tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Viggo said:
tron said:
Viggo said:
tron said:
Viggo said:
Available early in May? That means mid June , which is seriously dissapointing. It means previous years ridicolous delays will continue. The 7d announced in March, actual availability, mid December... And the 35 L II will earliest be a 2015 product... Yes I'm whining, but with good reason ;D
Except that you are wrong! It was announced Sep 1, 2009.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos7d

Yes, I am pretty much aware of CURRENT 7d ::)
So as to consider it announced March... unless you meant 7d2 which in that case you should have said ... 7d2 maybe? ::)

I thought my sentence followed the timeline from the G1x rumor past the 35 L II and the mentioning of 2015 at the end made it clear, but no.. But yeah, 7d2.. :p
OK :) A 7D2 I guess is welcome even if some time passes between announcement and availability. They first have to make it right eeeer I mean they first have to make it anyway ;D

P.S Please no ... teasing with 35mm 1.4L II :)

Upvote 0
The only thing this update is going to reliably bring is Wifi and a touchscreen on the swivel. Most likely GPS but maybe not. A newer processor is a given, and that is probably where the IQ increase is supposedly coming from. A new sensor, preferably with dual pixel, would be GREAT but I am afraid to hope too much. The sensor is definitely not going to increase in size. The lens is probably not going to get any faster, although one hopes it would get a little faster and a little wider. One also hopes the AF gets better, especially in low light, and the close focusing works better without hitting the macro button, but again, this is probably hoping too much.

Anything else is a pipe dream. It isn't going to get much smaller or lighter, or faster or wider or longer lens'ed, and it isn't going to get cheaper either. If Canon upgraded the G1X properly, people's heads would explode. If they put in an EVF, optical flash master capability, dual pixel sensor with faster AF, a 24mm equivalent on the wide angle with 2.8, decent close focusing without having to hit the button, plus GPS, Wifi, and a touchscreen, it would sell like crazy. But I think Canon is more interested in offering multiple models with varying strong points than they are in offering a single model that crushes everything else. They don't want to cannibalize their G line sales and their DSLR sales. They want to sell you one of each (worked on me).

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
mrzero said:
... It isn't going to get much smaller or lighter, or faster or wider or longer lens'ed, and it isn't going to get cheaper either. If Canon upgraded the G1X properly, people's heads would explode. If they put in an EVF, optical flash master capability, dual pixel sensor with faster AF, a 24mm equivalent on the wide angle with 2.8, decent close focusing without having to hit the button, plus GPS, Wifi, and a touchscreen, it would sell like crazy. But I think Canon is more interested in offering multiple models with varying strong points than they are in offering a single model that crushes everything else. They don't want to cannibalize their G line sales and their DSLR sales. They want to sell you one of each (worked on me).

I agree with your predictions. But ... for me Canon's strategy has not worked. I won't buy another DSLR from them, and I will only buy a full-frame MILC, if they ever bring one, taht is good enough AND affordable. hehe. :)

At least in Europe, people who know what they are doing have stopped buying Canon G-powershots a long time ago already. The G1X was a dismla flop. The successor will be an even bigger flop, because of
a) pricing ["Canon considers this segment a “top of the line” product and it will probably be priced as such" bla bla] and
b) much better products available LEFT and RIGHT.
8) ;D

Upvote 0
distant.star said:
[...]

Any smaller and it gets into the EOS-M range. With the EOS-M you get a lot more versatility with interchangeable lenses (and APS-C sensor, of course).

Current dimensions:

G1 X: 4.6 X 3.2 X 2.6 (in)
EOS-M: 4.3 X 2.6 X 1.3 (in)

[...]

That's what came into my mind after checking if a G 1 X successor is of some potential value for me:
DEFINITELY NOT - the EOS M has roughly the same size but gives much more flexibility.
What's missing (for me) is a compact 40mm or 70mm lens with e.g. 1.5 inch length ...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
AvTvM said:
mrzero said:
... It isn't going to get much smaller or lighter, or faster or wider or longer lens'ed, and it isn't going to get cheaper either. If Canon upgraded the G1X properly, people's heads would explode. If they put in an EVF, optical flash master capability, dual pixel sensor with faster AF, a 24mm equivalent on the wide angle with 2.8, decent close focusing without having to hit the button, plus GPS, Wifi, and a touchscreen, it would sell like crazy. But I think Canon is more interested in offering multiple models with varying strong points than they are in offering a single model that crushes everything else. They don't want to cannibalize their G line sales and their DSLR sales. They want to sell you one of each (worked on me).

I agree with your predictions. But ... for me Canon's strategy has not worked. I won't buy another DSLR from them, and I will only buy a full-frame MILC, if they ever bring one, taht is good enough AND affordable. hehe. :)

At least in Europe, people who know what they are doing have stopped buying Canon G-powershots a long time ago already. The G1X was a dismla flop. The successor will be an even bigger flop, because of
a) pricing ["Canon considers this segment a “top of the line” product and it will probably be priced as such" bla bla] and
8) ;D
Correct! The advantage of the big sensor is nullified by the lens max aperture. Sensor cannot increase in size so the lens must be made faster. Which of course would cause a size and cost increase etc, etc...

But as it is a smaller camera (say one with a 1inch sensor) with a faster lens would seem the better choice.

Upvote 0
tron said:
AvTvM said:
mrzero said:

8) ;D
Correct! The advantage of the big sensor is nullified by the lens max aperture. Sensor cannot increase in size so the lens must be made faster. Which of course would cause a size and cost increase etc, etc...

But as it is a smaller camera (say one with a 1inch sensor) with a faster lens would seem the better choice.

That's the G16, although the sensor is smaller than 1-inch. The lens is 1.8 wide to 2.8 tele. That's what I'm saying about segmenting out the lines.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Lee Jay said:
Canon Rumors said:
You can expect a smaller and lighter body, a big boost in image quality (sensor size is unknown at this time), DIGIC 6,...

Big boost in image quality? The 70D sensor would be a small boost in image quality, and the processing of the DIGIC 6 would likewise be a small boost in JPEG image quality. So is that what passes for a "big boost in image quality" or are they doing something else, like an exceptional lens or better sensor technology than in the 70D? It's hard for me to believe they'd introduce new sensor tech in a product such as this, so I'm at a loss.

I had a thought.

Let's say it has the 70D sensor, but with firmware that reads each half of each pixel at different ISOs, kind of like what ML is doing to increase dynamic range. That could be a "big boost in image quality". And, what if at the release, a new firmware for the 70D comes out that does the same thing with that camera? That would be kind of cool!

Upvote 0