Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, we are at 6 lenses so far this year as well as last year. The numbers on the graph are not correct. The graph might be an old projection from years ago.

2020 we had 17 lenses in the RF Line.
2021 we had 24 lenses (+7)
2022 thus far we are at 30 (+6).
Unfortunately, this does not follow the 8 per year model, but lets hope we can get another lens or two in the next month maybe.
I hope the 35mm is next.
If they can release the missing L primes next year, they will really start to crush the market.

Edit: I also noticed a pattern that releases are 2 lenses at a time. Also not sure they are counting the 2 extenders that are not in my calculation.
The numbers on the graph are correct. It's rather silly to suggest that Canon is somehow unable to keep track of their own lens release dates or count them correctly. Sure, mistakes happen but this is a pretty simple thing to check. I suspect you're basing your count on someone's published list, e.g. this one.

To see Canon's counting, I suggest going to the source – the Canon Camera Museum:

The downside to that is they don't update it all that frequently, so the most recent RF lenses listed are the trio released in July 2021 (400/2.8, 600/4 and 100/2.8 Macro). One big upside is that they have block diagrams for all the lenses, which is sort of neat for us nerds. Note also that the date they use is the 'marketed date' not the announcement date. That's the source of the discrepancy with your count (or if you prefer, the miscount by your unofficial source).

In 2020, by Canon's count there were 18 lenses (based on the Museum page linked above). That includes the 1.4x and 2x extenders, but not the 70-200/4L IS since that was announced in Dec 2020 but the release date was pushed back to April 2021. Thus, there were 8 new lenses in 2021, not 7, bringing the total to 26.

On the upside for us, that means if Canon sticks to their previous statement we can expect to see two more lenses this year. Time will tell.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Monte

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 7, 2013
ALBERTA, CANADA
Just an outside of the box thought, what if “ Digital Tele-converter” is a new innovation where the sensor carriage can be moved back from the lens mount within the body for a full sensor “crop”. The sensor being slightly farther from the back of the lens would be capturing a smaller area of the projected image coming from the lens, a cropped image yet using the whole sensor. Not sure how much of a step back the sensor would have to make, 4 or 5mm?
Just a guess.

• Haha
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Just an outside of the box thought, what if “ Digital Tele-converter” is a new innovation where the sensor carriage can be moved back from the lens mount within the body for a full sensor “crop”. The sensor being slightly farther from the back of the lens would be capturing a smaller area of the projected image coming from the lens, a cropped image yet using the whole sensor. Not sure how much of a step back the sensor would have to make, 4 or 5mm?
Just a guess.
That would be a mechanical teleconverter rather than digital and work just like extension tubes. How much gets affected per mm of movement depends on the focal length of the lens attached and this would increase the weight, size, cost, and complexity of the camera body; great out of the box (or is that in the box? =D ) thought, just not very likely to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Again, why do you think the R6 Mark II will be out before the R1? I find that highly doubtful for the reasons I've already stated.
I am confused by your assertion of what I have said and what you are doubtful of.

I am of the position that IF the R6 II comes out before the R1 it is likely not to have a stacked sensor.

That said, given that this is CR3 rumor on R6 II and we haven't heard much of R1 aside from some wild wish lists, there is more of a chance of a R6 II coming out before the R1 gets introduced.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Having moved from the 7d2 to the r6, I initially thought I would miss the top screen as well but tbh, with the amount of info available in the viewfinder I never feel the need for the top screen anymore.
Depends on your workflow. For me, it’s really useful to check/change settings before putting the camera to my eye. Sometimes that split of a second makes the shot.

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
I came from the 5D mkiii. I absolutely love the pasm dial instead of the LCD screen. Don’t miss it at all. Actually my previous 3 Canon cameras had it. That was probably the only hesitation instead of the r5. I don’t need 45 mp and now that I know the r6 is so programmable I’m so glad I bought it.
I hate the rotating mode switch, it’s so oldschool. The modes on the R/R5 are much more useful. The Fv mode is actually the only mode you need (canon just needs to work on customizing it a bit more). And it’s so convenient to be able to switch between C1-C3 with the switch next to the shutter button.
Canon should really fine tune that, provide us with more custom modes that I can name (e.g. Tripod, Portrait, …)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 22, 2012
Depends on your workflow. For me, it’s really useful to check/change settings before putting the camera to my eye. Sometimes that split of a second makes the shot.
It's funny I've a number of cameras with top screens but I never pay any attention to them. You are right, it is a useful way of checking setting before putting the camera to the eye. It's definitely more distinctive on the R5 as its illuminated. The older LCD screen the numbers didn't seem to jump out at me. I've always used whats in the viewfinder or backscreen. Something for me to consider paying more attention to in the future.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Oh. I totally get that as I primarily focus on wildlife photography where speed is of the utmost importance. Moreso than any other niche I would guess. Which means my eye rarely leaves the viewfinder as I can't afford that delay when changing settings.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
I hate the rotating mode switch, it’s so oldschool. The modes on the R/R5 are much more useful. The Fv mode is actually the only mode you need (canon just needs to work on customizing it a bit more). And it’s so convenient to be able to switch between C1-C3 with the switch next to the shutter button.
Canon should really fine tune that, provide us with more custom modes that I can name (e.g. Tripod, Portrait, …)
You can switch C1-C3 and Fv, ie four choices, on customizing the M-fn button to choose mode.I leave C1-C3 not being updateable.

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
The numbers on the graph are correct. It's rather silly to suggest that Canon is somehow unable to keep track of their own lens release dates or count them correctly. Sure, mistakes happen but this is a pretty simple thing to check. I suspect you're basing your count on someone's published list, e.g. this one.

