Canon EOS R5 pricing in Europe may have leaked [CR2]

Nov 2, 2016
Still boggles my mind why they don't just include tax in US prices.

Who wants to be doing calculations in their head constantly when they're shopping.
Because every state has different amounts of taxes, and some (the ones near bankruptcy) have none.in many places it’s illegal to include the tax as part of the price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Still boggles my mind why they don't just include tax in US prices.

Who wants to be doing calculations in their head constantly when they're shopping.

State and local sales tax varies from ZERO to over 10%. Based on where we folks love we can adjust for our selves without being boggled. Moreover, until very recently last year the biggest internet retailers charged collected mo sales tax from their out of state customers.
From what tax nirvana are you coaching us?

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Because every state has different amounts of taxes, and some (the ones near bankruptcy) have none.in many places it’s illegal to include the tax as part of the price.
Are you hallucinating that Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon are near bankruptcy?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Everyone was so stoked that the price of the R5 was "under $4,000 US" !!!
Finally, a new thread with more info on the price of the R5 !!! :D
I can't wait to see what the new price is !!!

oh wait, ...
... the 'new' price is ... "under $4,000 US" ? :rolleyes:

Oh man, it's going to take a lot of :coffee: before we get to July! :sleep:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
In Australia it's illegal not to have the actual price customer will pay at the checkout, GST and any other fees and charges have to be inlcuded in the advertised price. Luckily we only have a single Federal tax called the GST, states do not levy sales taxes.
Well to be picky, the Australian states levy stamp (transfer) duty into certain purchases where land is involved and is clearly separate from the purchase price.
You will see breakdowns in NSW for fire service levy and emergency service levies on insurance premiums.
Excise and importation duties are other buried taxes. We even have tax (GST) on tax (Excise and importation duty) for fuel. Buried fuel taxes represent about 35% of the retail price
State payroll taxes are buried under SG&A costs.
From recent AFR article: "A challenge for the states is that they are responsible for nearly half of Australian general government operating expenditure, but their limited taxation capacity means they collect only about 25 per cent of total revenues.
The so-called vertical fiscal imbalance forces the Commonwealth to pay the states GST and other grants."
Other non-government changes include freight and "handling fees" for tickets amongst other things.

Upvote 0
Other non-government changes include freight and "handling fees" for tickets amongst other things.
But that's important for merchants/resellers. Buyers/customers pay what's on the price tag. The exception is the credit card surcharge (which I rarely encounter) but that's not the tax. Also in certain cases you can get GST back from your purchases.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Canon 5D Mark III launch price = 3300 euros
Canon 5D Mark IV launch price = 4100 euros
Canon 5R launch price = 4500€

That's a pretty steep curve imho and not one I enjoy watching.
There’s a thing called inflation and if you’re a working photographer, which most of the target market is, you should be wise enough to make small price increases now and then to keep up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am not planning to tell my wife anything in details. I will tell her that a friend gave me an 5 year old camera that he didnt use at all. Also I will not tell her that I sold my kidney and sill have a dept that I need to pay off in 5 years. I will write it off to Covid19. Fingers crossed that this will work out.
What about selling both and saving the 5 years dept? :cool:

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Well I have my finances in order and I'm ready to pull the trigger. This will now replace my 5DIII and will go with me and my 1DXII. I'm hoping this thing lives up to expectations and the increased MP and better sensor will be awesome. I have a trip planned for September, so an August release will give me time to just start to get familiar with it.

Can't wait.
sek

Upvote 0