Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specification make the rounds

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
I'm very happy at 45MP. 62MP might be a little much for me, but not for others I'm sure. I'd like it if the second choice could be in the 40ish MP range, 31MP is great, but lower than I would like if I could choose. Though a stacked sensor might change that?

If they make a better performing battery in the same form factor and I can use it in my R5 C, I'll be stoked (y)

But a R5 C2 or R1 might still be in my future anyway.

Thanks for the post Craig @Canon Rumors Guy Appreciate it!!

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Even if half of this stuff does not wind up being included in the R5ii, I am really looking forward to it!

I would really appreciate a stacked sensor, whether it’s 45MP or 62MP.

I hope to see the power switch moved to the right like the R6ii. Honestly beyond that I would prefer button layout to be the same!

I would love to see AF improvements in the form of tracking speed, stickiness, and increased subjects recognized like insects and more varieties of mammals and reptiles and birds.

Dual CF Express would be nice, but is this realistic if the R3 didn’t get it? What about heat?

As someone who has blue eyes, I can’t use eye controlled AF in the R3, and expect this to be the same in the R5ii. This seems like an odd design oversight. If it helps the camera sell better (and at a lower price per unit), so be it! But I personally would rather not pay for it (or 8k video for that matter).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Even if half of this stuff does not wind up being included in the R5ii, I am really looking forward to it!

I would really appreciate a stacked sensor, whether it’s 45MP or 62MP.

I hope to see the power switch moved to the right like the R6ii. Honestly beyond that I would prefer button layout to be the same!

I would love to see AF improvements in the form of tracking speed, stickiness, and increased subjects recognized like insects and more varieties of mammals and reptiles and birds.

Dual CF Express would be nice, but is this realistic if the R3 didn’t get it? What about heat?

As someone who has blue eyes, I can’t use eye controlled AF in the R3, and expect this to be the same in the R5ii. This seems like an odd design oversight. If it helps the camera sell better (and at a lower price per unit), so be it! But I personally would rather not pay for it (or 8k video for that matter).
Do you know that blue eyes affects it? I haven't had a tremendous amount of luck with it going all the way to the EOS 3, although the R 3 is definitely better.

Upvote 0
"New battery, but same form as the LP-E6"

Battery won't change, they may just improve the duration and/or the peak power, but the "family" will still be the LP-E6, so you can use all your current batteries on the new body. I still use, with much success, a pair of old "original" LP-E6 I bought in 2010 along with the 5DII, and they still works perfectly today, they give me around 2500 shots per charge each on my R6 (so over 4000 shots with the BG, I can basically shoot 3 weddings in a row on a single charge of the two batteries in the BG).
While this is true, there are some features like high framerate shooting that benefit from using newer versions of the batteries. If the r5mark2 needs a battery with higher peak power and or capacity, using an older one might limit the user to low fps, which would suck for wildlife shooters for example.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
While this is true, there are some features like high framerate shooting that benefit from using newer versions of the batteries. If the r5mark2 needs a battery with higher peak power and or capacity, using an older one might limit the user to low fps, which would suck for wildlife shooters for example.
Currently, fps in ES on the R5 does not depend on the state of charge of the LP6-ENH or using an earlier version.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The specs look great so far, but upgrading from my R5 will depend on:
- If the AF is improved to the R3 level for action/sports, more sticky to subject - track better on moving subject, faster focus subject recognition etc..and more subject selection types, like insect, car, airplane etc..
- Change in buttons layout?? R5 layout is very good already, almost perfect with those 3 wheels. Just need more functions to be assigned like with Sony's A1.
- Eye assist focus: Awesome feature if it works properly, I always want to try this.
- 62 MP with multi MP adjustment, very nice move!
- More improved battery: we really need that, I don't need to carry 5-6 extra bateries to cover an event.

I would like to see more software features implementation like with the Nikon Z9: pre-release capture, auto capture etc...

