Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specification make the rounds

I mapped the M-Fn button for that, which is exactly next to the shutter button, so AF mode switch from single to multi/track requires just a fraction of a second.
Play with button mapping and AF mode reduction, and see if you can tune something that works for you.
Hey thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole. I didn't want to use M-Fn since I use that to cycle custom shooting modes, but it turns out the R5 has the option to make it so holding the rear autofocus button temporarily sets a specific focus method. I always use front focus, so now a half-shutter press gives me multi/track, and rear focus + half-shutter gives me single point. I think this'll work great once I get some muscle memory built up for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dual CFexpress Type-B? in a 5D-series camera? Why would Canon do that?
Canon have recently reserved dual cards for 1 series but they can always change it if they wanted to. Originally there was a big difference in cost between USH-ii and CFe-B but not so much now. Backward compatibility for SD cards can be an advantage but CFe-B cards have been around for some time now. The main difference for twin CFe-B cards would be dual recording of video and faster buffer clearance - especially if you don't have the fastest USH-ii cards.

Upvote 0
Please don't shoot the messenger.
Cough! Cough! See my many previous prognostications in past posts on CanonRumors! Me thinks I was right (Eventually!) as to what my many worldwide engineering sources were sending me about Canon's future plans for 50+ Megapixel and 60+ fps 4K/8K camera systems! If a remember correctly, I was the one who found and brought to CanonRumors North America the details of the Canon C700x document that was sitting on the UK-based Northlight Images website many years ago that highly-illustrates what Canon was thinking of doing for high resolution Still Photo and Cinema imaging!

It looks like the Canon R5 Mk2 is the shining result of all that early research and development by Canon and it looks like 2024 is when we FINALLY see the buyable-for-real, in-our-hands version of that technology!

I should ALSO NOTE THOUGH, you all will be UTTERLY ASTONISHED as to what Apple is planning in terms of 3D-XYZ 64-bit RGBA colour sensor plus LIDAR/SONAR scanning camera technology used for 2D/3D Cinema production, 2D/3D scanning and 3D metal and plastic-resin printing usage! I have espoused here on the CanonRumors forums via various posts about what is happening in the next 5 years and my sources have been QUITE ACCURATE in their prognostications in the past! I actually DO EXPECT Apple will be making near-future forays into Canon's and Sonyy's high-end video/still photo camera gear territory and they will be coming with SUCH A SET OF TECHNOLOGICAL TOUR-DE-FORCES that Canon, Sony, Fuji, Arri, Leica, Sigma, Samsung, Goggle, Huawei, etc will be GOBSMACKED by what Apple is bringing to the still photo/video cameras and lenses table!

V

• Haha
  • Love
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hey thanks for sending me down that rabbit hole. I didn't want to use M-Fn since I use that to cycle custom shooting modes, but it turns out the R5 has the option to make it so holding the rear autofocus button temporarily sets a specific focus method. I always use front focus, so now a half-shutter press gives me multi/track, and rear focus + half-shutter gives me single point. I think this'll work great once I get some muscle memory built up for it.
That’s how I have it set up as well, the big downside is that moving the single point requires a third hand :)

Upvote 0
Cough! Cough! See my many previous prognostications in past posts on CanonRumors! Me thinks I was right (Eventually!) as to what my many worldwide engineering sources were sending me about Canon's future plans for 50+ Megapixel and 60+ fps 4K/8K camera systems! If a remember correctly, I was the one who found and brought to CanonRumors North America the details of the Canon C700x document that was sitting on the UK-based Northlight Images website many years ago that highly-illustrates what Canon was thinking of doing for high resolution Still Photo and Cinema imaging!

It looks like the Canon R5 Mk2 is the shining result of all that early research and development by Canon and it looks like 2024 is when we FINALLY see the buyable-for-real, in-our-hands version of that technology!

I should ALSO NOTE THOUGH, you all will be UTTERLY ASTONISHED as to what Apple is planning in terms of 3D-XYZ 64-bit RGBA colour sensor plus LIDAR/SONAR scanning camera technology used for 2D/3D Cinema production, 2D/3D scanning and 3D metal and plastic-resin printing usage! I have espoused here on the CanonRumors forums via various posts about what is happening in the next 5 years and my sources have been QUITE ACCURATE in their prognostications in the past! I actually DO EXPECT Apple will be making near-future forays into Canon's and Sonyy's high-end video/still photo camera gear territory and they will be coming with SUCH A SET OF TECHNOLOGICAL TOUR-DE-FORCES that Canon, Sony, Fuji, Arri, Leica, Sigma, Samsung, Goggle, Huawei, etc will be GOBSMACKED by what Apple is bringing to the still photo/video cameras and lenses table!

