Canon R5

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
So, just repeat old CR posts with a click bait headline and no news or information. Lame. My prediction. Canon makes an R1 development announcement in 3rd quarter and a real announcement in first quarter 2024. That follows with an R5 announcement in second quarter 2024. Mirrors similar timetable as 1D and 5D. Rumor of no R5 II is b.s.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Price drop may have more to do with the economy than with the replacement cycle. Money is getting very tight. There are deals showing up on all kinds of stuff (not just cameras) that normally isn't discounted.
Canon will soon distribute a major firmware upgrade for the R5 (2.0), if they were about to announce the R5II it would be unlikely for that kind of a move. It looks like the R5II will wait a year or two once they either solve the BS sensor for 45MP or release of the R1 which (I hope) will have about 24MP-30MP global sensor.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
I also believe the economy is driving the dip in pricing. Feds just added another quarter %. Canon is making a profit and giving back a little, pricing what the market will bear. Now the R5 is $500 off and you get the battery grip for free. Pretty sweet deal.

Ordinary film maker. Every once in a great while he says something you can actually believe. The other 85-90% of the time, clickbait. I don't subscribe to his channel. DeafDirector (Bryan), Josh Satin, G Undone and Gordon (CameraLabs) yes.

Nikon has corrected their financials by pulling out of Japan and moving manufacturing to Taiwan. (Did they?) Read that somewhere. OK, Still won't buy one of their cameras with a hingey thing on the back. I liked the D850, but not that screen.

Sony, no G Masters here. You can cut your hand open on their jagged edges. For a company that makes such nice things, the blocky design of their cameras has always escaped me. They're number 2 so I guess someone likes them.

I'm also feeling good about R5 users getting the enhanced AF, pre-shooting buffer and some other things this summer. I don't know if it will be 2.0. Canon's already posted a short list on the R5 C's product page (dubbed 1.0.4.1). Like anything else, subject to change, but seems probable. No reason not to do it and will make a lot of people happy.

The R52 and R1 are next year products like @unfocused said. If the summer FW releases are "good enough" (whatever that means) Canon will be able to ride out the rest of the year with users feeling like their 3 yr old R5's can compete (retain their value) with the newer features of the R62. Also incredible there is only a $1k difference between these body's now.

All interesting stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Here in Tokyo, Bic Camera is still showing JPY572,000, USD4,265, though that's with tax and delivered (domestically), and includes points with a cash value of 10% of that price (in other words, points to buy $426.50 worth of other goods). So effectively, $3,840 with tax/delivery.

I got min May 2022 for JPY385,000, (USD2,870) used but with apparently 0 shutter triggers. I didn't get one earlier as I was really out of photography for several years, didn't know why but it seemed to be a chore--then it turned out I simply had cataracts and after I got that addressed I was back shooting again.

I'm so comprehensively satisfied by the R5 in all respects that I can't see why I'd get the R5 Mk II. I can't imagine a small improvement in resolution and better low-light would tempt me, longer 8k etc. It has to be something that's a big step up, like global shutter, built-in ND, taking HDR in a single shot, etc. etc., and Canon patented a new sensor about four years ago that can do all that. One thing I'd really like is ND enabling a time-lapse mode that blurs motion.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Price drop may have more to do with the economy than with the replacement cycle.
If the price drop is R5 only, it's due to it being an old camera at this point (older than the EOS1DsMkI and MkII were when they were replaced, I think).

You might be right, Dragon, but if so it'd be on a wide range of equipment.

Even then, it wouldn't just be a wide range in one market/country/currency, but world-wide. If all yen prices go up or down, say, but all other prices are solid, it's more likely to be a factor of currency exchange rates or hedging, or inflation in that currency area.

Upvote 0
I also believe the economy is driving the dip in pricing. Feds just added another quarter %. Canon is making a profit and giving back a little, pricing what the market will bear. Now the R5 is $500 off and you get the battery grip for free. Pretty sweet deal.

Ordinary film maker. Every once in a great while he says something you can actually believe. The other 85-90% of the time, clickbait. I don't subscribe to his channel. DeafDirector (Bryan), Josh Satin, G Undone and Gordon (CameraLabs) yes.

