Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

gmon750

CR Pro
Jan 30, 2015
So are the Canon-Butt-Kissers appologizing for any flaws as not being an issues because All-Mighty-Canon-God is perfection. :)

Please, what is the point of these forums if we're restricted to only be able to write positive or write negative things about products. People have differences in opinions....I was only kidding in my above paragraph. I like to play devil's advocate to get a wide range of opinions to help with my purchasing decisions. But at the same time, need to make sure to separate fact from fiction.

Other cameras (including Sony) overheat when shooting 4K. This is no different, except it also does it at 8K. Has nothing to do with being in the Canon camp... it's haters focusing on Canon for a problem common to most all other cameras as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I haven’t read through all the comments on this thread but did you all know that not all, or possibly any current, CFExpress cards work with 8K Raw? I was able to have hands on time today with a production unit and when I asked the Canon rep why 8K recording didn’t work he said that a lot of current CFExpress cards don’t work because the write speeds are actually much lower than what is stated. He could not recommend any current CFExpress card that would definitely work with 8K.
Not news, really. On the 1D MkIII specs, only ProGrade Cobalt series, SanDisk Extreme Pro (512GB only) and Lexar 128 & 256 cards support 5.5K raw. ProGrade's website indicates the Cobalt cards do support 8K raw.

Upvote 0
Maybe it is not the camera for you?

So you have a production model in your hand, you've shot a couple hundred hours on it in direct sunlight on 100F days and you have statistical data to backup that statement...no of course not, so in other words your statement makes no sense at all and is made strictly from a "Canon walks on water and can do no wrong" viewpoint. I get this is a Canon forum but take off the blinders and realize at least briefly that maybe just maybe overheating just might be a real problem and without real world feedback all we have to go on is what Canon has already released which is nowhere near enough information to know how bad the situation is going to get in real world use.

Do you really think it is such a minor issue when Peter McKinnon a "Canon ambassador of light" still felt he had to mention it in an otherwise glowing review of all things Canon? What that probably means is he experienced it first hand and I'm pretty sure he was not shooting 20min of 8K raw video.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I guess I misunderstood this and other articles on the subject.

Forget the theorizing and compare RAW files from different pixel pitch cameras, of the same technological generation, at the same view size (not the same magnification in PS or LR, which results in greater enlargement for the higher resolution sensor). The noise is similar with the caveat that noise structure appears sharper on the higher density sensor.

The article's error is here: "All pixels collect the same amount of noise, but larger pixels collect more of the “good” data than smaller pixels."

This statement is true, but it ignores that with gapless microlenses the total amount of 'good data' will be the same for two sensors of the same size regardless of pixel size.

Other than that the article also underestimates the ideal resolution required for various view sizes, but that's a separate issue.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Forget the theorizing and compare RAW files from different pixel pitch cameras, of the same technological generation, at the same view size (not the same magnification in PS or LR, which results in greater enlargement for the higher resolution sensor). The noise is similar with the caveat that noise structure appears sharper on the higher density sensor.

The article's error is here: "All pixels collect the same amount of noise, but larger pixels collect more of the “good” data than smaller pixels."

This statement is true, but it ignores that with gapless microlenses the total amount of 'good data' will be the same for two sensors of the same size regardless of pixel size.

Other than that the article also underestimates the ideal resolution required for various view sizes, but that's a separate issue.

I don't really believe that's true. Maybe in theory, yes, but in reality you are dealing with smaller photo diodes, smaller transistors, more prone to noise or false data.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
So since 4k 30 does not have the overheating problem can we get unlimited recording time?

Not unless you want to pay a lot more. Some parts of the world tax video cameras much more than stills cameras. 30 minutes is the dividing line.

Upvote 0
Still unaddressed: Can you mitigate some of these heat concerns, at least at 4K60 and below, by using an external recorder? That way at least you're offloading the h.265 compression to an external unit.

You buy a cheap USB powered aluminum or copper CPU heat sink plus fan and use double sided THERMAL TAPE (i.e. a proper thermal transfer adhesive tape!) and stick it to the left side of the R5/r6 camera.

In the old days of shooting with the Sony A7s2 camera which was KNOWN to always overheat, we also wrapped the camera in those blue-coloured flexible cooling gel packs that you buy at your local dollar store. After taking those gel packs out of a cooler filled with ice or out of a local refrigerator, we wrapped/taped them around the camera body itself so we could run the Sony A7s2 all day on multiple gel packs (about $2.00 per gel pack or $25 US total for multiple packs).

The same simple solution should work fine for the Canon R5 and R6 cameras too!

