Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015
Given there is a 2 lens kit rumoured for entry level RF crop bodies, atleast the 55-210mm will be selling just as well as EF-S 55-250mm. Personally I would get either of those 2 bodies with 16mm 2.8 and Venus Laowa 85mm 5.6 Macro as a walk around macro kit.
It sounds like they are porting a slightly longer version of the 55-200 ef-m rather than the EF-s. That saddens me as I had both and liked and kept just the 55-250 on an adapter for super light walk around m6 with 100-400 equivalence, but the mirror less design will probably be smaller, and more importantly, EF-M lenses can't be adapted to R, but people like me who like the 55-250 STM can just .. keep them

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Why not taking portraits of poisonous snakes with the 16mm???

:)
You mean venomous(there are only handful of species of snakes that are poisonus ie you get ill if you lick them), and yes herpers do take up closeups of venomous snakes with ultra wide lenses(though background are extremely important in these closeups). Depending on need I do have a aluminium shield to protect my hand when working in venomous snakes(also depends on snakes mood at the time as to how close I will get).
Here is link to photos of Australian herper(Adam Brice) who uses 15mm Macro and EF-S 60mm Macro for herp photography.

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Dang.
Also the alternative color better not be white, those cameras look like ass IMHO :cool:

Other than that I hope the R50 has two dials, otherwise I think I would have to go for the R10 instead.
It will likely be white as that is a popular color with amateur Japanese lady photographers and both of these cameras (particularly the R50) will be in their wheelhouse.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
As an early valentines day, looks like Canon will give us Vlogging day -- two new bodies without evf.

Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the RP and R will not get a replacement. The way the R line is settling out: if you want to move forward from the RP with a FF camera with EVF you will receive a percussive sublimation to the R6II price level. Anything lower will be covered by aps-c stuff and a evf-less vlogger in FF a la the R8.

So as an RP user I'm not feeling real thrilled right now. On the bright side, yeah, I get to keep my money.

Of course, this is just last minute pre-announcement apprehension; hopefully things will play out differently.

Upvote 0
As an early valentines day, looks like Canon will give us Vlogging day -- two new bodies without evf.

Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the RP and R will not get a replacement. The way the R line is settling out: if you want to move forward from the RP with a FF camera with EVF you will receive a percussive sublimation to the R6II price level. Anything lower will be covered by aps-c stuff and a evf-less vlogger in FF a la the R8.

So as an RP user I'm not feeling real thrilled right now. On the bright side, yeah, I get to keep my money.

Of course, this is just last minute pre-announcement apprehension; hopefully things will play out differently.
I'm hoping that the R8 is the RP replacement with an EVF, if it doesn't have the EVF then I might get a used RP.

Upvote 0
Well, Nikon has released a pancake 26/2.8 lens and it is basically the same weight and length as the EOS R mount adapter albeit considerably more expensive.
Surely Canon could do something similar! Adapting the (now unavailable) EF40mm doubles the weight/size and cost which doesn't make a lot of sense.

I recall the initial days of MILC where they promised very small systems but the full frame lenses haven't lived up to that promise.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Don't forget that the original and extremely good R6 is still available, and is likely to remain in stock at significantly reduced prices for a few months yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
A lot of people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the R8 won't have an EVF, just because the EVF specs weren't listed in the rumor and the body might have a unique style. I stated this before, and I still stand by it...I really do not think Canon will omit an EVF from any "single digit" R camera. Stay positive...there's a good chance you'll get what you're hoping for.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
A lot of people seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the R8 won't have an EVF, just because the EVF specs weren't listed in the rumor and the body might have a unique style. I stated this before, and I still stand by it...I really do not think Canon will omit an EVF from any "single digit" R camera. Stay positive...there's a good chance you'll get what you're hoping for.
I do not believe those are the real specs but the weight leads to the conclusion that there will not be an EVF.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I do not believe those are the real specs but the weight leads to the conclusion that there will not be an EVF.
Why do you believe that? The EOS RP has an EVF and a weight of 440 g body only, 485 g with battery and SD card. The rumored spec for the R8 is 461 g, with no indication of whether that's body only or the CIPA weight including battery/card.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why do you believe that? The EOS RP has an EVF and a weight of 440 g body only, 485 g with battery and SD card. The rumored spec for the R8 is 461 g, with no indication of whether that's body only or the CIPA weight including battery/card.
It is not that I do not find them to be plausible.
I do not trust the source.

Upvote 0