Canon Inc. releases Q1 2019 financial results

Jul 21, 2010
They only dipped their toe into it.
Sure, and their toe was the #2 best-selling domestic MILC, behind only a 2-gen-old Sony NEX model. That was a pretty big toe. Even today, with two bodies and four lenses available compared to the DLSR lineup, that’s not even a whole foot dipped in. Just sayin’.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
acebook removed the api so that's no longer possible. But back then I often wondered why it wasn't possible to do the same on instagram.

The problem is exactly that - those companies have APIs they can change at will (and often anybody seen as a competitor is cut out without notice), and to use them you have usually to abide to their business model, and you know, what is Facebook business model, don't you?

It would become complex for Canon (or anybody) else to keep cameras updated with Facebook (or anybody else) whims. I would also not be a good promotion if three years old cameras start to lose such functionalities just because their software is no longer updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

espressino

sigh.
Feb 26, 2018
The problem is exactly that - those companies have APIs they can change at will (and often anybody seen as a competitor is cut out without notice), and to use them you have usually to abide to their business model, and you know, what is Facebook business model, don't you?

It would become complex for Canon (or anybody) else to keep cameras updated with Facebook (or anybody else) whims. I would also not be a good promotion if three years old cameras start to lose such functionalities just because their software is no longer updated.
Of course! You're absolutely right about that. And I'm actually glad Canon then removed the facebook icon from the menu. And whether it is a good idea to have always-connected cameras is another matter. I just wanted to point out that this functionality used to exist because people on this forum keep saying that camera makers couldn't provide sufficient social media connectivity because cameras have no sim card etc. etc.
By the same token it makes no sense not to provide intra-Canon connectability: why can't the Zoemini connect to an EOS M50 but needs exactly one of those devices from one of those phone makers who might drop their support for a compatible camera app anytime in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just shows to me this company failed to listen to the market. The higher ups who make Canon camera decisions are clueless. Did they not see the shift to Sony and Fuji for the mirrorless? This reminds me of the executives at Kodak? They fail to understand what digital cameras would do. I hope Canon fired those higher up because it was them who create this large income loss. Canon simply needed to come out with a professional mirrorless camera that is full frame, shoots well in low light, can shoot a high number of RAW images in the silent mode, can shoot non compressed 4K with video, has two card slots and could use existing Canon glass. We are in year 2019 and they still have failed to manufacture a camera like that. A few years ago at the NAMM show I asked Canon when will them come out with a profession mirrorless camera. I recieved no answer. The sales reps at these shows are just clueless too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Just shows to me this company failed to listen to the market. The higher ups who make Canon camera decisions are clueless. Did they not see the shift to Sony and Fuji for the mirrorless? This reminds me of the executives at Kodak? They fail to understand what digital cameras would do. I hope Canon fired those higher up because it was them who create this large income loss. Canon simply needed to come out with a professional mirrorless camera that is full frame, shoots well in low light, can shoot a high number of RAW images in the silent mode, can shoot non compressed 4K with video, has two card slots and could use existing Canon glass. We are in year 2019 and they still have failed to manufacture a camera like that. A few years ago at the NAMM show I asked Canon when will them come out with a profession mirrorless camera. I recieved no answer. The sales reps at these shows are just clueless too.

Another forum neophyte who demonstrates a lack of knowledge of product development and the camera market in particular. Canon vastly outsells Sony, and even beats them in mirrorless - all the Sony hoo-ha is about a very small market sector in FF mirrorless ILCs.
Have you asked why Sony cannot make a workable touch screen despite all their experience with mobile phones? Or why they are limited to stop-down focussing which some are saying limits the usefulness of their cameras for birds in flight or fast sports? Or a decent GUI? Or a decent after-sales support?
Canon has admitted their products are limited by their sensor technology and have moved to refocus (no pun intended!) on that aspect of their technology - but the reality is that those areas where SOny are advancing are increasingly at the margins of what most people use day-to-day.

What makes you think Canon does not focus will in low light? Canon can shoot non-compressed video in 4k:what makes you think they cannot? And what on earth do you mean by
Canon simply needed to come out with a professional mirrorless camera that...could use existing Canon glass.
Because they can.

Yes, Sony make excellent cameras but posts like yours exaggerate the impact of those differences.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0