Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R7, Canon EOS R10 and two new RF-S lenses

Feb 7, 2019
UK
From the TDP review: "Is battery grip available for the Canon EOS R7? Unfortunately, no, and the grip positioning holes are not provided." That certainly suggests your bet on the future release of a grip for the R7 would be unwise. One more piece of evidence that the R7 is not the 'pro-grade' 7-series camera for which some were hoping.
Oh wow I hadn’t seen that review! Strange move from Canon there…

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
R10 seems like a pretty great "entry level" camera although it is a bit higher in price than the current entry level DSLR from Canon (also seems to be much more capable than many entry level cameras).
The R7 is very interesting....seems like a fantastic mirrorless version of the 90D and the autofocus is going to be fantastic for those that are moving from the DSLR apsc cameras. The thing I'm most impressed with is the 15 fps mechanical shutter....than is better than nearly any apsc camera out there. The 30 fps electronic shutter would be about as useful as the 20 fps on the R5....I never use it since any shots I want that speed for you see issues with the slowness of getting the data off the sensor (warping of wings mostly for me). I guess it is fun for things that aren't moving much but I don't usually want that many shots of those types of things (others may find it useful). The new interface on the back looks interesting and it seems now that every canon camera is going to have different way of interacting with the buttons and wheels....not great for switching between cameras but since I switch between brands on the same shoot that is not too big a deal for me.

For both cameras, the EVF is pretty low end (I thought they would put a better one on the R7 at least).

It really would have been interesting if Canon had come out with the first APSC stacked sensor camera (at a significantly higher price) but I guess they don't see a market for that kind of camera at this point in time and want to fairly quickly get a full set of mirrorless R cameras on the market so they can eventually stop producing DSLRs

If that R7 works as expected I will likely be suggesting that camera for many people who are looking for a camera for birding at a "reasonable" price.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
So the press release says "All products will be available in late 2022."....that seems like a long wait for something announced and accepting pre-orders today. Do Canon press releases normally underestimate the availability date? Looking at the R5, it looks like it was announced on July 9th and I got my shipping notice on July 29th. Just anxious to get the R7 as my backup/special situation camera :)

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I have personally expected R7 being a real continuation of the 7DII. A solid R5 like body, with just APS-C sensor and lower specs on the video eventually. I know that companies want to innovate and test things, but that (to me useless, as was a print button) AF/MF button and the joystick / wheel hybrid, should be imo introduced on the R10 instead - a much less important body. It will either prevail, or be gone like the R touch bar.

As for the "unlocking" the R5/R6 video time limit - I can see it mentioned quite often. I think it will not actually happen. FF sensor size and R5/R6 internal design might be different to the APS-C based design of the R7. If it would be safe to do so, Canon would imo did it already ...
I thought the R10 would be the new 90D, and the R7 would be the 7D Mk II replacement, but it appears they are now using the R7 as a replacement for the 90D (even though Canon is saying it's not a replacement for the 90D) and the R10 is the replacement for the Rebel/850D line. I can understand how many will be disappointed by this. I agree with your point about the new dial being tested on the R10...that would have been more appropriate.

The video time unlocking very well might not happen for the R5/R6, but I think (and this is strictly an educated guess) it should at least be possible for FHD 30 FPS on the FF sensor.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
So the press release says "All products will be available in late 2022."....that seems like a long wait for something announced and accepting pre-orders today. Do Canon press releases normally underestimate the availability date? Looking at the R5, it looks like it was announced on July 9th and I got my shipping notice on July 29th. Just anxious to get the R7 as my backup/special situation camera :)
Pre-ordered mine today and Wex told me shipping would be in around 4 weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feels expensive compared to full frame RP but they seem to be able to charge a premium for processor speed.
Hard to compare the price of an old body with a new one, but also you're getting a fair bit more imho - IBIS, much more modern AF, and a higher res sensor. In any case the comparator for the RP is surely the R10.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I am wondering how artificial is that price gap. For example R7 vs R5. The most significant difference is the better EVF and FF sensor.
That cannot justify double the cost.
I think it's pretty artificial but not entirely. A lot of the nifty features in the R5 and now the R7 are in firmware. Take, for example, the eye detects. To do that requires an image taken of the sensor but the actual detection is an algorithm in firmware. Firmware development is a non-recurring expense (NRE) but where is that expense assigned? Maybe the R5 is so expensive because Canon is trying to recoup the NRE for all of the nifty firmware features. The better EVF and FF sensor are recurring expenses and my guess is that the difference in cost between the R5 and R7 EVF and sensor is fairly small.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
I think it's pretty artificial but not entirely. A lot of the nifty features in the R5 and now the R7 are in firmware. Take, for example, the eye detects. To do that requires an image taken of the sensor but the actual detection is an algorithm in firmware. Firmware development is a non-recurring expense (NRE) but where is that expense assigned? Maybe the R5 is so expensive because Canon is trying to recoup the NRE for all of the nifty firmware features. The better EVF and FF sensor are recurring expenses and my guess is that the difference in cost between the R5 and R7 EVF and sensor is fairly small.

Does that make sense?
Did either of you simply glance over both bodies? I'm sure there's a large profit margin, like any industry, but to call it artificial is a bit much in my opinion. Especially comparing an R5 to the R7.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
To give an example of size ... you can fit 2 M6's in the space of 1 R10.

CameraLength (mm)Width (mm)Depth (mm)Volume (mm3)Weight (g)
R10122.587.883.4897,008.7429
M61126844.5338,912390
M6 Mark II1197049.5465,349.5361
Should the Length/Width/Depth columns actually be Width, Height and Depth? Also what is the depth of the body alone, without the grip?

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
There’s a lot of stuff in the R7 that the RP doesn’t have. RP is a very basic camera really. It’s not all about sensor size.
Actually there really isn’t much the RP can’t do. Having used one alongside 5DS cameras for a year I believe there’s only two areas where it is possibly lacking. One is frame rate in Servo AF, which may be valid to some people, and the second is the older design off chip ADC, which is probably not valid to the the vast majority of users.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Just a thought re ergonomics. I am not shooting much lately, handed over the studio to my wife. But - I do remember my first few days with R5 compared to few years with 5D IV - I have simply found the joystick being too far top/left and had to stretch my thumb to reach it. Maybe that's the reason, why Canon has moved the wheel towards the joystick on the R7, so that you don't need to move your thumb up and down so much? Curious, how this experiment will end-up.

Upvote 0
From the TDP review: "Is battery grip available for the Canon EOS R7? Unfortunately, no, and the grip positioning holes are not provided." That certainly suggests your bet on the future release of a grip for the R7 would be unwise. One more piece of evidence that the R7 is not the 'pro-grade' 7-series camera for which some were hoping.
Dang, I was really hoping for a battery grip on this one, that's a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0