Canon to release a 100mp EOS R system camera next year [CR2]

Lol. So many people say they want this 100mp camera but haven't thought about the computer side of this. My 2017 MacBook Pro already shows a significant slow down using 45mp R5 raw files vs my 30mp R raw files. I wouldn't want to have to push 100mp images through this. I guess if you were just working on a suped up Mac Pro (starting at $6000) you probably wouldn't flinch.
The camera isn't for me (my R5 is plenty enough) but I don't think that a R5s will need 20fps eshutter on it either for most use cases. The 5DSR has been used for birding etc but wasn't its primary audience.
My 2013 specced up MBP is much slower now with R5 files vs 5Div files... just waiting for the new 16" MBP/M1 chipset to be released before upgrading and it should fly :)
It will be interesting to see the Geekbench comparison with the new MBPs vs Mac Pro. The M1 mini etc is not too shabby!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My point was that pixel size does not determine DR. I would guess that ADC architecture does, and Canon is not going to back to the ADC architecture they had prior to new bodies like the 5D mark IV, R, and now R5.
It does, but correlation between pixel size and DR isn't simple. The size of the pixel affects well capacity, but there's a number of other factors.

Upvote 0
Lol. So many people say they want this 100mp camera but haven't thought about the computer side of this. My 2017 MacBook Pro already shows a significant slow down using 45mp R5 raw files vs my 30mp R raw files. I wouldn't want to have to push 100mp images through this. I guess if you were just working on a suped up Mac Pro (starting at $6000) you probably wouldn't flinch.
I'm still using a 2015 PC to edit Fuji GFX 100 files and much larger 5Dsr panoramas and it still gets the job done. At the time I paid about 2400eur for the machine. Which is significantly less than I spent on other equipement, even though the PC is the machine that spends the most time running. Sooo... I don't really see a problem a problem if a 2022 camera will have 100MP.
And I asodon't see a problem in getting a new 2000$ computer in 2022 that will handle those files with ease.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It will reduce the need to focus stack macro shots. Back the camera up giving yourself more depth of field and then crop in. That alone would make it worth while fore me. As for being designed for studio and landscape photographers it is hard to think of two more diametrically opposed gropus of photographers. If I am shooting landscape I want weather sealing. In the studio not so much. If I am shooting landscape weight and size matters in the studio not so much. If I am shooting landscapes dynamic range is a huge factor. In the studio I light so it doesn't matter. About the only thing they have in common is they want more megapixels.
I was thinking the same thing after reading this. I do both studio and landscape - those are pretty much all I really do professionally as a photographer.

As a studio photographer, I’d prefer a larger body, perhaps something with the ability to mount portrait mode on a tripod natively (a super minor thing but details like this matter in the studio), etc. etc.

As a landscape photographer, I want a weather-sealed EOS RP body with a 100mp IBIS sensor. Not sure that is even possible yet, but it’s what I want.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
100+ MP is definitely doable and has been. Its the processing and autofocus that are the difficult factors. Dual pixel really requires 200 pixels, and if its quad pixel, 400. I doubt if a 120 MP sensor would have quad pixel, but it will happen. Does anyone remember when people argued that anything over 2 or 3 MP was impossible?
Why do you think pixel size makes AF difficult? Do not see that connection as we have not seen it in practice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
"... the equally loved and hated EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R."

What the heck?
Most 5DS/R reviews were quite negative. "Only for studio" was a popular claim. Curious, as it beat the "all-rounder" 5DIII in almost every aspect imaginable. Camera was also damaged because the original Adobe RAW profile was extremely poor leading to heavy clipping of whites and blacks - and thus a perceived lack of DR. Finally, reviewers did not understand the optical properties of handheld induced blur leading to claims that it was more difficult to hand hold the 5DS/R than other cameras. Some of these misunderstandings linger.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
We are seeing another leap in processing power and storage speed right now - as reflected in the price of my AMD shares over the last year. :cool: 1.600$ home build and you are flying. No problem. ;)

