Canon EOS R “One YEAR Later” REVIEW…does it hold up?

Mar 25, 2011
I have my EOS R and my 5D MK IV, by all measures, my MK IV is better, but it sits unused and I should have sold it long ago. My R is right next to me and gets used because its slightly smaller and easier to take with me. I changed that a bit when a Bought a battery grip, but it still gets the use. After a year, that still is the case.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have my EOS R and my 5D MK IV, by all measures, my MK IV is better, but it sits unused and I should have sold it long ago. My R is right next to me and gets used because its slightly smaller and easier to take with me. I changed that a bit when a Bought a battery grip, but it still gets the use. After a year, that still is the case.

I have a 5DS, but more often shoot the EOS R. The 5DS is the same size as a mk iii or your mk iv. The EOS R is like the perfect body size. It's odd how bulky the 5DS feels after holding the EOS R first.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.” ― Albert Einstein
To you, Fro is clearly a pretty girl; to me he's a hot stove, like most of them.
That HAS to be the first time Fro has been compared to a pretty girl.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I stopped following Jared a while back. He's a camera gear guy and doesn't provide creative content. That's what I'm after. I'm no where near exhausting my old cameras. I'd love to have eye autofocus that is superior to Sony's but at this time, I need to learn how to shoot better. Looking at a spec sheet will never do that for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hi Jared. Thanks for your input, and the time you spend on these reviews.
I agree that the herky-jerky view while shooting fast is a major problem. Shooting single frames works fine, but I tried shooting surfers with this camera and it was a real joke. Once I start shooting there is No way to tell where the surfer is at any given moment. The slow frame rate does not help either…
And yes, the new firmware does not appear to remedy either of these two main issues.

I have to say the focus has been extremely accurate on this camera. Best on any Canon camera in my opinion. Thus my results have been sharper than ever. Output is sharper than my 5D4. Maybe it’s the lack of vibration, better AF, sharper lenses...improved/tweaked sensor?

I also agree that they’re doing a great job with the lenses, and I have no doubt that great bodies will be coming soon.

Cheers.
When is soon? 2022? Sheesh...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have a 5DS, but more often shoot the EOS R. The 5DS is the same size as a mk iii or your mk iv. The EOS R is like the perfect body size. It's odd how bulky the 5DS feels after holding the EOS R first.
Same with the 90D in terms of size, and it kicks the butt of the R for resolution and latching on to a bird in flight.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I would probably be shooting weddings with two R cameras if it had dual memory cards. With only a single card, it scares the bejeezus out of me!
Not even that. Weather protection isn’t up to sniff on R. Ask Viggo. :(. What if it is wet or humid and you have to keep shooting? Don’t think this camera was designed with all weather conditions in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is perplexing. If the 5D mk4 is better than the EOS R by all measures then why do you prefer to use the EOS R? Are you saying that the difference in size is so significant that it outweighs all other considerations?
Which lens do you use on the EOS R? Most of the EOS R lenses I have seen are at least as large as their EF equivalents, so is the camera really that much smaller than a 5D m4 when a lens is mounted, especially if you are using the battery grip?
I am intrigued by the EOS R and I want to keep an open mind about it, but I see so many conflicting reports that I am not sure what to believe.

Upvote 0
I skipped the 5D4 and kept shooting my 5D3 and 5DSR, although more and more I was using my Fuji X100F. Anyhoo I bought an EOS R with 24-105 kit when returning from overseas as I got it around 35% cheaper than UK prices at the time. I will admit, initially I didn't like the EOS R. The AF-On button is no longer in a natural position for the right thumb, and the lack of joystick really ground my gears. With the firmware updates it has improved, and the video quality from it has really impressed me. The 4K might be cropped, but wow is it good quality at the high bit rates. However, I've had a real struggle with the EOS R when adapting my 70-200. It has just been awful. Every other lens adapted has been fine, but with the 70-200 and moving subjects I've found I had to get the 5D3 out.

Because of this I've spent the last two months looking into Fuji, as the X100F is my favourite camera I've ever used. I am about to pull the trigger on a Fuji X-T3, and will look at getting the X-Pro3 when it comes out, and they'll become my pair of primary bodies.

