Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

Jan 22, 2012
You are so right - I don't have a camera that will over heat and shut down at any unpredictable time in above 73F, let alone outside in 95F. Even if I do what Canon suggests to do which is to bring a Fan with me...but they won't put it in their camera. They try to address the issue: "Magnesium alloy was used in the body to dissipate heat" - really??, that is nothing new. Putting a fan in a camera can be done so that it remains weather resistance - they just can't do it without a good ROI.
Your posts continue to get -------. Many people will not face overheating or know how to work around the issue. And that is who the camera is designed for. Canon must keep the majority happy. The majority will want a weather-sealed, compact camera. And nothing is unpredictable as such - it is all mentioned. Get a grip on life.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Why is paying more a bargain? In general the price of technology falls over time. Except for digital cameras apparently when we should just be content in paying more with each generation?

Does it? The price of a given amount of memory or processing power drops over time, but devices get more capable, so the prices eithr stay the same or get more expensive. How much was the most expensive mainstream mobile phone ten years ago? Was it more than now? (Answer: no). Plus inflation of course. Once again, a complete ignorance of reality plus a dollop of entitlement.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Sounds like the Ursa is a better option for you in any case. If you don't mind, I'm curious what is driving your business shift to video? Not asking related to anything about this camera or that...just interested from the business perspective?

a) The demise of print and the rise of online advertising leads to more "moving" content.
b) No more trade fairs. Companies used to be there to be visible. Now they need to be online with streams, webinars, Q&As to remain visible. CEO with seven branch offices, can't go to all seven xmas parties. Records video address or streams live to one after the other or all at once. Another CEO unwilling to travel to a country where he has safety concerns. Video address via Youtube. Audience reaction via return channel blasted against the studio back wall with a beamer. Anything that enhances experience and replaces in person contacts.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Private, I respect your opinion and research on this, but the guy does say R6 is better in low light. So I am confused, Again! :)
Ok there are several approaches you can take to answer this question satisfactorily for yourself, but first you have to quantify ‘better’. For me it means a viewable improvement in IQ at standard screen or output sizes, for Canon it might well mean measurable on an oscilloscope. If you agree with Canon then technically they might be right, if you agree with my definition then that small a difference, ‘better’, is irrelevant.

Then you can look at the numbers on Photonstophotos.com, compare any same generation sensors from any manufacturer in the last ten years that illustrate a meaningful correlation to fewer pixels equates better high iso performance, I haven’t managed to find a set. Personally I love the site and find my actual image performance aligns very closely with their numbers and comparisons, but it is a bit scientific for a visual medium and detached from what we are actually doing.

For a true visual reference DPReview has a huge library of downloadable RAW files. Just download a few you are interested in, or that can prove or disprove an idea you have. I have downloaded loads of RAW files from them exactly for instances like this. So once you have your files you have to define a realistic comparison, for me that is same sized output, it is after all pointless comparing different pixel density sensors at a percentage value, they have to be same size, or ‘print’ value as that is what we are actually interested in seeing. If you want to print to 20” x 30” then upsize the smaller resolution etc.

You could also listen to and believe anything you are told, but if you do that consider the source, and where they got the information from. The camera industry is like every other industry, it is trying to sell product. In their case it is a tech product that few people understand the physics of and unfortunate marketing or memes that were normally started to help alleviate confusion really end up causing more confusion down the line when they become accepted norms. Things like crop camera focal lengths, we know the focal length doesn’t change but for an uneducated market it is easier to name focal lengths incorrectly rather than explain the definition of field of view. Telephoto effect/compression is another, there is no such thing but it is easier to introduce that meme and then teach it rather than explain perspective.

Now back in the day before on sensor electronics were refined to the efficient and size level they have been, and back sensor illumination was a thing, and gapless micro lens technology that focused nearly 100% of the light hitting the sensor area down into the actual photosensors regardless of the electronics also on the face of that sensor there was some truth to the idea that fewer pixels on the same area had less noise. But those improvements have been made and the light gathering efficiency of the sensors regardless of the pixel density is so close to optimal there is practically no visual difference in noise in same sized output.

Certainly I haven’t seen a difference big enough to get different pixel density cameras to cover different uses and I personally compared the 1DS MkIII and the 7D a million years ago! Since that era I haven’t seen pixel density/noise differences that can’t be post processed away, and despite my many postings illustrating that point with copious links and actual images and downloadable files I have never had anybody refute it with actual images. And I am certain that will be the case with the R5 and R6.

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
What keeps you from buying it?
Grant Petty staging a camera update stream in little under 30 min from now.
Unless he reveals something even more stunning like he often does, my
order is out tomorrow.

Is it the weight? Or the size? Or the power consumption?
Unless you film handheld, a full rig with a DSLR/DSLM and battery eliminator
plus V-lock battery, field monitor and audio interface isn't any smaller at all.

