Canon EOS R “One YEAR Later” REVIEW…does it hold up?

LOL .. I sure like Jared, but he lives in a BUBBLE !!

Its remarkable how many photographers I know, and hear from, who added the EOS R to their 5D mk iv or replaced their 5D mk iv .. even for weddings. More later can be cool, but Polin is living in a constrained little bubble world guaging from one of his comments.

I've go more than enough money for a 5D mk iv today. But I'm looking at a 2nd EOS R instead. And would gladly get a new model extra next year whenever that happens.

These Youtube reviewers have a real problem these days. somehow rubbing shoulders with gear heads and video hounds, but not so much the average photographers in parks or wedding venues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
A fair video. I too am one of those Canon enthusiasts waiting to see what Canon does for us 5D & 1D users. The wait is becoming a little long, but I too believe that 2020 is the year Canon comes out of the barn with guns blazing. For the time being, my 5DM3 continues to function normally and still takes stunning photos. I also have a Sony RX100V for casual use and a recent shoot I did with both cameras, I was surprised to see that my Sony actually produced photos that were far superior to my 5D. It's rare that happens, but nonetheless, the technology that's out right now means Canon better step up to the plate and get with the modern mirrorless setup and it better impress.

I will continue to patiently wait, and I'm excited to see what Canon has in store for the pro & pro-enthusiast crowd. Canon's RF glass is simply stunning and I hope they come out with cameras that are worthy of such engineering.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have been very happy with the EOS R. While I wish it was better for shooting action (I know Canon could make this an 7-8fps shooter with AF) and had dual cards - the camera has been fantastic. I use it nearly every single day of the year.
I'm seriously thinking the firmware update is going to really make it better for that.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hey Jared, loads of people I know are shooting wedding professionally with dual r setups. Myself included and these aren't weekend 10 a year fly boys either but serious photographers shooting full time.

But ya'll got to get them clicks amirite?
The focus hit rate is unbelievable.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Too bad this didn't come out until the new firmware could be evaluated.

The R is what it is and it was positioned below the 5D4. It has IQ comparable to the 5D4, but its inferior for sports... but its price is also a lot lower than the 5D4.
I think it might be slightly more noisy at higher ISOs. I wish someone would do a real comparison. the majority i see are video ones.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The video is less than 7 minutes. chill
“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.” ― Albert Einstein
To you, Fro is clearly a pretty girl; to me he's a hot stove, like most of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I like Jared's videos but he does sometimes wrongly imply that his observations apply to all photographers. Few, if any, of his criticisms of Canon gear affect landscape photographers, for instance.
LOL .. I sure like Jared, but he lives in a BUBBLE !!

Its remarkable how many photographers I know, and hear from, who added the EOS R to their 5D mk iv or replaced their 5D mk iv .. even for weddings. More later can be cool, but Polin is living in a constrained little bubble world guaging from one of his comments.

I've go more than enough money for a 5D mk iv today. But I'm looking at a 2nd EOS R instead. And would gladly get a new model extra next year whenever that happens.

These Youtube reviewers have a real problem these days. somehow rubbing shoulders with gear heads and video hounds, but not so much the average photographers in parks or wedding venues.
I think the screen or af box after photo taken is a little too slow for the motion parts of a wedding. It's usuable I just feel the 5div evf/ovf seems more responsive.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A fair video. I too am one of those Canon enthusiasts waiting to see what Canon does for us 5D & 1D users. The wait is becoming a little long, but I too believe that 2020 is the year Canon comes out of the barn with guns blazing. For the time being, my 5DM3 continues to function normally and still takes stunning photos. I also have a Sony RX100V for casual use and a recent shoot I did with both cameras, I was surprised to see that my Sony actually produced photos that were far superior to my 5D. It's rare that happens, but nonetheless, the technology that's out right now means Canon better step up to the plate and get with the modern mirrorless setup and it better impress.

I will continue to patiently wait, and I'm excited to see what Canon has in store for the pro & pro-enthusiast crowd. Canon's RF glass is simply stunning and I hope they come out with cameras that are worthy of such engineering.

Do you mind sharing the two pictures with exif data from both cameras, where the Sony RX was "far superior" to the 5d3? I would love to see how this is possible, thanks.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hey Jared, loads of people I know are shooting wedding professionally with dual r setups. Myself included and these aren't weekend 10 a year fly boys either but serious photographers shooting full time.

But ya'll got to get them clicks amirite?
I would probably be shooting weddings with two R cameras if it had dual memory cards. With only a single card, it scares the bejeezus out of me!

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2018
Too bad this didn't come out until the new firmware could be evaluated.

The R is what it is and it was positioned below the 5D4. It has IQ comparable to the 5D4, but its inferior for sports... but its price is also a lot lower than the 5D4.
Now he can also make a video about the new firmware. Gotta catch all the clicks on youtube!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0