I appreciate what Canon did with the EOS R, they are moving in the right direction, but after doing the financials I can set up a Fuji kit with very good Fujinon lenses to cover my needs for much less than what it is going to be going the Canon RF route as the lenses are coming in VERY expensive in the UK.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I skipped the 5D4 and kept shooting my 5D3 and 5DSR, although more and more I was using my Fuji X100F. Anyhoo I bought an EOS R with 24-105 kit when returning from overseas as I got it around 35% cheaper than UK prices at the time. I will admit, initially I didn't like the EOS R. The AF-On button is no longer in a natural position for the right thumb, and the lack of joystick really ground my gears. With the firmware updates it has improved, and the video quality from it has really impressed me. The 4K might be cropped, but wow is it good quality at the high bit rates. However, I've had a real struggle with the EOS R when adapting my 70-200. It has just been awful. Every other lens adapted has been fine, but with the 70-200 and moving subjects I've found I had to get the 5D3 out.

Because of this I've spent the last two months looking into Fuji, as the X100F is my favourite camera I've ever used. I am about to pull the trigger on a Fuji X-T3, and will look at getting the X-Pro3 when it comes out, and they'll become my pair of primary bodies.

I appreciate what Canon did with the EOS R, they are moving in the right direction, but after doing the financials I can set up a Fuji kit with very good Fujinon lenses to cover my needs for much less than what it is going to be going the Canon RF route as the lenses are coming in VERY expensive in the UK.

Well, we're just going to have to try out your problematic combo.

Otherwise, this post plays almost like a plug for cropped-sensor Fuji cameras. "Hi, I'm brand new to the Canon forum, and I stopped in to tell you all why I'm going to buy thousands of dollars worth of Fuji gear." See what I mean? How it sounds?

Or...Are you hoping to be talked out of pulling the trigger? ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, we're just going to have to try out your problematic combo.

Otherwise, this post plays almost like a plug for cropped-sensor Fuji cameras. "Hi, I'm brand new to the Canon forum, and I stopped in to tell you all why I'm going to buy thousands of dollars worth of Fuji gear." See what I mean? How it sounds?

Or...Are you hoping to be talked out of pulling the trigger? ;)

haha , well I joined the forum in December 2014 so I'm nei sure if that constitutes new!? Given I rarely post.

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone else with probelms with the 70-200 on the EOS R. I'm hoping with firmware 1.4.0 that I'll see an improvement.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
haha , well I joined the forum in December 2014 so I'm nei sure if that constitutes new!? Given I rarely post.

I'd love to hear feedback from anyone else with probelms with the 70-200 on the EOS R. I'm hoping with firmware 1.4.0 that I'll see an improvement.

I'm going to have to remember to check "join date"! Sorry.

But I will try my own 70-200mm to check. It isn't a lens I'm planning to use with the R, as the lens just works so great on the 5DIV. And, in fact, there were theories that the latest ef 70-200mm 2.8 (III?) might have had some slight tweaking to work better with Rf. I don't know.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019
I just got the R this past Thursday and shot a session with it yesterday. It's a good camera. Bordering on great, and definitely not bad. End of story.

My complaints are simple and I think already well documented. It does blank out a little too long between shots. This is honestly my 1 major complaint for photography with the R. I hate the idea that I might have to spend more money to get this one little thing improved. Hopefully they'll hook us up with a firmware upgrade at some point! Sure the 5fps is kinda laughable, but the image blackout between frames is worse in practice.

It's also just a nice camera to use daily. May not have the super fast face tracking of a Sony, or the near 0 blackout, but it's a nice camera to use.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Just shows were all different. When I do portraits in the studio I much prefer the 5DS than the EOS R. So many things about the EOS R annoy me, I disabled the touch-bar, I dislike the touch screen for moving focus-points, I dont like the freeze between taking shots it ruins the flow when working with a model. The back button focus button is totally in the wrong place compared to the 5DS. The 5DS balances better with the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM zoom, the joystick is quick & simple, no annoying viewfinder delay between shots.

Ive forced myself to use the EOS R and Ive found with the new RF 24-240mm its a great walk around camera, I used it last weekend at Stowe Gardens and I have to say I was impressed given the cost of the RF 24-240mm on the EOS R.