To see Canon's counting, I suggest going to the source – the Canon Camera Museum:

The downside to that is they don't update it all that frequently, so the most recent RF lenses listed are the trio released in July 2021 (400/2.8, 600/4 and 100/2.8 Macro). One big upside is that they have block diagrams for all the lenses, which is sort of neat for us nerds. Note also that the date they use is the 'marketed date' not the announcement date. That's the source of the discrepancy with your count (or if you prefer, the miscount by your unofficial source).

In 2020, by Canon's count there were 18 lenses (based on the Museum page linked above). That includes the 1.4x and 2x extenders, but not the 70-200/4L IS since that was announced in Dec 2020 but the release date was pushed back to April 2021. Thus, there were 8 new lenses in 2021, not 7, bringing the total to 26.

On the upside for us, that means if Canon sticks to their previous statement we can expect to see two more lenses this year. Time will tell.

Actually, you assumed wrong.
I used the list of lenses from Canons website and looked up all of their announce dates. Wikipedia actually has a nice, detailed listing there.
Why would I use the site you suggested that is not updated frequently? They still don't have the latest lenses, but sure, you can rely on it..
The 70-200 f4 was announced November 2020 (originally available December 2020) beside the 50 1.8 stm. Just because they delayed shipping them out, still gives it a 2020 announce date.
Unless they knew their projections for 2021 and wanted to add another lens to the yearly line up and delayed it on purpose....

By their release dates there were 19 lenses (including the teleconverters) available by the end of 2020
7 more were released in 2021, so far 6 were released this year.
Hopefully there is another 2 lens announcement in the next month (I hope it's the 35mm).

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The 24.1mp BSI sensor already exists (it's the best sensor that Canon has ever made by many metrics), and it's cheaper to use something that you're already producing instead of retooling for something new or continuing to produce something 'old' in the case of the 20.2mp sensor.
Its old and outdated. The stacked CMOS is the defacto standard. Actuall sracked sensor devices are cheaper to manufacture and with new nm technology are more efficient.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Old BSI CMOS sensor with some added copy and paste firmware. Waiting for Canon to roll out the rest of their stacked sensors as they've announced. Not purchasing any more high end digital cameras with these old recycled junk sensors. Saving my hard earned moola for up to date hardware. The defacto standard is the stacked sensor. Sure, there are uninformed consumers that will fall for mere firmware upgrades that any firmware engineer can copy and paste.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Old BSI CMOS sensor with some added copy and paste firmware. Waiting for Canon to roll out the rest of their stacked sensors as they've announced. Not purchasing any more high end digital cameras with these old recycled junk sensors. Saving my hard earned moola for up to date hardware. The defacto standard is the stacked sensor. Sure, there are uninformed consumers that will fall for mere firmware upgrades that any firmware engineer can copy and paste. Non stacked sensor devices should be priced sub $500. Due to "inflation", there's no indication this will be the case any time soon.

Upvote 0
Old BSI CMOS sensor with some added copy and paste firmware. Waiting for Canon to roll out the rest of their stacked sensors as they've announced. Not purchasing any more high end digital cameras with these old recycled junk sensors. Saving my hard earned moola for up to date hardware. The defacto standard is the stacked sensor. Sure, there are uninformed consumers that will fall for mere firmware upgrades that any firmware engineer can copy and paste.
"Junk", really? The old sensors produce fine images. Will the newer design be noticeably better in most situations? I'm doubtful.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Why would I use the site you suggested that is not updated frequently? They still don't have the latest lenses, but sure, you can rely on it..
The 70-200 f4 was announced November 2020 (originally available December 2020) beside the 50 1.8 stm. Just because they delayed shipping them out, still gives it a 2020 announce date.
Unless they knew their projections for 2021 and wanted to add another lens to the yearly line up and delayed it on purpose....

By their release dates there were 19 lenses (including the teleconverters) available by the end of 2020
7 more were released in 2021, so far 6 were released this year.
Hopefully there is another 2 lens announcement in the next month (I hope it's the 35mm).
The site I linked is maintained by Canon Japan, the same folks who made the graphic we're discussing. You are free to disagree with the manufacturer's count of their own lenses, of course...but your disagreement doesn't make their count wrong.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Also, note that Canon officially delayed the release date for the RF 70-200/4 from Dec 2020 to Mar 2021.

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
Also, note that Canon officially delayed the release date for the RF 70-200/4 from Dec 2020 to Mar 2021.

FYI the RF Roadmap shows it as announced November 4th 2020.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
FYI the RF Roadmap shows it as announced November 4th 2020.
That’s fine but irrelevant. Do you think that Canon HQ should rely on the Canon Rumors RF Lens Roadmap to count their lens releases?

Personally, I think lenses should be counted when they start shipping, not when Canon announces them. Canon does, too. Consider the EF 600/4 II – it had a development announcement in Aug 2010, a formal announcement in Feb 2011, but was not actually marketed until mid-2012. You might call it a 2010 or 2011 lens, but Canon calls it a 2012 lens (I preordered mine from B&H and received it in Oct 2012).

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That’s fine but irrelevant. Do you think that Canon HQ should rely on the Canon Rumors RF Lens Roadmap to count their lens releases?

Personally, I think lenses should be counted when they start shipping, not when Canon announces them. Canon does, too. Consider the EF 600/4 II – it had a development announcement in Aug 2010, a formal announcement in Feb 2011, but was not actually marketed until mid-2012. You might call it a 2010 or 2011 lens, but Canon calls it a 2012 lens (I preordered mine from B&H and received it in Oct 2012).
Which implies that we could have those 2 unreleased and unanounced lenses physically in hand around x-mas!

• Haha
Upvote 0