Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R7, Canon EOS R10 and two new RF-S lenses

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wearing my eyeglasses when driving is not essential. After all, the car was designed to be driven as is without eyeglasses. But they sure do help me see what I need to see to drive safely.

If you had a right shoulder in the shape mine is in, you'd understand why some of us consider vertical controls essential for shooting in portrait orientation.
You need a car with a prescription windscreen (windshield).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
Haha, that’s not really the same thing..

The camera is designed to be used as is.. The grip would be an optional extra.

As is a manual flash connector, headphone jack, 24fps video and any number of other things that are essential to some and useless to others that occasionally get dropped from otherwise desirable cameras.

Quibbling over whether something is 'really' essential misses the point that it is essential to that buyer, particularly when physical pain is involved without it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
It feels like Canon is run by General Motors accountants. It does the same flubs of lack of attention to details like GM's pencil pushers are famous for; just look at the bottomline without looking at what consumers want. To me R7 does not feel like a 7D Mirrorless replacement, like R5 is to 5D.

1. Weather sealing deficiencies
2. Small buffer
3. No battery grip option
4. Lack of LCD on top
5. Only SD cards capability

This is more of a mirrorless Rebel+, than a prosumer 7D was. I wonder what the capital outlay decision was to have the camera in the body of a R5 with a higher price than making its own body and eliminating the features above with a lower price. Because I am certain prosumers would have shelled money for it, for those features even if it would have been $500 to $700 higher. If my memory serves correct, 6D and 7D were on price parity targeting different clientele. I was hoping the same with R6 and R7.
While I see your point, you can’t comment on it until you’ve used it. Looks like a solid performer to me. The potential lack of a grip is a bit rubbish, but we don’t know that for sure yet.

What weather sealing deficiencies? My trusty old 80D has been in many rainforest downpours, pretty much uncovered and it’s currently on 85,000 shutter actuations and still going strong. I suspect the R7 will be absolutely fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What weather sealing deficiencies? My trusty old 80D has been in many rainforest downpours, pretty much uncovered and it’s currently on 85,000 shutter actuations and still going strong. I suspect the R7 will be absolutely fine.
Weather sealing is like the lottery – some people use Rebels in the rain (I’ve seen that) with no problems, others report water damage to 1-series bodies in similar conditions.

At issue is not your personal experience/luck, but rather the type and extent of sealing Canon uses on the camera. As one example, recent 1-series bodies and the R3 have O-rings under buttons, bodies with second-tier sealing (7DII, 5DIV, R5) have foam.

The point is that Canon stated the 7-series DSLRs had weather sealing equivalent to that on older 1-series DSLRs, e.g. the 1DIIN. The R7 has third-tier sealing similar to later xxD DSLRs, which is not as robust as the 7-series DSLRs.

It’s another way in which the R7 is not a mirrorless 7DIII.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Weather sealing is like the lottery – some people use Rebels in the rain (I’ve seen that) with no problems, others report water damage to 1-series bodies in similar conditions.

At issue is not your personal experience/luck, but rather the type and extent of sealing Canon uses on the camera. As one example, recent 1-series bodies and the R3 have O-rings under buttons, bodies with second-tier sealing (7DII, 5DIV, R5) have foam.

The point is that Canon stated the 7-series DSLRs had weather sealing equivalent to that on older 1-series DSLRs, e.g. the 1DIIN. The R7 has third-tier sealing similar to later xxD DSLRs, which is not as robust as the 7-series DSLRs.

It’s another way in which the R7 is not a mirrorless 7DIII.
Yeah I get that, does seem a little watered down and not as hardcore as 7D line. I’m confident it’ll be fine though, with a little common sense when using in the rain.

Upvote 0
So now all of sudden you can see how who is using something may affect how essential a certain "optional" feature is?

How about that!
I mean I think the analogy is a bit weak tbh. I wasn't the one who was making sweeping claims about grips either way, incidentally. But I don't think they're quite akin to either shoes or eyeglasses.

Upvote 0
It really is a pity that Canon didn’t go with a 20-24 megapixel APS-C sensor for the R7 with better low light performance. That would have been awesome. Especially considering the great RF lenses that you can match this with that didn’t exists in the old EF space.

Match a good low light 20-24 megapixel APS-C with the 800mm f11 … wow!

Upvote 0
It really is a pity that Canon didn’t go with a 20-24 megapixel APS-C sensor for the R7 with better low light performance. That would have been awesome. Especially considering the great RF lenses that you can match this with that didn’t exists in the old EF space.

Is there much low light performance to be gained at this point? People far more knowledgeable than me have been saying for some time that we're getting close to theoretical limits in that regard.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

The low light performance is pretty well independent of Mpx count when you view at the same size. You can always downsize the high Mpx sensor image to the same size as the low Mpx to get the same noise.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think you’ll find there is next to no difference in image detail from one to the other. The R3 resolve more like 30MPs… not sure exactly why. But it does.
The R7 has a FF pixel equivalent of 82 Mpx Sensor. Put the same telephoto lens on the R7 as on the R3 to take a photo of a distant bird or lion and you are focussing 82/24 times more pixels on it. That is the crux of the matter of why you get more detail.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
R7 is magnesium too apparently
Pretty certain it will just be the internal chassis, similar to RP and R6. DPR also stated that these cameras were mag alloy body, which they are not in terms of what most of us understand the ‘body’ to be.

Upvote 0