Upvote 0
I'm still using a 2015 PC to edit Fuji GFX 100 files and much larger 5Dsr panoramas and it still gets the job done. At the time I paid about 2400eur for the machine. Which is significantly less than I spent on other equipement, even though the PC is the machine that spends the most time running. Sooo... I don't really see a problem a problem if a 2022 camera will have 100MP.
And I asodon't see a problem in getting a new 2000$ computer in 2022 that will handle those files with ease.
Same here, edit my GFX100 files on my old 2013 year laptop (4cores, 32gb RAM + Geforce 780m card) using Capture One and Affinity Photo and all runs smooth and fast, almost instantly. DXO Photolab also has no issues processing them, only Deep Prime NR is very slow as it requires more recent graphic card - not supporting very old 780m and thus using CPU instead. To run smooth and fast one needs al least 32gb RAM, when I open GFX100 file in Capture One and start edit it then memory utilization jumps up to 17gb, sometimes to 20gb. I always keep task manager open to see hardware recources utilization. Affinity Photo uses twice less memory but very fast - it using both graphics cards - one intel on motherboard and discrete Ndivia 780M.
So any up-to-date laptop or desktop with 32gb RAM will be able to process files from rumored Canon 100mpx camera smooth and fast.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Why? Sorry the returns are greatly dimninished as we've seen with the Sony A7RIV. With the Fuji GFX prices being so good, just get MF if you really need 100MP. With the new AI software around it's easy to get superb upressed results that you can't tell aren't native. I'm regularly using Topaz AI gigapixel for 10-40% upscale on my bird shots. If the source material is good the output looks fantastic. You could easily turn a 45MP landscape shot ifrom the R5 into a 90MP shot that. looks just as good. Haven't tried Adobe's new software yet. I think the current 45-50MP is more than enough for 35mm sensor.
Agree here. Putting more megapixels on FF sensor do not add much benefits. For 100mpx it is better go with larger than FF formats. GFX100 overall image quality is noticeably better than from Sony a7riv despite the fact that the pixel pitch is the same. GF lens IQ for GFX system is outstanding. IBIS on GFX is also amazing - better than on a7rIV . And new GFX100s price is very competitive. And this system is not that slow as many think - it can shoot 5fps and setting performace to AF and selecting propers AF mode ( almost exact same as on Canon 1DX line) and using fast AF lenses with linear focus motors (similar to latest Sony linear AF motors), they have LM in the name - e.g. GF45-100mm F4.0 R LM WR OIS . With that GFX100 can shoot moderately fast moving objects - I did for fashion shoots with relatively fast moving models and was surprised first time with the results. I even think now to sell my Sony a7rIV just to fund A1 - 50mpx is more than enough when extreme fast AF with high precision is required - especially for low light fast action using extreemly fast AF 50mmf1.2 GM.
I am not sure how well rumored Canon FF 100mpx camera would compete with new GFX100s for scenarious where there is no fast action, there also rumors that there will be even less expensive MF camera from Fuji. But for people shooting birds and espesialy BIF using Canon system this probably could be the best camera choice considering fast AF and lens choice, depending on high ISO performance, especially noise in shadows, but here is DXO Deep Prime NR is a best friend

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Strange, I haven't seen this with mine at all. There's noticeable color fringing in OOF areas but this is true of every fast lens shooting wide open. CA at the plane of focus is very well controlled. Your lens might need service.
No service needed. I'm speaking about the specific condition of bright daytime backlight. In the shade/overcast, or when the sun is low, no problem. Purple everywhere, otherwise. While fringing may be a problem for a lot of fast lenses, it is not true of all. Specifically the lenses with Canon's BR element: EF 35mm f/1.4L II, and the RF 85mm f/1.2L.

Upvote 0
This news make sense, I suppose Canon is testing (at least) two High Resolution sensors, one with roughtly 100MP and the other with 115MP and this is why, Canon lovers 8K :) but 12K is good too ;) and both resolutions can be used for the first 12K FF mirrorless camera, but once cropped at 1.6X (the "standard" for Canon) it will be a perfect 8K resolution, DCI-8K(8192p) for a 115MP sensor and TV-8K(7680p) with a 100MP sensor, both perfect for existing Canon APS-C camera lenses and also the Super35mm Cinema glasses, this way the wafer used for cutting FF sensors could also be used for a future R7 APS-C camera, with 39MP or 45MP.

Canon already makes 32.5MP crop cameras, the jump to 39MP is not that big, but 45MP could be also possible, DIGIC X has no problem with the R5 and it will probably be also used in the future R7.

AA filter should and proably will be used, Canon uses the hig-res low pass, it is a four-layer low pass filter that provides 16-point separation available first in the EOS-1D X Mark III and now also in the R5, with the ability of reducing moiré without a huge impacting in resolution.

Canon could use this filter or even something better, other camera maker aren't that much experienced with low pass filters and prefer to do without, at the very high risk of false colors generated with images containing high frequency patterns.

Canon the only time did without a low pass filter in the 5Dsr also offered the alternative with the 5Ds, there is no need to avoid the AA filter once you have 120MP or 100MP there is already plenty of resolution, the advantages of having a good AA are much more than the disadvantages. moreover, while undocumented, I think a camera without a good low pass filter will negatively impact the capabilities of Canon dual or quad pixel AF, as false colors could potentially mislead the AF algorithms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Camera was also damaged because the original Adobe RAW profile was extremely poor leading to heavy clipping of whites and blacks - and thus a perceived lack of DR..
So true. Adobe did the same thing with the same version of the M3 raws.

It's worth noting that DPReview still have the 5DS/r raw images from the original, ridiculous Adobe profile on their camera comparison tool. If you want to use that tool to assess the 5DS against other cameras it is important to download the raws and convert them yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Are you sure about that? This is what Canon's Rudy Winston says about dual pixel autofocus:

That doesn't sound like double the number of pixels to me.
This comes from the confusion of what one would call a 'pixel'. Rudy counts 1 microlens as a pixel, regardless of how many diodes are underneath it. With DPAF you get 2 diodes per microlens, the DIGIC reads both of them to do AF. If you enable DP-RAW, it will store both values as well. So for every shot the camera needs to process all diodes. So on a 100MP DPAF sensor, that would be 200M diodes, a QPAF sensor would have 400M diodes. It does't really matter what you'd call them, diodes or pixels, the DIGIC still has to read and process all of them.
I suspect Canon doesn't call them pixels because they don't add resolution to the resulting image since they share the same microlens.

Upvote 0