Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Sep 20, 2020
I tend to agree, if it were 45mp then why not 8k? I am not a tech guy, but would BSI have anything to do with lack of 8k? Doesn't seem so but I don't know.
Canon announced that the R3 will shoot RAW video.
If the sensor is 45 MP then it has to shoot 8K unless the video is cropped.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I might be of the odd opinion here, but I hope it is 30.1 MP and not 45 MP. For 45 MP I already have a R5. I personally would like to have fewer MP and superior high ISO noise so I am really hoping that the R3 fills this need. Moreover, with all the upsampling software I am starting to question why I even need 45 MP vs. 30 MP.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Well raw from a 30MP sensor would mean 6K… but Canon made no mention of 6K raw. So who’s to say it won’t be 45MP with 8K raw? One thing is certain, if it’s 4K raw you are looking at 12MP sensor max, since if oversampled it would not be raw. The only way to get raw with a sensor larger than 12MPs would be to crop in on the sensor, like Red do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
the R3 sensor supposed to be stacked sensor NOT just BSI. there are mix messages.
Most FF camera sensors are BSI especially those which uses Sony Sensors i.e. Sony, Nikon. Panasonic FF cameras uses FSI. But only A9 and A1 has FF stacked sensors.
Canon says first BSI sensor for R3. what does it mean... is it Stacked BSI sensor or just BSI sensor?

Also, there are R3 being tested by Canon Pros... there must be info out there on sensor. I'm with CR, these would most likely be 30mpx. there are rumours that the next Sony A9 would have a 30Mpx Stacked sensor. Maybe, Canon has leapfrogged Sony to release the R3 with similar sensor spec.

About 45Mpx sensor, I don't think it'll hurt R5 sales if the R3 has 45Mpx sensor. the R3 price bracket would be higher. There are some (like me) whom prefer modular body i.e. battery grip as a seperate part plus using standard LPE6 batteries.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I might be of the odd opinion here, but I hope it is 30.1 MP and not 45 MP. For 45 MP I already have a R5. I personally would like to have fewer MP and superior high ISO noise so I am really hoping that the R3 fills this need. Moreover, with all the upsampling software I am starting to question why I even need 45 MP vs. 30 MP.
It’s going to have better noise performance than the R5 anyway. It’s a stacked sensor. And your same argument could be made for owners of the 30MP Eos R.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
the R3 sensor supposed to be stacked sensor NOT just BSI. there are mix messages.
There are no mixed messages from Canon. It’s a stacked sensor.

“Canon’s first full-frame, back-illuminated stacked CMOS image sensor in the EOS R3 will deliver substantially faster read-out speeds, and produce much lower “rolling shutter” distortion than previous EOS models.”

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Well maybe they are holding certain features back. The over-hyping of 8K on the R5 bit them in the a$$. Maybe they wanted to be absolutely certain the R3 can record 8K all day without overheating, and if it can that would be a major feature to announce on the official reveal. A 45MP R3 is almost certainly and instant buy from me. A 30MP R3 is ok, but I wouldn't rush into it.

Do I believe it will be 45MP, at this stage no, but I'm am hoping it is.
The A1 has shown that 50MP is not an impediment to pro sales and the Z9 is basically confirmed at 45MP and this from a company that has also never offered more than 20MP in a pro camera before. The idea that Canon would be left behind with a deplorable 20MP sensor for effectively a 2022 camera doesn't make sense. The R1 can distinguish itself in many ways from the R3 not least of which is global shutter and QPAF. It is far harder to offer high res global shutter FF sensor so IMO it would make more sense for the R1 to be 30MP.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
It’s going to have better noise performance than the R5 anyway. It’s a stacked sensor. And your same argument could be made for owners of the 30MP Eos R.
The sensor is a BSI stacked sensor. I thought the BSI would improve the noise performance while being stacked would improve the readout speak for AF and removing rolling shutter? Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
This is a Canon BSI stacked sensor, not a Sony, so we have no idea what features could emerge. Stacked sensors theoretically allow for an enormous amount of signal processing in the sensor. This leaves the opportunity open for on-sensor interpolation and therefore variable resolution without cropping. The R5 has low ISO noise reduction in the RAWs, so Canon has made it clear that they are not afraid of pre-processing. Once you open that door, the sensor could be 100 MP and spit out 30 or 45 MP images at high speed and higher res images at somewhat lower speed so as to not overload data cards. Not in any way suggesting that this is what has been done, but rather pointing out that any number of major surprises are quite possible. It is unlikely that Canon is fabbing the processor layer of the stacked sensor (equally unlikely that Sony does as well), so much depends on the geometry of that layer. If it is even as small as 14nm, the possibilities are pretty much endless. We are talking about an available area 35% larger than the biggest GPU chips. It clearly has to clock at much lower speeds, because 300W in the sensor is not practical and would be detrimental to the imaging section, but the amount of processing power would still be huge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0