Upvote 0

Is it struggling because it's the 70-200 or is it struggling because you are targeting moving subjects? I've definitely used the 100-400 II on the R and I think I have used the 70-200 II on it as well, and for static, mostly stationary subjects, the R is fine. However, the VF lag/freeze makes tracking/bursts difficult and unpleasant.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
I agree with perplexing. Unit volume is going to be a real sticky problem. The real interesting mega glass for the R is a decent bet - coming out with identical f number focal lengths a bit smaller doesn't lend itself to be lens sales, just adapter sales, and only 1 of those per camera.

Beginners, etc are being "held" by improving cell phone imagery. So I see the M6.2 is quite the little beast even if I have to put a couple of small batteries in my pocket (Not a BFD) and a powerful step for the beginners/upgraders from cell imagery - even w/ the external EVF. For the beginner I can see them sticking 2 or 3 M6.2 in the pocket in ziploc bags and who cares if it isn't weather sealed, hence why I think it forms the bottom of the spec list. Someone comes out with an EF to M adapter w/ slide in filter or smart ring and one gets a jolly capable package (magic lantern guys could make the smart ring work - but I digress)

Back to unit volume. Binds up the product planning at Canon. Too much video and the C line has to get moving (waiting for the global shutter event - that is IMHO their next game changer). The "Pro" R isn't a camera, I think it is a pair. 1 for folks like me who are pretty happy in the 8-10 FPS but would really like to see the giant pixel counts. (I do like crop zoom w/ the right glass - makes my kit smaller or much greater reach w/ a single body). The other is the giant FPS rate keep the same or even lower resolution for the uber FPS with focusing, etc, etc.

Canon is in the biz of separating us from our money. They have an nearly (not quite completely) overwhelming market share. They aren't likely - other than glass - to leap to the front of the spec list race.

I am hoping for the giant MP count and 8 fps. I am most likely doomed but....

My history if you are interested:

My go to is an aging 1dx and my "oh yea I don't need to take the 5 pounder..." is the 5d3. Long story short, I bought it used cheaper "net" than I could rent for a 2 week trip, but I forgot to sell it. I have rented the 5dSr and the Sony A6500. I really like mirrorless. I really like the 5DsR for the resolution.

My interest in mirrorless? The answer.
I was with photo friends at the world class birding site Blackwater Drive/Merritt Island Refuge with both the 1dx and A6500. Some bird flew by and EVERYONE had a chuckle when the 1dx "went off" at 14 FPS (they all have 5ds) and they were 10 yards (meters) away. Swapped to the A6500 and one meter away after a similar event I said "got it" and my buddy asked incredibly "you shot?" effectively silent. For wildlife, golfers, weddings, etc. The silence of the mirrorless was just game changing - Anything other than football or perhaps hockey the 1dx/Nikon equivalent has got to be distracting. I suspect you could get away with mirrorless at a golf tournament if you where 20 meters away - plenty close w/ a 70-200.

I saw the post about not liking the freeze frame of the R when shooting continuously - I find it less distracting that the OVF blackout, image shift, etc. For subject panning/tracking purposes, I kept both eyes open.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to remember to check "join date"! Sorry.

But I will try my own 70-200mm to check. It isn't a lens I'm planning to use with the R, as the lens just works so great on the 5DIV. And, in fact, there were theories that the latest ef 70-200mm 2.8 (III?) might have had some slight tweaking to work better with Rf. I don't know.

I should add its the 70-200 II that I have. I was using the EOS R with my 50 f/1.2 at the weekend and I have to say I am more than impressed!

The issue I've had with the 70-200 II on the EOS R was tracking moving subjects, I had several sequences of shots of erratic moving subjects where most of the shots missed focus. The new firmware is tomorrow though and I'm off to the Highland Safari Park in Scotland on Saturday so I'll try out the new firmware properly on Saturday. I'm taking my toddler son with me so I'll get him to run around a bit and see how the 70-200 handles his wild and wobbly antics.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I should add its the 70-200 II that I have. I was using the EOS R with my 50 f/1.2 at the weekend and I have to say I am more than impressed!

The issue I've had with the 70-200 II on the EOS R was tracking moving subjects, I had several sequences of shots of erratic moving subjects where most of the shots missed focus. The new firmware is tomorrow though and I'm off to the Highland Safari Park in Scotland on Saturday so I'll try out the new firmware properly on Saturday. I'm taking my toddler son with me so I'll get him to run around a bit and see how the 70-200 handles his wild and wobbly antics.
I think active portraits with longer focal-lengths might be problematic with this EVF. Please let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0