BTW, it's not quite the same price.
In the end it is. Many things that require accessories on a DSLR/DSLM
come onboard the URSA out of the box.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
a) The demise of print and the rise of online advertising leads to more "moving" content.
b) No more trade fairs. Companies used to be there to be visible. Now they need to be online with streams, webinars, Q&As to remain visible. CEO with seven branch offices, can't go to all seven xmas parties. Records video address or streams live to one after the other or all at once. Another CEO unwilling to travel to a country where he has safety concerns. Video address via Youtube. Audience reaction via return channel blasted against the studio back wall with a beamer. Anything that enhances experience and replaces in person contacts.
Thank you, I appreciate the candid response. I don't think I would have considered all of those situations.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Not everything is about streaming and video.

That's why I initially had the R5 on pre-order. Using a multitalent
would have been nice to have.

The R5 is a stills camera too and needs to have plenty of other
features including high resolution sensor and IBIS. Without those
overheating would not be a problem.

I remember well how I've been laughed at when I stated that IBIS
would cause massive heat problems, and that I'd rather have
the option to buy a camera without IBIS - even at a higher price.

Besides, 4K 30p and full HD does not overheating.
FHD also doesn't do more than 60fps, and neither 4k nor FHD offer RAW.
That's what I mean by don't worry about the icing if you fail at the cake
already.

Or everything is useless if shoots less than 1 hour?

I have yet to see a video production that requires less than
20 minutes operating time from the A-roll camera.
Remember: Framing, checking exposure, color control is
all counting into operating time already.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

In fairness Canon has never positioned this camera as A-roll for a professional "video production." They would tell you to buy their cinema cameras and if you want the R5 for B footage...maybe a little 4k 120p or 8k, or maybe a crash scene...then it 'fits into the workflow' with excellent IQ and C-log.

The complaints about overheating are coming from people who really should know better and should be looking at dedicated cinema cameras, and from people who will never push an R5 to its limits but who like to complain in our click bait social media age. For the people these cameras (R5 and R6) are aimed at, the video specs are outstanding. It wasn't that long ago that vloggers were saying the 8k would be a time lapse feature because '8k can't be done at this size/price point yet.' Now these same vloggers are whining that it can 'only' do 8k for 20m?

If I remember correctly, the 5D mark II at launch had a file sized imposed limit of 12m for 1080p footage. And there were even potential overheating issues depending on ambient conditions. Yet several high end Hollywood productions used the 5D mark II, including the TV show House for at least one entire episode.

There will always be people who complain, and people who get it done regardless. I guarantee you that somewhere out there a team of enthusiasts is planning a short length 8k film that will be shot on the R5, just to say they did it. The 20m limit won't stop them any more then it will stop pros from slipping the R5 into their workflow where appropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Remember: Framing, checking exposure, color control is
all counting into operating time already.

You're not recording when you're pre-roll checks like framing, color, exposure, etc... Therefore the camera will run all day long, or until the battery runs out. It's the active RECORDING that generates the heat. We know this factually because it's the same case with existing cameras (DSLR and MILC) when in video mode. Simply monitoring the sensor via EVF or Liveview screen takes comparably little processing power. Review my earlier posts in this very forum regarding heat and power consumption and where the vast majority of that comes from.

• Love
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
So you cannot answer my question. You do not know and neither does anyone else. This camera is not predictable and not reliable.
I showed you that the Camera will tell you how long it will record. It will even take into account the temperature, what recording modes you use. That's far more useful than any other camera with heat management issues. It's worrisome that you need to check a forum to figure out how long the camera will run for specific use cases.

Upvote 0
Here you go here is a dedicated video camera for all those moaning about the R5 /R6 , OMG I cant believe it its $5000 and doesn't take photos lol

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Here you go here is a dedicated video camera for all those moaning about the R5 /R6 , OMG I cant believe it its $5000 and doesn't take photos lol

Yes, you just found the best tool for them. 12K in 60fps, 110 fps in 8K and up to 220 fps in 4K Super 16. It costs only 10K
I laughed when I saw it. That is slow motion beast. Gazelle and tigers won't be fast any longer.
Enough complains guys, instead of buying two R5 and swap them one with the other to avoid overheating, just buy this beast and you are set for good.

Upvote 0
I guess photographers are happy, as there really is no hardware added to these cameras for video. Also, software is essentially free, as the same components can be used in cinema line cameras. A minor integration excercise and measuring and documenting the limits for overheating and that is all. Just as with the 5D mk 2, video is a practically free bonus.

Upvote 0
I do wonder how you would get 4k or FHD RAW out of a 45 M pixel sensor, especially full frame. Which Bayer array pixels and lines would you skip, and would you call that RAW? Or would you be happy with a really heavy crop?

R6 probably could do 4k RAW with an almost manageable crop, though.

FHD also doesn't do more than 60fps, and neither 4k nor FHD offer RAW.
That's what I mean by don't worry about the icing if you fail at the cake
already.

Upvote 0