Canon Patent Application: Fast Focusing Prime lenses

In this patent application, Japan Patent Application 2023-120952 Canon discusses developing lenses for video, surveillance, and stills photography that have very quick autofocus. The method they use for this is reducing the weight of the focus group to allow for quicker focus. There are a few embodiments that look cool – but the back-focus distance

See full article...

Aug 10, 2021
Sometimes almost immediately, since by the time we see it 18 months have elapsed since it was filed (or longer if there was a provisional filing). But most of them never enter production.
I haven't been paying attention very long, but if it's going to happen, don't they usually announce it officially within a week or two?

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Personally I'm more curious about a patent application mentioning (APS-C?) designs for 10-21mm f/2-2.8 and 11-28mm f/2-2.8 wideangle zooms, though I'm not sure they are meant for consumer RF mount cameras (Richard?):

If it is an APS-C design, the 10-21mm would be an interesting option for me (the other wouldn't be wide enough to replace my current EF-S wideangle zoom).

Upvote 0