Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I still believe the overall number of pixels is a bit misleading measure of resolution.
Yup, I know the obvious thing that 45mpx looks much more impressive (and 60mpx does even more) than 30mpx, but it is still only about 1.2 (~1.4, respectively) more pixels in terms of resolution.

The OEMs do they marketing-driven narration, but we don't have to follow, do we?
A factor of 1.2x in resolution is precisely what you get on going from 500mm to 600mm, and people will pay the extra for a 600mm f/4 over a 500mm f/4. And 1.4x is what you get with a 1.4x, which people will happily use.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The R1 is still coming.
That one could be the lower resolution one instead of the R3.
I still believe the R3 will be 30 MP because Canon did not mention 8K video.
Well Canon did not mention 6K either… so by this logic it’s a 12MP sensor max. Because any more than this would require cropping to still be raw in 4K.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well Canon did not mention 6K either… so by this logic it’s a 12MP sensor max. Because any more than this would require cropping to still be raw in 4K.
6K is a nonstandard resolution.
There are no consumer 6K televisions that I am aware of so it would not be worth mentioning.
The R5 could shoot 6K if Canon wanted it to but there is not really demand for it.
Besides that 30.1 MP would be 6.7K in RAW.
It would just mean that there are no plans to downsample to 6K.
45 MP is exactly 8K.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
6K is a nonstandard resolution.
There are no consumer 6K televisions that I am aware of so it would not be worth mentioning.
The R5 could shoot 6K if Canon wanted it to but there is not really demand for it.
Besides that 30.1 MP would be 6.7K in RAW.
It would just mean that there are no plans to downsample to 6K.
45 MP is exactly 8K.
Sure 6K is worth mentioning. Red even named their camera after it… the “Komodo 6K”, so it’s clearly worth mentioning. R5 could not shoot 6K raw. But that said, I’m not sure why Canon would make the R3 have the same resolution as the Eos R? I think the 45MP sensor makes more sense at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The only question that arises is: What is left for the R1 if the R3 already has a 45mpx camera... but that is pure marketing, so just give us this 45mpix cam and make it affordable!
Wireless control over your implanted neuralink implant - just On/Off switch to be dust and water proof.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Sure 6K is worth mentioning. Red even named their camera after it… the “Komodo 6K”, so it’s clearly worth mentioning. R5 could not shoot 6K raw. But that said, I’m not sure why Canon would make the R3 have the same resolution as the Eos R? I think the 45MP sensor makes more sense at this point.
1) Komodo, BMPCC 6K/K Pro, and C300 Mark III only shoot 6K in RAW.
2) It would shoot 6.7K

Surely you are not arguing that RED would sell fewer cameras if they were 6.7K

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Note that there is no [CR#] in the title. That doesn’t suggest there is any “merit”. It appears this is a just a repost for discussion since someone else would likely do it anyway.

I haven't read the post on Techradar about the R3. But I read another one about "R7", and it is really just a low quality summary of various rumours, guesses & wishes, with [must be author's own opinion about] what sounds creditable and what not so much. At least that is how it looks to me.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The stupidity of announcing a camera and dribbling out information creates negative as well as positive publicity.
One of Canon most successful cameras was the Canon 5D MKII they released at Photokina that didnt have the nonsense we see today.
The internet wasn't what it is today.

Upvote 0