Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The reason for the 30 minute limit is that exceeding 30 minutes subjects the camera to a worldwide, WTO-mandated added 5.4% tax. However, this tax has been progressively dropping, and soon will have no impact on price.
It disappeared from the EU/UK a couple of years ago.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The reason for the 30 minute limit is that exceeding 30 minutes subjects the camera to a worldwide, WTO-mandated added 5.4% tax. However, this tax has been progressively dropping, and soon will have no impact on price.
The R6II, R8 and likely other recent bodies don’t have the 30 minute limitation, so I expect the R5II to lack it as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
The Nikon Z8 and Z9 have no mechanical shutter. There is a special curtain that protects the sensor when the lens is removed. Having no mechanical shutter is great because it's one more moving part removed and cannot break.
Nikon's protecting curtains do break as well.
ask Matt Granger.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If the sensor is BSI only without mechanical shutter, it is meaningless to release mark ii.
The sensor must be stacked sensor or global shutter but I guess 0.01% to use global shutter.
May be Red sell their 8K global sensor to Canon? haha.

sensor speed should be faster than Z8 if Canon doesn't want to loss their face!
I remember R6II would use the same 24MP stacked sensor for R3 in the past rumor according to canonrumors.com's post. But R6II is using a 24MP FSI sensor in fact.

I am sure Canon must prepare a new-design sensor for R5II. I am not able to believe R5II has stack sensor without mechanical shutter at this moment.

Hope Canon will release new camera bodies and lens very soon.

Upvote 0
Should be a stacked sensor if they’re eliminating the mechanical shutter. This will also allow full 14 bit in e-shutter of course.

Guessing they’ll reduce/eliminate over heating issues that impacted the R5.

Definitely going to lift the 30 minute internal record limit as they’ve done on all releases since the R5/R6 came out.

Add some of the ergonomic benefits (like adding the stills/movie switch). Rendering the R5C all but obsolete (any need for a II version anymore?)

Auto subject detect and other AF improvements.

Just a few things I’d expect off the top of my head. Too rich for my blood and way outside my use case. R6II is still perfect for me. Probably under utilized.
If R5II will be allowed full 14bit e-shutter with 60fps, the CMOS will be able to capture 8K120P 12bit RAW video.

Maybe we can guess R5C Mark II's video spec.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
So nothing vastly different from the original R5 then, except possibly a faster readout speed since they're going all electronic shutter. More reason to take advantage of the reduced price on the original R5, which is still a fantastic camera by today's standards.
I've been holding out on buying a second R5 since shortly after I bought my R5. The best thing about R5II might be cheaper R5Mk1's.

At this moment, I care much more about the 24-105/2.8 release than another body :) This will be a dream lens for me, though I'm excited about the 200-800, too.

Upvote 0
Canon was always taking very small steps since 2008 I started with my photo/video business. Since R5 and C70 which imo were pretty significant steps in the right direction and also with innovation in mind... I think that now the recipe works for them we will continue with small improvements for the next series. I hope and wish to be false on this! We hear for so many years about DPAF, global shutter, stacked sensor, 60-80mpx and I\'m afraid nothing from all of this will come to R5 mark ii or R1.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
WOW!
Already 4 pages and 69 posts.
A lot of complaints - as usual.
A lot of arguments, pro and con - as usual.
Even DR got mentions.

But it needs this 70th post here to say:
With this spec Canon is doomed - for sure :p
I think that the subscription rumor got much more aggravation here :ROFLMAO:
I will keep my ideas private until the announcement... if any!
In any case, Canon knows how to make me happy... announce the RF 35mm f/1.2L! :love:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If this is a stacked sensor version of the R5 then it will be the first time in quite a while that I have been excited about something from Canon. The original R5 is a good camera that is still buggy, and I only bought it to use with my only big prime, the 500 f/4. I will wait to see if it doesn't crash as often as the R5 (even after all the firmware updates) since this could be just a better Z8. If the price is similar to the Z8 then Sony is going to be left out of the high(ish) MPixel stacked sensor at a reasonable price zone.

Upvote 0
I've been holding out on buying a second R5 since shortly after I bought my R5. The best thing about R5II might be cheaper R5Mk1's.

At this moment, I care much more about the 24-105/2.8 release than another body :) This will be a dream lens for me, though I'm excited about the 200-800, too.
I was interested in the 200-800 also. I already have the 100-500, which is just fantastic. Christopher Frost just put out a video on the 200-800 and I was a little disappointed with his results/tests. Seems it's pretty soft, especially at 800mm. But for the price still very decent.

Upvote 0
You are not going to get much more DR if any at all - the R5 is up there with the R3 and way better than the Z8/Z9

Yeah, with the R3, R5, R6II/R8 Canon has basically closed the DR gap. All of those sensors are basically within a 3rd of a stop of each other, and way better than any of Nikon's FX DSLR line AND their Z line, and basically neck and neck if not better than anything coming out of Sony. The days of bashing Canon because their DR sucks relative to their competitors has largely been history for a while now, at least for their major pro products. I'm sure you can still find specific instances here and there, but if you're buying any camera with a sensor that has been designed and released since the R5, the DR is excellent.

Upvote 0
That's a pretty bold move to take out the mechanical shutter while sticking with a BSI sensor.

The only problem with this picture is that the current R5 is still holding its own very well, 4 years after launch.

1. Obviously BSI wouldn't be good enough for ES only. It would have to be stacked with very high readout to go all ES like the Nikon Z9 and Z8. I don't think Canon is going to sabotage one of their historically best selling (and profitable) models. It would be a huge cost savings for Canon both from a production and warranty perspective so it is believable to me. Canon may be behind Sony on GS but I don't think it's behind Nikon on anything.

2. If sales of the R5 in Japan are any indication, it has lost its shine. (It's still a great camera, but it's contribution to Canon's bottom line is in decline). It didn't even make Yodoashi's Top 10 best sellers for 2023. And now with it nicely discounted off original MSRP it's still can't claw back into the Top 10 best monthly sellers list. A new R5 is due.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Ok, what the rumor was missing was added after I posted this..."(We believe it'll be a stacked design)." A stacked sensor would represent a significant upgrade.

As I've said before, I don't believe updates are primarily aimed at owners of the immediate prior model, but rather at owners 2-3 cycles back or down the lineup. So, an R5II would be primarily targeted at 5DIII/IV users, 6DII users, and R6 users. No doubt there will be some R5 owners who upgrade, but I doubt Canon is counting on those sales. Always good to keep that in mind when the YouTube crowd complains about few/marginal improvements (and also why cameras generally go on to sell quite well after being internet-bashed for it).
updates are primarily aimed at owners of the immediate prior model, but rather at owners 2-3 cycles back - does not apply to me.

Upvote 0