Canon PowerShot G5 X & PowerShot G9 X Leak

mrsfotografie said:
scyrene said:
powershot2012 said:
Canonitis: Noun/Latin origin - To never go the full step you really need to innovate and take over the market.

What does 'take over' mean? If there's one thing Canon does well, it's sell cameras. They may not be the best, but they sure sell a lot.

(Hint: creating the most innovative product is not necessarily how you dominate or even succeed in a market).

I think Canon is the best, not from an innovation point of view or any specific technology such as image sensors, but because Canon has the most robust DSLR system available. Conservative advancements and careful marketing with respect to product positioning (what we would call camera's with 'crippled' features) are a logical part of that, but it means you also have the best compatibility of products across the range as well as product history imaginable. Coupled with what I believe are the best ergonomics in the DSLR market, and a strong and recognizable product design style, Canon EOS continues to be a winner.

Now if we look at innovation, Sony is my favorite - but it comes at a cost with Sony struggling to attain green figures year on end. The new alpha mirrorless camera's are a winner but the system itself is relatively only very young. There is great promise in the FE-mount and clearly Sony has moved their attention from developing lenses for E-mount to FE-mount, but I wonder if they're not shifting lens development too much away from the APS-C system if you look at overall marketing potential and revenue. They could do with (much) better entry level and mid-range glass at more competitive prices because the performance of the range of optical offerings for the (advanced) amateur is somewhat disappointing - and it's a big financial stretch to get the better optics higher in the range.

Well said. Although I try to avoid terms like 'best', as they're rather subjective, your position is well considered :)

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
mrsfotografie said:
scyrene said:
powershot2012 said:
Canonitis: Noun/Latin origin - To never go the full step you really need to innovate and take over the market.

What does 'take over' mean? If there's one thing Canon does well, it's sell cameras. They may not be the best, but they sure sell a lot.

(Hint: creating the most innovative product is not necessarily how you dominate or even succeed in a market).

I think Canon is the best, not from an innovation point of view or any specific technology such as image sensors, but because Canon has the most robust DSLR system available. Conservative advancements and careful marketing with respect to product positioning (what we would call camera's with 'crippled' features) are a logical part of that, but it means you also have the best compatibility of products across the range as well as product history imaginable. Coupled with what I believe are the best ergonomics in the DSLR market, and a strong and recognizable product design style, Canon EOS continues to be a winner.

Now if we look at innovation, Sony is my favorite - but it comes at a cost with Sony struggling to attain green figures year on end. The new alpha mirrorless camera's are a winner but the system itself is relatively only very young. There is great promise in the FE-mount and clearly Sony has moved their attention from developing lenses for E-mount to FE-mount, but I wonder if they're not shifting lens development too much away from the APS-C system if you look at overall marketing potential and revenue. They could do with (much) better entry level and mid-range glass at more competitive prices because the performance of the range of optical offerings for the (advanced) amateur is somewhat disappointing - and it's a big financial stretch to get the better optics higher in the range.

Well said. Although I try to avoid terms like 'best', as they're rather subjective, your position is well considered :)

You're right of course. And it's my personal -subjective- opinion that they're the 'best' in offering an all-round camera system. Of course if I thought Canon was the best overall... I wouldn't also have and use a Sony Alpha 6000 ;)

Upvote 0
Oh but the super slow lens of the G9X is so 2013.

Don't care the weight or size, the G9X is old as Sony did the RX100 II nearly 3 years ago and Canon decides to now copy and use Sonys sensor...,Brilliant Canon!

okaro said:
powershot2012 said:
Yes! In 2012, the G9X would had been impressive, that was when Sony released the original RX100. Sorry, but it's now almost 2016 and we are on the RX100 IV and seems like Canon has missed the mark yet again...no excuse for that slow lens let alone lacking any advancement the competition didn't offer nearly 4 years ago. Nice camera, but yesterday's news and specs.

Sony RX100 IV weights 298 grams and is 41 mm tick. Canon G9 X weights 209 grams and is 31 mm tick. Sony is 42 % heavier and 32 % ticker. Can you name any camera with one inch sensor which is as small as the G9 X?

Upvote 0