Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I haven't read the post on Techradar about the R3. But I read another one about "R7", and it is really just a low quality summary of various rumours, guesses & wishes, with [must be author's own opinion about] what sounds creditable and what not so much. At least that is how it looks to me.
It's not a post about the R3, it's a regurgitation of a Nikon Rumors (which is at least as reliable as Canon Rumors) post about the Nikon Z9 possibly having a 45 mp sensor. Techradar then added their own unsubstantiated claim that there are rumors about the R3 having a 45 mp sensor. Pretty weak.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
It's not a post about the R3, it's a regurgitation of a Nikon Rumors (which is at least as reliable as Canon Rumors) post about the Nikon Z9 possibly having a 45 mp sensor. Techradar then added their own unsubstantiated claim that there are rumors about the R3 having a 45 mp sensor. Pretty weak.
...... as is your conjecture. lol

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
We would have no way of knowing whether the images are in their native resolution, upscaled, or downscaled.
That is true, however it would have been unlikely that they would have been upscaled. It would be more realistic for them to be downscaled (for web viewing) which should be easy to see... or left at native. If it would have been exactly 30.1 or 45MP it may have been a tell. However PBD already answered the question and said they were rescaled so it's a moot point now.

Upvote 0
There is one fact giving hint R3 is actually ~30mpix. Before release of A1 all Canon rumors was around ponential R1 camera but this changed after specs of A1 has been revealed. I think Canon had plan to release R1 with 30mpix but after they realized i won't compete on paper with 50mpix A1 they had to rename it to R3 and left room for future potential R1 flagship with matching or overleap A1 mpix count.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I might be of the odd opinion here, but I hope it is 30.1 MP and not 45 MP. For 45 MP I already have a R5. I personally would like to have fewer MP and superior high ISO noise so I am really hoping that the R3 fills this need. Moreover, with all the upsampling software I am starting to question why I even need 45 MP vs. 30 MP.
Maybe it's just me--but I doubt it--but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with upsampling software. I've tried Adobe's, and I've tried Topaz, and neither are an adequate substitute for additional pixels.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The Techradar "source" is a Canon Watch article that claims 45MP and quad pixel autofocus. Canon says the R3 will have next generation dual pixel AF so we already have reason to believe that at least half of the Canon Watch information is wrong. This calls into question thr reliability of the 45MP claim from the same source.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Maybe it's just me--but I doubt it--but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with upsampling software. I've tried Adobe's, and I've tried Topaz, and neither are an adequate substitute for additional pixels.
If software like that works, it could also be applied to a high megapixel image of course. So the difference in resolution will stay.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The stupidity of announcing a camera and dribbling out information creates negative as well as positive publicity.
One of Canon most successful cameras was the Canon 5D MKII they released at Photokina that didnt have the nonsense we see today.
So bitter. Must be one of the whiny oldtographers. "BACK IN MA DAY...."

Upvote 0
If canon wants me to switch from EF to RF they'll have to up the 30 MP to 45 MP, or I'll wait and stick with my 5DmkIV.

And if I get tired of waiting I might have a look at what other brands are doing, so they'd better not drag their feet for too long either.

If they make me loose all video modes in exchange: I'll gladly do so.
What is wrong with the R5? It may be the best camera on the market today.

Upvote 0

Caseydull

CR Pro
May 26, 2020
Doesn't it make sense that the R3 is 30.1 megapixel so Canon continues to cater to the sports shooter and then Come out with a 45 or more megapixel R1 as a flagship alternative to Sony's A1 and Nikon's Z9? Canon has impressed me with their lack of the cripple hammer but they always like to tier their cameras to justify the prices. I feel like the R3 is to beat out the Sony A9 II. More megapixel and faster frame rate. Canon is trying to position itself as the best mirrorless system in all categories. I just wish they could get lenses out. I ordered my Canon RF 100-500 March 13th and still nothing from Adorama.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd be fairly sure the R3 will be 30MP because if its 45MP a future R1 would be a hard sell.
Canon though not confirming the sensor size when they announced everything else I think was a mistake.
Maybe it was an advertising guru's idea of keeping peope talking about it but I think it takes away from the R3 30 MP sensor now that 45MP has come up.
Canon would know for a long time what they planned to put in the camera. They should have just announced it all and be done with it.
I still think in time to come the R1 will be hard to wow us.
What will make it significantly better than the R3?

Upvote 0

Caseydull

CR Pro
May 26, 2020
I'd be fairly sure the R3 will be 30MP because if its 45MP a future R1 would be a hard sell.
Canon though not confirming the sensor size when they announced everything else I think was a mistake.
Maybe it was an advertising guru's idea of keeping peope talking about it but I think it takes away from the R3 30 MP sensor now that 45MP has come up.
Canon would know for a long time what they planned to put in the camera. They should have just announced it all and be done with it.
I still think in time to come the R1 will be hard to wow us.
What will make it significantly better than the R3?
The only thing I can think of is the Quad pixel autofocus if the R3 sticks with dual pixel autofocus. Or the holy grail of the global shutter that everyone talks about. I don't know if anyone really wants the 100 MP sensor. Too much storage and too much demand on the computers for processing.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but if you think (or insist) this camera must be 45mp or higher to succeed, this obviously isn't the camera for you. Canon knows what it's doing in this space, that's why they have dominated it for years. They built this for people who shoot fast action, not people who shoot photos of perched birds. While I do fall in this latter category, I have an R5 for those shoots. When things start flying or running 45mp is a problem. I have to almost double the shutter speed I used to use for my 1DX II for the same subjects to compensate for motion blur between pixels, which leads to higher ISOs. Higher ISO gives less detail and I may as well have 20mp. Before anyone starts blathering about downsampling, professional sports photogs don't have time to fuss with that nonsense. They need to shoot and upload. No post processing nonsense. Would I buy it at 45mp? Yes. Would I prefer my action camera to be 30? Absolutely. There's a reason the 1DX series never reached above 20mp, and it's not because pros were begging for more or that they couldn't manage the throughput. After all, the R5 sports the same processor as the 1DX III.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The Techradar "source" is a Canon Watch article that claims 45MP and quad pixel autofocus. Canon says the R3 will have next generation dual pixel AF so we already have reason to believe that at least half of the Canon Watch information is wrong. This calls into question the reliability of the 45MP claim from the same source.
Thanks. I was unaware of the Canon Watch story. I never go to that site, as they seem to mostly recycle @Canon Rumors Guy and other sites and publish anything regardless of whether or not it is credible.

After reading your response, I went to their site and they are now using the Techradar story to substantiate their story -- basically a closed loop. "We publish a rumor, someone else picks it up and then we use their repost of our story to substantiate our story."

Upvote 0