V
he's baaaack

• Haha
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Get a longer lens then.
The trouble is when you surprise a bear, on a narrow path, for instance. Close encounters can lead to a most dangerous situation.
In the Val di Sole region, there have been lately several attacks by bears on humans, one jogger was even killed, and some forest workers badly hurt . There seems to be an over-population of teddies, which increases the risk of encounters.
So, a longer tele only helps when teddy is far away, and not dangerous at all. :)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ahah you're welcome! :-D
Consider that I've the R6 since almost two years, but still today I'm fine tuning the menu options and the buttons mapping.

Having custom shooting modes on M-Fn is indeed interesting, but having the R6 I never thought of it because that function is just mechanical on the mode dial.
What works best for me (weddings/events, and studio/outdoor portraits) is M-Fn switches the AF modes (which as said are limited to just two, so it's a direct toggle), the DoF button switches between Servo and OneShot, the AF-ON button took the function of the M-Fn (and inside it the choice is limited to just the WB, so it's like a WB button), the Star* button toggles ECO on/off, the AF point selection button toggles EYE on/off, the Q button does the Q button but it opens on the exposure meter mode toggle, the SET buttons controls the Drive modes, the joystick does the joystick and centre press it gets the box back in the centre, and the REC button opens the external flash menu.
Front dial change TV, top dial change ISO, rear dial change AV, so the exposure triangle is all at hand with the three dials; control ring is set to exp compensation, but shooting in manual make it basically disabled al, the time.

Seems pretty wicked :devilish: but for me works good; apart the exposure triangle, the only two parameters that I change on the fly during a shoot are AF modes and OneShot/Servo, and they're mapped to the two closest buttons to my right hand (M-Fn for the index finger, DoF button for the ring finger), while my thumb moves the joystick to move focus in single point AF or to toggle subjects in multi/track.
Drive/exp mode are available but I never touch them so they're mapped to secondary buttons, and the WB after I set it when beginning the work gets never changed too.

Upvote 0
There seems to be an over-population of teddies, which increases the risk of encounters.

I'll dare to say there's an over-population of people invading the teddies territory, and so they rightfully kick dudes out of their home ;)

(Just two days ago in region Abruzzo a female bear was shot-killed by a farmer because she entered his garden; her two baby bears were recovered and luckily they seem to be independent already, so they should be able to survive without the mother. The specific bear ate in the past some chickens, and some cakes in a bakery, but never caused problems with human, she was not scared but also never aggressive, you usually shout her "go go" while clapping hands, and she was going away. A gentle bear).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The trouble is when you surprise a bear, on a narrow path, for instance. Close encounters can lead to a most dangerous situation.
In the Val di Sole region, there have been lately several attacks by bears on humans, one jogger was even killed, and some forest workers badly hurt . There seems to be an over-population of teddies, which increases the risk of encounters.
So, a longer tele only helps when teddy is far away, and not dangerous at all. :)
The sight of an 800mm f/5.6 as a club might frighten the bear?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
\"New button layout and controls\"

This is how we know this rumor is true. Why would Canon leave the perfect button layout of the R5 alone?
I found this a bit of a weird statement, Both the R6ii and R8 have retained most of the same button layout. You would have to now both cameras intimately to visually distinguish between an RP and a R8 or between a R6 and R6ii. The R5 and R6 were developed together. I get the impression that's now changing. The R6/R8 line will share a similar button layout and going forwards, the R5ii and R1 are being developed together. Hence a new common button layout between the R5ii and R1, but probably quite different to the current R5. The R3 and R7 being the obscure cams. Maybe they will align in the future?

In Canon land, when we talk about buttons, we usually mean dials....even the R8 has enough customisable buttons to satisfy any photographer. It's the number (and featureset) of the dials that gets every one's attention. The two features of the R6ii that I prefer over the R8 is the EVF size and resolution and the AF joystick. Pushing the centre of the AF joystick re-centres the AF point...that's SO useful!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0