total pixels : 25.8

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Upvote 0
Regarding (1) Are you sure it is being changed accidentally? How do you think it is being accidentally changed and can you reproduce the problem? As you know, there are different ways of changing the ISO value on the M6. I've always had a problem with my M6 that the ISO changes on its own - yes, really. I love the camera, but this is by far the biggest problem. I've been using Canon cameras since 1981 - this is not a newbie user error.

Despite trying, I can't recreate the problem at will. At first I thought I was accidentally turning the ISO dial underneath the exposure compensation dial, but this dial is actually quite stiff and difficult to turn accidentally. On many occasions while walking around turning the camera on and off taking photos, I have suddenly realised that the ISO has changed from Auto to 25600. Sometimes it will change to another value, but it mainly changes to 25600.

If it changes to ISO 100 in daylight that isn't a problem. However, ISO 25600 makes all the images too grainy to use. This is very, very annoying especially if I am taking photos at a location where I can't return easily. While photographing the ruins at My Son in Vietnam a couple of years ago I was just about to leave when I realised the ISO was set at 25600. When I started shooting the value was Auto. The initial photos were fine, but suddenly everything went to a fixed ISO of 25600 without me changing anything.

At first I was convinced that it was me inadvertently changing it somehow, but it's not. I have considered all the possible ways that I could change the ISO accidentally and tried to recreate the problem, but without success. On a couple of occasions I have looked down at the screen and seen the ISO scale pop up on its own.

Since realising the camera has this issue I have to look at the display frequently to check that the ISO value I set (normally Auto) hasn't changed by itself.

On forums I have seen a couple of other people complaining about the same problem with the M6, but not many. I guess that most people think they are doing it themselves accidentally or that it only exists on some, not all, M6's. I used the original EOS M before the M6 and never had this problem.

Anyway, I am a big EOS M series fan and will buy an EOS M6 II. Hopefully, this annoying problem will not exist in the new model.

Also, focus bracketing was mentioned in a previous rumoured spec list, but not in this latest video. That was a feature I really liked the sound of for macro and focus stacking.
[/QUOTE

My wife has this iso changing issue on her M6 and so do I when I use it. What happens is that when you turn the camera off, you turn the dial with the on/off switch. So you need to be careful to only move the on/off switch. It's very easy to move the dial this way.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
Finally an M series camera to replace my EOS-M. Hope the DR is on par with the 5DIV.

Also, the 1:1 image resolution is 6960x6960, this cannot be right. There's also a HDR video resolution ??? Also, the total number of pixels 25.8Mpix is identical to the M6, which I think really indicates this is a fake spec sheet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0