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Do you know that blue eyes affects it? I haven't had a tremendous amount of luck with it going all the way to the EOS 3, although the R 3 is definitely better.
I recall reading a few times that it does not work with light colored eyes. I got it to calibrate after a few tries but it was impossible for me to get it to work reliably with real subjects beyond calibration. I am not sure whether Canon confirmed the issue or whether this was improved through firmware. I never bothered to check. YMMV

Upvote 0
I'm really hoping the eye tracking AF works as advertised. I find myself constantly wishing I had it when looking at birds in thick foliage. I fumble with the touch-and-drag-the-touchscreen interface for a few seconds and just when I get the focus point on the bird, he flies away. Anything that makes that faster and more reliable would be a huge win in my book. Enough to get me to upgrade from the original R5.

Yes, I know I can just use single-point AF and aim better, but then when I want to transition to catching the bird in flight I have to swap back the AF mode to target tracking.... it's a pain, and in practice I just wind up using the touchscreen and missing a bunch of shots.

Upvote 0
Also true; of course some may need the best performance, but the LP-E6NH is relatively new...let's say the supposed new "LP-E6NHX" gives more peak power, I still think that the limitation using the R5II with the previous generation "NH" will be really reduced, like example 40fps with NHX and just 25/30fps with NH, I think most can live with it, if there would be such limitation. But I'm pretty sure there will also be many studio photographers interested in the new R5II, that will use it 99% of times in single frame, so for them keeping the battery form factor compatible with something going on since 2010 is enough to be satisfied.

Of course using the older generation E6N and E6 will widen the performance gap, but still, when buying a 3500/4000€$£ camera I think one, if really in need of those top tier performance, can spare another extra 200/300 bucks for a couple of new gen batteries, at least in this forum :) I see people talking about buying super tele costing 6/8/10k, or a 6/8k new R1, with more ease then I would talk about buying the 250€ RF 16mm, so battery update (giving the same form factor is maintained) should be the last of the concerns among the specs list.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Time will tell, but to be honest this smells more like a wish list than a spec sheet to me.
I tend to agree. Most of us would like to have all those spec's, but the inclusion of the eye control autofocus seems a bit out of character. I use this feature occasionally on my R3 and hope to see how helpful it is this month in RMNP shooting the elk rut. But to be honest, I've not heard a lot of "geez this feature is really great" which makes me wonder if Canon would bother to include a less popular feature in the R5MKII. Of course, I may be wrong.:unsure:

Upvote 0
Yes, I know I can just use single-point AF and aim better, but then when I want to transition to catching the bird in flight I have to swap back the AF mode to target tracking.... it's a pain, and in practice I just wind up using the touchscreen and missing a bunch of shots.

You can configure a single button to do it, so may not be a pain, of course depending on your specific needs, if you couple it with reducing the AF mode available via menu.

Personally I just have two AF mode active, single point and multi/tracking; so having just two active, and mapping a button for it (talking about R6; other cameras, say RP, doesn't allow you to map that specific function to a single button, so on RP I do it with button + wheel, which is still decently fast), with a single press I toggle instantly between the two. I mapped the M-Fn button for that, which is exactly next to the shutter button, so AF mode switch from single to multi/track requires just a fraction of a second.
Play with button mapping and AF mode reduction, and see if you can tune something that works for you.

Upvote 0
Eye Control AF?
Total fail for me in the EOS3 and I have no doubt will be equally gimmicky and useless (for me!) in any camera body likely to appear in my lifetime. Terrible idea to put it into an R5II! It just doesn't work for too many people.
Also don't be messing with button layout unless there is a darned compelling reason.
Nothing in this rumour to see me upgrading from my pair of R5 bodies. :(
Guess I'll start waiting for a MkIII. (LOL!)
Eye control works great for me. It seems like something that is very eye dependent. A stacked sensor would be a great upgrade to the current R5, and maybe Quad-Pixel AF??? If that would happen I'd gladly exchange my R3 for one of these.

Upvote 0