Canon EOS R5 Mark II Specifications

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] Incidentally, I suspect it’s about more than just lens changes. The camera spends a lot more time powered off than it does powered on, so there is a lot more time for dust to settle in the interior when the power is off. If the sensor is covered during that time, the dust will settle on the shutter and not the sensor.
That fits with my observation that the number of new spots on my RP sensor greatly decreased after leaving the filter adapter on there for multiple weeks.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The R5 in the netherlands is priced today at 3749 euro's at the moment compared to 2729 euro's for the R6 mark II. How far do you think will the price drop for the R5 after the launch of the MK2? will it be at the level of the R6 mark II?
It was €2999 for a few months due to the €650 cashback during the winter promotion. If you had price alerts configured you could get if for even less during that time. I had sold my R5 a few weeks before the cashboard started and I could've bought a brand new one for less than I received for my used one!

Below is the pricegraph from the tweakers.net pricewatch, you can see the R5 gradually getting cheaper. But for the first 3 years the price didn't really drop.

Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-06 om 14.59.47.png

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2024
I know we’ve had this debate already, but now I’m convinced that the shutter helps keep dust off the sensor. I mentioned before that my R8 accumulates dust quite readily, where is my R3 does not. Well…did not. I recently noticed some spots in stopped-down shots that I had to clean up in post.

So what changed? I have been shooting primarily musical events lately, and have left the camera in silent mode for the past couple of months. I typically don’t look into the camera when changing lenses (I keep the mount opening pointed down), but the other day I happened to do so, and noticed that the bare sensor was staring back at me despite powering the camera off to change lenses as I typically do. I went into the settings to confirm that I had not somehow changed it to not close the shutter with the power off, and the setting was grayed out – apparently, that option is not available when the camera is in silent mode.

Same ultrasonic cleaning happening, only difference is the shutter wasn’t closing with the power off. So, I’ll clean the sensor…and stop leaving the camera in silent mode.

Incidentally, I suspect it’s about more than just lens changes. The camera spends a lot more time powered off than it does powered on, so there is a lot more time for dust to settle in the interior when the power is off. If the sensor is covered during that time, the dust will settle on the shutter and not the sensor.
This caught me by surprise too. Silent shutter means it won't close the shutter when turning it off... I wish there was a way to override it to ALWAYS close the shutter when turning it off, no matter what. But that would probably make too much sense for Canon to consider...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm assuming the upgrade here is the sensor readout speed, improved AI AF (I'm guessing that it's be a better Auto detect system). and an improved flippy screen and hopefully an improved EVF. If i already had a R5, I'm not sure there is enough to warrant a side grade. However for people like me who never bought a R5...it's looking like a very attractive camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
So nothing vastly different from the original R5 then, except possibly a faster readout speed since they're going all electronic shutter. More reason to take advantage of the reduced price on the original R5, which is still a fantastic camera by today's standards.
I've got 2 of them, if you invest in expensive glass, the pictures speak for themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Should be a stacked sensor if they’re eliminating the mechanical shutter. This will also allow full 14 bit in e-shutter of course.

Guessing they’ll reduce/eliminate over heating issues that impacted the R5.

Definitely going to lift the 30 minute internal record limit as they’ve done on all releases since the R5/R6 came out.

Add some of the ergonomic benefits (like adding the stills/movie switch). Rendering the R5C all but obsolete (any need for a II version anymore?)

Auto subject detect and other AF improvements.

Just a few things I’d expect off the top of my head. Too rich for my blood and way outside my use case. R6II is still perfect for me. Probably under utilized.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
This caught me by surprise too. Silent shutter means it won't close the shutter when turning it off... I wish there was a way to override it to ALWAYS close the shutter when turning it off, no matter what. But that would probably make too much sense for Canon to consider...
There is. Don’t use Silent Shutter mode (which disables everything that makes a noise). Instead, shoot in electronic shutter and turn all electronic sounds off (focus confirmation beeps, etc). Then the mechanical shutter will still close at shut down and no sounds will be made while shooting.

Save it to C1, C2, or C3 if the menu dive is a pain.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Canon having the confidence to remove the mechanical shutter would be a great sign the electronic shutter made solid progress, offering R3 or better perf level. Sounds great to me.

45MP BSI stacked, fast sensor is welcome. Good for image quality, fps, and focus stability.

Of course AI will improve a lot, at the speed it is evolving nowadays. Good for focus.

Now I'd also like evf improvements (bigger and black out free), pre-capture, and CFe 4 compatibility. Those will matter to my photo.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for this but no mechanical shutter is a big pass for me... not a good idea for dust and having a lens focusing light to the sensor itself even if it's off...
Well, make sure to preserve the camera you have now, then, because this is what we're going to.

I wouldn't expect any high end Canon mirrorless body to have a mechanical shutter in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I was waiting for this but no mechanical shutter is a big pass for me... not a good idea for dust and having a lens focusing light to the sensor itself even if it's off...
Well, there STILL might be a sensor cover internally.
I think I've heard of other mirrorless cameras, sans shutter, that still had a sensor cover that would pop over the sensor when you turned the camera off, etc.
It looks like a shutter basically, but it doesnt' perform as one (not fast, etc).

So, no shutter doesn't preclude having a mechanical sensor cover internal to the camera.

Just my $0.02,
cayenne

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Incidentally, I suspect it’s about more than just lens changes. The camera spends a lot more time powered off than it does powered on, so there is a lot more time for dust to settle in the interior when the power is off. If the sensor is covered during that time, the dust will settle on the shutter and not the sensor.
Interesting, especially this last paragraph. Makes sense; I’ll reconsider my view of the usefulness of having the shutter close when changing lenses, but more specifically the shutter closing when the camera is switched off.

Upvote 0
I hope there is an anti-dust curtain at least. It can be a cheap addition as it doesn't have to be fast and sophisticated. Nikon has such a curtain in top end cameras (called a sensor shield)

Fast electronic shutter is almost as good as a global shutter. No rolling shutter effect, no issues with shutter shock, no broken bokeh in EFSC mode.

In terms of the light being focused on the sensor while the camera is off - a shutter or curtain won't help if the lens really focuses the sunlight on the sensor. It'll burn through the curtain and will damage the sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0