Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R7, Canon EOS R10 and two new RF-S lenses

From the TDP review: "Is battery grip available for the Canon EOS R7? Unfortunately, no, and the grip positioning holes are not provided." That certainly suggests your bet on the future release of a grip for the R7 would be unwise. One more piece of evidence that the R7 is not the 'pro-grade' 7-series camera for which some were hoping.
The lack of positioning holes does not mean that a grip can't be attached. There have been grips in the past that didn't rely on positioning holes.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
M10 based on the R10? I think the additional engineering cost would be pretty trivial but I've given up on the M series.

There already was M10, the predecessor of M100 and M200. There likely will not be any significant new development on EOS M. It makes sense that f one is interested in sports shootin one gors to EOS R where the lens selection on tele lenses is much larger.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
R7 looks like a really good camera at that price point. Enough so it makes me wonder if I want to try one for more pixel density for field sports over my R6. At this point, it might also be over my dead body, unless I can hide it from my wife. :)

And I'm also left to wonder if the M line got a stay of execution? The R10 is definitely not a successor that. More time to find out, more rumors to sort through in the future.

Brian

• Haha
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I feel like the price point here is a little odd--I was expecting higher for the R7 and lower for the R10. Considering that the next step up to the R6 is $2500, it feels like there had been more room to make the R7 around $1600 and the R10 closer to $800.

$500 doesn't feel like the biggest amount of money to differentiate these two cameras. That's definitely going to push a lot more prosumer people towards the R7 for what it offers over the R10. The main advantage to the R10 is a more compact size, which I guess will be the main draw other than the $500 price difference.

That said, I could see Canon quickly putting the R10 on sale after it comes out and they have enough in stock, and making it more of a consumer "wow a camera for 100-200 dollars off" while keeping the R7 at full price.

Upvote 0
The R7's 'small' buffer seems similar to the R6's buffer. E.g. on the R6, I fill the buffer in just over 3 seconds (or 69 shots according to the display) at 20fps RAW + JPG. If we suppose that the R6 had 50% larger files and 50% faster frame rates, the buffer would fill at numbers similar to the R7. So perhaps less than we'd prefer, but not too bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
so.......no BSI?
No, FSI not BSI. Canon says it's a 'new' 32 MP sensor, but strictly speaking they rarely don't say that. There were many 'new' 18 MP sensors over the years. A small tweak in the CFA spectral tuning, a slight tweak in the underlying architecture, a slight tweak in the AA filter, that's all it takes for 'new'. I wonder if the R7 uses the improved AA filter design (16-point lowpass filter) found on the more recent FF sensors. That would be nice. Knowing Canon, I suspect it doesn't.

FSI means a slower readout speed and the rolling shutter effect that comes with it. This is from the TDP p/review. Every volleyball I've ever used is spherical. With the R7, not so much...

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 10.49.35 AM.png

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
R7 looks like a really good camera at that price point. Enough so it makes me wonder if I want to try one for more pixel density for field sports over my R6. At this point, it might also be over my dead body, unless I can hide it from my wife. :)

And I'm also left to wonder if the M line got a stay of execution? The R10 is definitely not a successor that. More time to find out, more rumors to sort through in the future.

Brian
Genuinely curious, what do you mean about buying it for pixel density? I truly can't imagine that as part of a buying decision.

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
Genuinely curious, what do you mean about buying it for pixel density? I truly can't imagine that as part of a buying decision.
If you display a photo on a monitor at 1:1 ratio of camera pixels to monitor pixels, the higher pixel density will zoom in more, giving you more "reach". In reality, this is what typically gives you more reach in an APS-C camera over a full frame camera because APS-C cameras almost always have a higher pixel density over full frame cameras. That's what attracts many amateur bird and wildlife photographers to APS-C cameras like the 7D, where it's often hard to get close to a bird without spooking it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I think it's pretty artificial but not entirely. A lot of the nifty features in the R5 and now the R7 are in firmware. Take, for example, the eye detects. To do that requires an image taken of the sensor but the actual detection is an algorithm in firmware. Firmware development is a non-recurring expense (NRE) but where is that expense assigned? Maybe the R5 is so expensive because Canon is trying to recoup the NRE for all of the nifty firmware features. The better EVF and FF sensor are recurring expenses and my guess is that the difference in cost between the R5 and R7 EVF and sensor is fairly small.

Does that make sense?

That's exactly what i meant. The actual hardware cost difference between R7 and R5 is nowhere near that big. A full frame sensor alone does not cost $500 more. And as you said, things like software (firmware), Digic X and many things are developed once and shared between the 2 cameras.

Now of course the more expensive a camera is, the smaller volume it will sell, so needs some extra cost added to compensate. But in the UK the R5 costs 3.2 times as much as the R7. £4299 vs £1349.

I bet there is a huge full frame premium tax on the R5.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I feel like the price point here is a little odd--I was expecting higher for the R7 and lower for the R10. Considering that the next step up to the R6 is $2500, it feels like there had been more room to make the R7 around $1600 and the R10 closer to $800.

$500 doesn't feel like the biggest amount of money to differentiate these two cameras. That's definitely going to push a lot more prosumer people towards the R7 for what it offers over the R10. The main advantage to the R10 is a more compact size, which I guess will be the main draw other than the $500 price difference.

That said, I could see Canon quickly putting the R10 on sale after it comes out and they have enough in stock, and making it more of a consumer "wow a camera for 100-200 dollars off" while keeping the R7 at full price.

I guess the R7 is the new 90D and not the new 7DII

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
No, FSI not BSI. Canon says it's a 'new' 32 MP sensor, but strictly speaking they rarely don't say that. There were many 'new' 18 MP sensors over the years. A small tweak in the CFA spectral tuning, a slight tweak in the underlying architecture, a slight tweak in the AA filter, that's all it takes for 'new'. I wonder if the R7 uses the improved AA filter design (16-point lowpass filter) found on the more recent FF sensors. That would be nice. Knowing Canon, I suspect it doesn't.

FSI means a slower readout speed and the rolling shutter effect that comes with it. This is from the TDP p/review. Every volleyball I've ever used is spherical. With the R7, not so much...

View attachment 203851

Were you one of the testers for the R7? What'd you think of it overall?

Upvote 0