Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
While both bodies are exciting those 2 lenses(esp 55-210) are underwhelming at best.
One argument I saw was that the improved digital processing capability will make up for the higher f-stop ranges by eliminating more noise at higher ISO levels. It will be interesting to see a comparison of the results one gets with an M50 and its two kit zooms vs. the R50 and its new lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The rumor seems pretty clear that it's US $1499.
I should have worded my original post better, I should have said I hope the officially announced price is the same as the RP when that was released. I was thinking the rumored price of US $1499 might not be 100% accurate since it's still a rumor at this stage. But US $1499 does make sense since according to Wikipedia the RP was US $1299 at release.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Two days...we'll have to wait and see. Maybe we'll get as surprise. I just bought and M6II during the pre-holiday refurb closeouts, so no immediate need for an R50. However I am interested to see how it looks. If I ever need to replace the M6II it'll be years down the road and this will be (presumably) the first of the replacement M line in the RF system, it will be interesting to see how closely they compare.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
While both bodies are exciting those 2 lenses(esp 55-210) are underwhelming at best.
You and I (and most others here) like big and heavy glass.
But it seems that both lenses are aimed at people, that prefer tiny lenses, if any at all.
Or for people that prefer deep DOF in all photos ;)
We'll see how they sell.
And you and I are not forced to buy, aren't we? :cool:

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I did not know about that but it makes sense.
As long as I can still get a camera I want in black or black and silver camera I am not complaining ^^
I sincerely hope that any silver/metal accents are actual metal, not grey plastic. It's hard to make fake-metal-plastic not look cheap.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
You and I (and most others here) like big and heavy glass.
But it seems that both lenses are aimed at people, that prefer tiny lenses, if any at all.
Or for people that prefer deep DOF in all photos ;)
We'll see how they sell.
And you and I are not forced to buy, aren't we? :cool:
Given there is a 2 lens kit rumoured for entry level RF crop bodies, atleast the 55-210mm will be selling just as well as EF-S 55-250mm. Personally I would get either of those 2 bodies with 16mm 2.8 and Venus Laowa 85mm 5.6 Macro as a walk around macro kit.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I am a little puzzled why Canon does not release R8 with RF 24-105mm STM kit set.
This indicates to me that Canon wants to provide R8 as a "small package" with "small" lenses. And that the RF 24-105mm STM does not fit into that size scheme. Maybe I'll be proven wrong on Wednesday.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Given there is a 2 lens kit rumoured for entry level RF crop bodies, atleast the 55-210mm will be selling just as well as EF-S 55-250mm. Personally I would get either of those 2 bodies with 16mm 2.8 and Venus Laowa 85mm 5.6 Macro as a walk around macro kit.
Good idea. But if the R8 is really FF, maybe I'd prefer a 28, 35 or 50 mm lens for that. 16 are too wide for me.

Upvote 0