Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
All the hatred cracks me up....I took one look at the size and weight and started to wonder if it could replace the M as my "small kit" camera.
And I am very seriously thinking of dumping my Olympus... Micro 4/3 and weighs 465gr with the battery. Goodbye Oly! Homerun Canon! Another nail in the coffin of M43.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm on the fence of jumping on the bandwagon, FF and MILC. I prefer APS-C platform over FF, particularly the frame rate for live events (a hobbyist), but tired of waiting for a revised 7D (assuming it to be 7D Mark III). The EOS R has the crop feature but the MP is too low

I've been handicapped w/ a EOS-M camera for two years now. W/ EOS R and RP news, it appears that there's no hope for high-end APS-C in DSLR or MILC.

I don't like to drastically change, so I'll stick w/ Canon. I need a better camera for sure!!!!
I could be wrong, but EOS R doesn't have a crop feature for stills unless one mounts an EFs lens. It has cropped 4K video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
One observation for everyone moaning about IBIS or jumping every time IS is mentioned with relation to Canon's camera body. This is unicorn.

Even if Canon adds IBIS to their next body, it will be just marketing gimmick. They already stated how much they trust their possible first version of IBIS by their roadmap of RF lenses with build in IS. If they had good working IBIS ready for PRO body, they would not need to do something like 15-35 IS or 35 IS maybe even 24-70 IS.

If Canon launches IBIS it will be in my opinion far behind competition in its first version and people will be moaning again.
Then why do Sony's G Master lenses have IS (OSS)? Even the Zeiss for Sony have it. Yes, even short focal lengths. Lens IS and IBIS work together.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot of new members saying the exact same thing? Surely this is a troll or trolls/bots? Humans would at least have the ability to read through the thread and come up with something even a little bit original. I think the mods should be looking at this.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I started into the thread but have baled after one page because it's the same old whining of those who should forget about Canon and shoot with the best that is on the other side of the fence. Get a life, go out and do some photography or join the Sony forum and have a love-in.

Jack
They are like 90 year olds with a 21 year old trophy wife. Looks good by their side, but they aren't "up" to the job. The "gear" knows it, but the 90 year old blames the gear. Pathetic.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Ahhhh cmon Canon, really?? 6D mark II, do we really need another bad full frame camera. Well there's nothing left here to do then switch to Sony... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
The alternative would be (according to Frank Zappa): shut up and take yer images. Don't forget: the coolest gear of today is already the obsolete scrap of tomorrow. That's the Karma of the digital age.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I use a 5DIV, which I think will be my last DSLR. I think that Canon is moving in the right direction with the RP. I do like the smaller body, even if it is plastic, it is still a FF camera and if they have tweeked the sensor a little to get better dynamic range, that will have my attention. It will probably make a great travel camera. Since it is small, I do hope that they will make a battery grip for it, but I have not seen any indication of that. With this camera, the original R and a forthcoming pro mirrorless R-body and all the new R-Lenses, I think that Canon will have all the bases covered for a couple of years.

I think you've hit a very interesting point, The Rp a foundation for a great travel kit. But there aren't any travel lenses available fro it yet...only large and fast pro lenses. The Rf format lends itself to a a range of super small and light pancake primes or some super small wide zooms. But Canon seem to be blowing their R lens budget on the big ticket pro orientated L lenses. I wonder if Canon have thought about a super small and light 15-35mm f4, a 35-80mm and a 80-300. All designed to be small and light. Then a range of pancake lenses in the f2 arena, 15mm, 21mm (very range finder), 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and a 70mm. Maybe even a 135mm f2.8

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Don't know what the R stands for, but the "P" stands for "Profit Center".
Nah, "Profit Center" would be "PC", what also mean "Politically Correct", and that again would apply more to Sony alike art filters that only allow Eye AF on smiling faces :devilish: Seriously, I think Canon tries to refer to their history of rangefinders, more exactly, to the Canon P (= Populaire) from the 1950s. Btw one of the most beautiful cameras ever made, an icon of clean Bauhaus like industrial design. Leica then still decorated there M3 with baroque frames around its rangefinder windows.

Attachments

• serveimage.jpg
    serveimage.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nah, "Profit Center" would be "PC", what also mean "Politically Correct", and that again would apply more to Sony alike art filters that only allow Eye AF on smiling faces :devilish: Seriously, I think Canon tries to refer to their history of rangefinders, more exactly, to the Canon P (= Populaire) from the 1950s. Btw one of the most beautiful cameras ever made, an icon of clean Bauhaus like industrial design. Leica then still decorated there M3 with baroque frames around its rangefinder windows.
I think you are exactly right! Thanks for the education. :)

Upvote 0
Would be interested to find out if it allows selection of focus points on the LCD screen with your finger while looking through the view finder like the r
I'm sure Canon have designed a number of deliberate and irritating limitations that the budget model has are resolved by buying the better and more expensive model. Marketing 101...it's a product range. I'm also suspecting that the EVF in the Rp probably isn't the same fantastic unit found in the Eos R. In fact I'm surprised Canon have included an EVF in this base model. I would have thought that a small and light no EVF model was the obvious choice with an optional after market EVF unit popped on the hot shoe. Then we are getting into true digital range finder territory. Maybe a range of optical range finder modules to keep the art / trads really happy.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

It's a sin which cannot be pardonned to criticize the Leica M 3, best Leica ever!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Then why do Sony's G Master lenses have IS (OSS)? Even the Zeiss for Sony have it. Yes, even short focal lengths. Lens IS and IBIS work together.

G Master? Are you talking about 100-400 or 400? Those are very different focal lengths to those I mentioned. Yes. IBIS and IS is used together in long focal lengths. I found one Zeiss 24-70 with OSS so I would call it exception.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The more I think about it, 4k might not be featured at all in this camera (if it was, it would have a bit 'better' crop factor to the EOS R and Canon is known to segment its models) and I also think the soft 1080p quality will not improve either. I hope I am wrong.

I guess it is mainly a stills camera and it is still decent enough for people who considered a 6D Mark II for video, but now can get it in a much smaller and lighter package, but the EOS R definitely has its advantages like the better battery life and better 1080p with C-Log (as well as 4k, albeit heavily cropped).

Upvote 0
Canon 6D II had a poorer sensor performance compared to my 6D and a poorly value one too compared to the competitions. It came out with MSRP of $2000 and quickly drop to $1300.

There's a bit of rewriting history going on here. The 6D2 improved most aspects of the 6D and was released at a lower price than the earlier model. The sensor is 'worse' in marginal ways that won't impact most images. And incidentally I've just done a quick check of three major retailers (2 US, 1UK) and it's selling for $1499/£1499 - quite a bit above what you stated.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I would think that the 1-series replacement at least will have to be bigger, for ergonomics and battery capacity.

I'm in agreement. I think the 1 series equivalent will be the last out of the gate but def with a different battery. The question is, what will the 5 series type one be like. I wouldn't turn away a larger battery in exchange for speed and responsiveness.

Upvote 0