Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Jun 29, 2016
The 30MP resolution also supported by the fact that the R3 use many of the electronic communication as the R5, thus, if you increase your FPS from 20 to 30, you will need to reduce the number of pixels at the same rate, that is from 45MP to 30MP. All in all, having 30MP is far above most people needs from such a camera. Should one need something higher than 45MP, they can wait a bit for the R5s that will have over 75MP (rumored).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Those are not facts, but I don't think that they are developing new nemory transfer modules for the R3 and they are using the same memory cards with similar capabilities as the ones on the R5.
In Canon’s words the, “EOS R3 will deliver substantially faster read-out speeds,” but you’re suggesting they’ll use the same memory transfer module. Okay.

The idea behind deductive reasoning is that you start with facts and logically draw conclusions from them. If your conclusion is based on speculation, it’s just more speculation. There’s a reason houses shouldn’t be built on sand.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
the R3 sensor supposed to be stacked sensor NOT just BSI. there are mix messages.
Most FF camera sensors are BSI especially those which uses Sony Sensors i.e. Sony, Nikon. Panasonic FF cameras uses FSI. But only A9 and A1 has FF stacked sensors.
Canon says first BSI sensor for R3. what does it mean... is it Stacked BSI sensor or just BSI sensor?

Also, there are R3 being tested by Canon Pros... there must be info out there on sensor. I'm with CR, these would most likely be 30mpx. there are rumours that the next Sony A9 would have a 30Mpx Stacked sensor. Maybe, Canon has leapfrogged Sony to release the R3 with similar sensor spec.

About 45Mpx sensor, I don't think it'll hurt R5 sales if the R3 has 45Mpx sensor. the R3 price bracket would be higher. There are some (like me) whom prefer modular body i.e. battery grip as a seperate part plus using standard LPE6 batteries.
I'm having trouble following. How would Canon be leapfrogging Sony with a 30MP R3, if Sony's A1 has 50MP?
The testers are hand picked by Canon and sign Non Disclosure Agreements. Violating these agreements can have serious consequences so it is no surprise that we have not seen major leaks yet.

I would much prefer 45MP but the sources used seemed very questionable. For instance, the article mentioned 45MP and quad pixel AF when Canon has stated next generation dual pixel AF. The rumors for 30 MP seem more credible at this point, but I am holding onto a sliver of hope.

Upvote 0
Well raw from a 30MP sensor would mean 6K… but Canon made no mention of 6K raw. So who’s to say it won’t be 45MP with 8K raw? One thing is certain, if it’s 4K raw you are looking at 12MP sensor max, since if oversampled it would not be raw. The only way to get raw with a sensor larger than 12MPs would be to crop in on the sensor, like Red do.
Extremely good and valid points.

30.1MP = 6.7K I think, so that would be your only RAW option without cropping unless it's 8K Raw with a 45MP sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For me a 45 MPix sensor would be great if I migrate to a professional camera because it allows for doing things in the high res department.

If there is a high quality on-sensor(chip) downsampled 15 MPix mode for high speed / reduced amount of data (sports for media e.g.) it would be great for action.

If it has great video modes incl. 8k for some special situations (at least for me only if I need to capture a wider field to crop later to e.g. 4k) why not?

I think this would be a very versatile "swiss knife" camera. At ~7 k€ / k$.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The 30MP resolution also supported by the fact that the R3 use many of the electronic communication as the R5, thus, if you increase your FPS from 20 to 30, you will need to reduce the number of pixels at the same rate, that is from 45MP to 30MP.[..]
We don't know if the FPS of the R5 is limited by the sensor, the DIGIC X or something else.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
BTW peeps, it is going to be 30mpix I am pretty sure. What sports photographer wants 45mpix, that will only take more time to process.
But for me as an all-rounder 45mpix hi-speed pro body would be the best I could ever wish for. So I am keeping my fingers crossed...
The R1 is still coming.
That one could be the lower resolution one instead of the R3.
I still believe the R3 will be 30 MP because Canon did not mention 8K video.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Those are not facts, but I don't think that they are developing new nemory transfer modules for the R3 and they are using the same memory cards with similar capabilities as the ones on the R5.
You must also be assuming that the bandwidth of the R5 is maxed out.
That need not be true.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
In Canon’s words the, “EOS R3 will deliver substantially faster read-out speeds,” but you’re suggesting they’ll use the same memory transfer module. Okay.

The idea behind deductive reasoning is that you start with facts and logically draw conclusions from them. If your conclusion is based on speculation, it’s just more speculation. There’s a reason houses shouldn’t be built on sand.
Deductive reasoning off speculation is still deductive reasoning.
What you are referring to as speculation is merely an assumption.
It is not really fair to criticize someone for doing that on a rumor site.
We are all speculating to some degree.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm having trouble following. How would Canon be leapfrogging Sony with a 30MP R3, if Sony's A1 has 50MP?
The testers are hand picked by Canon and sign Non Disclosure Agreements. Violating these agreements can have serious consequences so it is no surprise that we have not seen major leaks yet.

I would much prefer 45MP but the sources used seemed very questionable. For instance, the article mentioned 45MP and quad pixel AF when Canon has stated next generation dual pixel AF. The rumors for 30 MP seem more credible at this point, but I am holding onto a sliver of hope.
Just throwing this out there but it could be that the leaker has an R1 but doesn't know it.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I still believe the overall number of pixels is a bit misleading measure of resolution.
Yup, I know the obvious thing that 45mpx looks much more impressive (and 60mpx does even more) than 30mpx, but it is still only about 1.2 (~1.4, respectively) more pixels in terms of resolution.

The OEMs do they marketing-driven narration, but we don't have to follow, do we?

Upvote 0