Canon Speedlite EL-1 information leaks out ahead of the official announcement

Jan 29, 2011
Hopefully next macro light will use this battery pack as this speedlight.

Edit: with built in fan dont this light will be weather sealed which will restrict outdoor use but for indoor shooting a perfect light. For outdoor/harsh environments 600ex-RT might still be better choice.
I don’t think so, it sounds like they have a sealed interior with a radiating surface that they then blow ambient air over.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
would've loved it if the max power output was a stop more and there would miraculously some way to use that AF infrared assist grid on the R5. For this price, big pass and might pick one up when I see a refurbished or second hand one for a nice price
AF assist grids work by illuminating red dots over the exact dot grid of a phase detection autofocus sensor, so an assist grid would do nothing for a dual pixel autofocus sensor in which every pixel is an autofocus point, since the dots would have to be over all of the pixels. Instead Canon explained that the new LED modeling light works as a focus assist for the R series, and from some of the videos it seems very effective and not nearly as distracting as the pulsing modeling light. It also seems to go very dim to not be as distracting in low light.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
So unfortunately I guess Canon saw that with the Profoto A1, people were willing to pay $1000 for a flash :( Unfortunate because I see this as a big update over my 600EX-RT, but will definitely try one out through Canon CPS and see if I decide it's worth the investment. I'm sure the pandemic may have upped the price with how delayed this thing was anyway.

Battery confuses me a little--to me it looks like it's exactly a LP-E6? It also says the LP-E6 can't be used with the flash, but I don't see anywhere that the flash battery can't be used with a camera? :unsure: I'm also 100% sure that I'll confuse the two battery types.

Nice that it includes the LP-E6 charger. I already have 3 but it I do enjoy having more to be able to charge more camera batteries anyway.

In one video I was pretty pleasantly surprised by the output of the modeling lights, they seemed to be pretty effective and directional even inside of a softbox. Also seems like it will be a nice autofocus assist, since you can turn it on and off just by double tapping the shutter button.

Canon hasn't mentioned it yet, but I get the impression the modeling lights could work well for video in low light, especially since they have adjustable color temperature. 3 hours runtime is somewhat short, but would be fine with a few batteries for long events.

I still think the biggest single thing for me is the 1/8192 power level. I shoot a lot of low light and long exposure portraiture where often I end up avoiding flash altogether to be able to see ambient light. I can see this being super useful for F/1.2 portraits in low light where you just want to add a pop to the face of your subject and some catch light in the eyes. Previously I've used cellphone flashlights on low power for some of these uses, but a flash in a softbox or umbrella would he endlessly better. Even just the modeling light would work great for those uses.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Hopefully next macro light will use this battery pack as this speedlight.

Edit: with built in fan dont this light will be weather sealed which will restrict outdoor use but for indoor shooting a perfect light. For outdoor/harsh environments 600ex-RT might still be better choice.

One can seal fan/cooling ducts from the rest of internal areas. How do you think heat exchangers for nuclear reactors work?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
One can seal fan/cooling ducts from the rest of internal areas. How do you think heat exchangers for nuclear reactors work?
Heat exchangers in Nuclear reactors use heavy water to remove heat from core to external cooling ponds unlike have a fan recirculating heat in completely enclosed environment.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Heat exchangers in Nuclear reactors use heavy water to remove heat from core to external cooling ponds unlike have a fan recirculating heat in completely enclosed environment.

Or they use open chilling towers to cool the clean water. The point is, the dirty water is in a sealed system and the clean water is not, yet the heat in the dirty water is moved to the clean water through a heat exchanger that does not mix the two fluids. The interior of the camera that contains everything else can be sealed off from the interior part of the camera that uses some form of fan and vents to force heat out of the system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0