Nikon has corrected their financials by pulling out of Japan and moving manufacturing to Taiwan. (Did they?) Read that somewhere. OK, Still won't buy one of their cameras with a hingey thing on the back. I liked the D850, but not that screen.

Sony, no G Masters here. You can cut your hand open on their jagged edges. For a company that makes such nice things, the blocky design of their cameras has always escaped me. They're number 2 so I guess someone likes them.

I'm also feeling good about R5 users getting the enhanced AF, pre-shooting buffer and some other things this summer. I don't know if it will be 2.0. Canon's already posted a short list on the R5 C's product page (dubbed 1.0.4.1). Like anything else, subject to change, but seems probable. No reason not to do it and will make a lot of people happy.

The R52 and R1 are next year products like @unfocused said. If the summer FW releases are "good enough" (whatever that means) Canon will be able to ride out the rest of the year with users feeling like their 3 yr old R5's can compete (retain their value) with the newer features of the R62. Also incredible there is only a $1k difference between these body's now.

All interesting stuff.
The R5

All interesting stuff.
The R5 battery grip should be free all the time. It is the worst piece of Canon gear I have ever bought. Nothing feels ergonomically correct on it, nothing seems to fit right. It seems like they had an outside source design and manufacture it. It's not up to Canon standards.

• Wow
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
The R5 battery grip should be free all the time. It is the worst piece of Canon gear I have ever bought. Nothing feels ergonomically correct on it, nothing seems to fit right. It seems like they had an outside source design and manufacture it. It's not up to Canon standards.
Agree, it does seem not much thought was put into it. The grip for the R is really nice, very contoured to match the R body and has a charging port on it.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
The R5

Sorry you don't like yours. You may be in the minority. Lots of people seem to like the R5's grip. I haven't bought one myself.

"Nothing feels ergonomically correct on it, nothing seems to fit right." Put it on the bottom of my R5 C and then you can complain about fit :ROFLMAO:

I think you need an R3 if you want unibody construction. I enjoy the compact size of my R5 C. I use USB-C PD, but I'm considering one for summer.

**Batteries will charge if USB-C PD is connected to the camera and its off. Only LP-EN6H charges in the grip. Definitely agree it flares a bit in comparison to earlier models.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Price drop may have more to do with the economy than with the replacement cycle. Money is getting very tight. There are deals showing up on all kinds of stuff (not just cameras) that normally isn't discounted.

High-end PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe drives, for instance!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

On the other hand:

The 5D Mark IV came out in September 2016. Almost three years later in June of 2019 Canon dropped the price around $500 and included a free battery grip in a promotion that only lasted a few weeks. I remember that distinctly because it's when I bought mine.

The R5 came out in 2020. Here we are almost three years later in May 2023 and Canon is knocking off around $500 and throwing in a free grip...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
High-end PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe drives, for instance!
Memory in general has dropped like a rock because people are not buying or building computers an anywhere near the rate they were a year or two ago.
You can get some pretty sweet deals on hard drives as well. Never hurts to have an extra backup and spinning rust has better data longevity than flash memory in spite of all the mechanicals.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
On the other hand:

The 5D Mark IV came out in September 2016. Almost three years later in June of 2019 Canon dropped the price around $500 and included a free battery grip in a promotion that only lasted a few weeks. I remember that distinctly because it's when I bought mine.

The R5 came out in 2020. Here we are almost three years later in May 2023 and Canon is knocking off around $500 and throwing in a free grip...
If you go to CanonPriceWatch and look at the price history charts for the 5D series there is a pattern of price drops often beginning as early as one year after introduction and continuing until the introduction of a subsequent model. The surprising thing is not that the R5 price has dropped, it is that the R5 price has held steady for as long as it has, only starting to drop around November of last year. That Canon kept the price high for so long is likely the result of pandemic shortages that keep demand above supply for longer than usual.

If the usual pattern holds, the R5 will remain at or near current prices until shortly before an announcement of the R5 II. Once the R5 II announcement is imminent, we may see another significant drop in price.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0