Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

Jul 21, 2010
Canon can do and has done plenty that is wrong, but there is an old saying, "get the right tool for the job".

Shooting 3 hours of video with what is primarily a stills FF camera? Not a Canon problem.
Agreed. I don’t shoot long videos, and I’m not sure that my R3 would overheat even if I did. But for video I use a Vixia HF G60 because a camcorder is the right tool for the job (for me, of course).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Canon can do and has done plenty that is wrong, but there is an old saying, "get the right tool for the job".

Shooting 3 hours of video with what is primarily a stills FF camera? Not a Canon problem.

The R3 can do it no problem. The R6 was a failure in that regard. even a 6Dii can do it.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA

You mean the EOS R? That thing can shoot video all day without overheating. Or, the RP? That camera I have has been running for over a year basically never being turned off...
Or, are we talking about the R5 that was all marketing to 8K VIDEO!!! 8K! 8K! Then would overheat and completely shut down after just being turned on for a half hour lol.

Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
Agreed. I don’t shoot long videos, and I’m not sure that my R3 would overheat even if I did. But for video I use a Vixia HF G60 because a camcorder is the right tool for the job (for me, of course).
I think everyone on this forum would love to have the seemingly unlimited budget to own every iteration of canon camera to use for every specific job. In the real world we all have to operate within our budget limitations, and it's really lame to be let down by the leader in camera sales.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
There's no wow factor here. This isn't a stacked sensor device. I hope that I'm wrong. Indications tell me otherwise. The person leaking the specks would know that if it was, and it would be apart of the buzz. Camera manufacturers need to put nails in the coffin of these non stacked sensors and let them die already. Else they are in entry level cameras only. $600 or less

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto

It is a Canon problem because Sony can do it. If you are shopping for primarily stills, then there is no issue. If you are competing in the market with video features, it is a problem.
Maybe that new liquid vapor chamber patent will be used in the mk2

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
I wonder if this means that we will see an R1 announcement before we see an R5 ii announcement, as they will need a new high megapixel BSi sensor for the R1 and the eventual R5 ii. Or maybe we get a 60pm BSi R5 ii while they test the market and hopefully finally bring the Quad Pixel AF to fruition in the R1.
I would assume the R1 would have to be available spring 2024 the latest in order to have them out for the Summer Olympics. Maybe by fall/winter 2023 we would be getting some reliable cr3 specs?
I think it would also be strategic to wait until the last second before the Olympics because Canons competition is due for an A9iii and maybe an A1ii, and if they can time it to release after Sony does, then they can make sure they have features to pull ahead of Sony's latest feature list at release.

If the R6ii ends up using a variation of the R3 stacked sensor, maybe part of the R1 sensor development is a variation for the R5ii?
From my manufacturing background, streamlining manufacturing processes does create a lot of manufacturing savings.
I am not a fortune teller, but I think it would be more strategic to try and get both R6ii and R5ii out next year and maybe keep the camera cycles on a 3-year refresh. The only issue is if they don't have the R1 sensor down packed yet in order to design it for an R5ii.
The R6 and R5 did a great job of bringing Canon to the mirrorless table competitively and with the R3 and R1, I think that technology would be the trickle down to the R6ii and R5ii.
The only other outcome I can see is the R5ii released maybe fall of 2024 in order to try and space out the bodies. But with Sony's A7Rv being released this week, it would mean Canon is releasing their response to that line in 2 years. This is what leads me to believe it would make more sense and be more strategic to try and get the R5ii out next year with the R6ii.
Having a great product is one thing, but business is a very competitive market and the moment you slouch, someone else pulls ahead.
Technology is advancing at exponential rates these days and I think we will be seeing faster refreshes from all the camera manufacturers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Or, are we talking about the R5 that was all marketing to 8K VIDEO!!! 8K! 8K! Then would overheat and completely shut down after just being turned on for a half hour lol.
This is simply not correct.
Especialy after the last firmware the R5 can record pretty much limitless. Just last week we documented a concert with 3 R5 cameras. All set to 4kHQ (Which is pretty much the same es 8k) and run easily for 3 hours straight.

And btw, in "regular" 4k we had never any overheat problems, even before the firmware update.
So the overheat problem is pretty much blown out of proportion.

Its quite interesting: the R5 was extremely hated for the overheating. Now that canon fixed the problem in firmware, there is barely ANY discussion about this.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
YEEEY! FULL FRAME instead of 1.1 Crop in 4K60P!
Who on earth would like to upgrade their R6 for the R6 mark II for just this option and 4 extra megapixels?

I don't get it... Why don't make an affordable R3 or finally launch the R1 with global shutter so we are done with these messed up LED and beamer images that go all over the place.

The price will also be something to laugh about, Canons pricing is usually extremely beyond what one would expect, and not in a cheaper way...

Upvote 0
On the R5, to switch between eye AF and spot AF you can just assign each to its own back buttons. That's what I do, and what I rely on to take almost all of my shots. I find it works just great. Can you do the same on the R6?
You can assign a button to do eye AF when in spot AF temporarely, but switching is not possible. It stays in spot AF mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0