If you want to get fancy, just use a CPU cooling block and fan stuck to the hottest part of the camera and you should be fine for the whole day. A camera cage can ALSO hold one or more small and quiet USB powered fans to blow cool air onto the camera itself!

AND if you REALLY want to get fancy, do what Linus Tech Tips (LTT) did with their RED camera by using a custom computer-oriented liquid cooling system to cool the electronics. A liquid cooling system using silicone oil or mineral oil or other thermal fluid SHOULD work just fine on the Canon R5/R6 !!!

SHOULD we have to do this for ANY new camer system? No! No! and Double Hell NO!

BUT for now, as a CHEAP SOLUTION use multiple flexible blue gel packs kept in a freezer or cooler and wrap it around the camera within a simple cloth (i.e. the gel pack des NOT go right directly on the camera body but rather has a small thin cloth in-between to transfer heat at a medium rate!)

Also some aluminum or copper computer CPU heat sinks stuck to the hottest part of the cameras using double-sided sticky THERMAL TRANSFER tape should ALSO work!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
No reason, apart from they're competing with cellphones these days. My phone can record until its storage is full, in 4k.

I'm not a professional, but I am buying my first proper camera (I went with the R6) right now. A cine camera definitely wasn't on the cards — I want a camera to learn still photography, make youtube videos, and sometimes record shows for amateur theatre. While I do wish the R6 had a 4k mode that didn't overheat (like the R5 does), the 30 minute limit is actually more annoying to me, because my much cheaper multi-purpose device (cellphone) can do it.

I'll probably buy an external recorder. But I feel annoyed that I have to :(
Welcome to the world of photography in that case! Hope you stay engaged in here and we can help you s time goes on!!

Few thoughts based your statement:

Congrats on choosing the R6. It will be an absolutely excellent camera for you and ME! I have one on pre-order. If your goal is to learn photography, the R6 is the best choice you could have made to do that. You will be very, very happy. The EOS Cinema line would be overkill and would not meet your goals.

If recording YouTube videos and basic live events is what you want, the R6 is flawlessly perfect. The overheating stories are a non-issue for you.

You will be recording in 1080p24 or 1080p30 for Youtube. Even in 4K24 or 4K30, you'll be just fine. The camera will NOT overheat in these normal, everyday recording modes of standard speeds/framerates.

Ignore the "overheating" stuff. None of it applies in real world routine situations. Only in very specific, comparably very rare instances.

If streaming/recording to YouTube, you'll probably want to invest in a good HDMI video capture device anyway. They run about $100. This will let you direct output clean HDMI to the device to record or live stream straight into your computer. This is the case with ANY camera.

Should you wish to record internally in camera, you may! But if you will do YouTube regularly, I would advise you get the capture card. The $100 is well worth it to make your life a whole lot easier.

For theater, you obviously need more than 30 mins uninterrupted. Yes, buy an external recorder or buy a dedicated Canon video camera. You don't need Cinema lines for this.

Phones dont have the same licensing requirements as dedicated cameras. Their sensors are also microscopic compared to full frame 35mm size like the R6. There is zero comparison in image quality and versatility. You're stepping up to a real camera. It's not an all-in-one entry level machine.

On the flip side, the R6 will have aa super sophisticated IBIS system. A $100,000 ARRI Hollywood camera does not have that. You have to strap it to a $10,000 body suit gimbal. So the phone to R6 comparison doesn't work when put into the right perspective.

Personally I've never shot a 30 minute video on my phone. They look awful when you play them back on a screen bigger than a few inches anyway. I can't say how long they go before overheating.

Anyhow, thanks for chiming in! Hope we can help out!!!! Best wishes to you in your new endeavor !! Canon Rumors forum should be a place where folks like you starting out can come and get help from us more seasoned guys and girls. Hope this helped!!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I don't really believe that's true. Maybe in theory, yes, but in reality you are dealing with smaller photo diodes, smaller transistors, more prone to noise or false data.
I did it myself back for the 1DS MkIII and 7D and posted here extensively. For same generation sensors the meme of pixel density = noise has been debunked by those who actually compare them for years, just take a few seconds and download some RAW files from DPReview to -rove it to yourself. If you are too lazy to do that just look at their studio comparison tool and make sure you click the ’print’ option. And if you do that remember they are all processed with ‘standard’ Adobe settings not image optimal settings, any differences can be overcome with optimal processing.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the correction. The sarcasm isn't necessary. I had no malice or evil intent.
No sarcasm sent. It is just staggering how long these fallacies perpetuate especially when they are so easily and regularly disproven. Compare that to the number of people with opinions on an as yet unreleased cameras thermal performance!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0