Canon to Release Major Updates to DPP & EOS Utility

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/06/canon-to-release-major-updates-to-dpp-eos-utility/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/06/canon-to-release-major-updates-to-dpp-eos-utility/">Tweet</a></div>
<p><b style="color: #222222;">DPP 4.0</b><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;">Canon developed the upgraded DPP 4.0 software for the editing of RAW images in response to the needs of professional and advanced-amateur users. The software delivers improved workflow efficiency for photographers who edit large numbers of images at an advanced level, helping them to achieve the key concepts of the EOS series of interchangeable-lens cameras: speed, ease of use and high image quality.</span><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;"> </span><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;">The new software improves on the previous version in such areas as an expanded adjustment range for highlights and shadows as well as enhanced basic functions. Providing users with more freedom when adjusting images, DPP 4.0 includes such new functions as 8-axis color gamut adjustment and an Auto function that automatically analyses the brightness and darkness balance of a histogram and adjusts the tones, or luminance, of an image accordingly. </span><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;"> </span><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;">The new version of Canon’s DPP software delivers greatly enhanced operability and convenience during the image editing process. In addition to featuring an updated graphical user interface (GUI), the software is capable of displaying as many as 10,000 image thumbnails at one time. Further contributing to ease of use, the software lets users not only view selected images for comparison even in the preview window, but also assign ratings to images.</span><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;"> </span><br style="color: #222222;" /><b style="color: #222222;">EOS Utility 3.0</b><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;">Canon’s new upgraded EU 3.0 allows users to connect a camera to a computer via a USB connection or Wireless File Transmitter in order to remotely perform camera settings, transfer images and capture images. Delivering even greater workflow efficiency, EU 3.0 easily integrates with DPP 4.0 to allow users to select and compare images, enabling them to more easily choose the best shot, as well as make slight adjustments to camera settings and reshoot scenes.</span><br style="color: #222222;" /><span style="color: #222222;"> </span><br style="color: #222222;" /><b style="color: #222222;">Pricing and availability

</b>DPP 4.0 and EU 3.0 come in late June, 2014 and will be a free download.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Re: Canon to Release Major Updates to DPP & EOS Utility

None too soon...I've thought for years that Canon did a much better job of making hardware. The software was kind of OK, the GUI looked OK but the real-world workflow functionality meant that Canon software has remained largely unused by busy professionals with evolved workflows.

Shooting tethered I do used EOS Utility...it looks like something out of the 1990's and has a number of baffling design points. Hopefully this will be tidied up into a good, functional tool.

Previous EOS Utility updates have played very badly with OSX updates. Let's hope that Canon & Apple are having compatibility conversations prior to the release of OS X Yosemite.

-pw

Upvote 0

blanddragon said:
bear said:
When will Canon finally support Linux with their products?

+1 Agreed

Until Adobe does it, I don't think anyone's going to get a clue.

I'm not saying they'll gain market share by integrating linux, however, I think like me or a few other people would build a Linux box for that reason. Windows 'workhorse' workstations have way too much overhead and garbage associated with them. Mac 'workhorse' workstations cost a metric fortune.

Upvote 0

Will they finally offer more than 5 or 6 levels of adjustment for each slider? Yes, you can use curves, but not for everything. I still think Leica's approach of bundling LR with their cameras makes more sense, but obviously Canon has invested a lot in DPP.

OTOH, I am interested to see what they do with EOS Utility.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

Canon Rumors said:
The software delivers improved workflow efficiency for photographers who edit large numbers of images at an advanced level, helping them to achieve the key concepts of the EOS series of interchangeable-lens cameras: speed, ease of use and high image quality.
Sounds interesting and promissing.
But I am a little bit afraid to use the first release version...

Upvote 0

JRPhotos

5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
Jan 19, 2014
Maine
www.jrogdenphotography.com

SwampYankee said:
Is anybody using DDP as their primary image adjustment tool? How does it compare to Lightroom?
thanks
I'd say that I use DPP 60% of the time some times more depending on the items I've photographed. I've found that the lens profile sharpening that they've introduced as well as the color balance tool is better than LR if I don't need to adjust different areas of the photo for different temperatures.

Upvote 0

JRPhotos

5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
Jan 19, 2014
Maine
www.jrogdenphotography.com

dilbert said:
wildpix said:
Where? I don't see it in the downloads section for the 6D or 7D on the Canon support site.

dilbert said:
DPP 4.0 is available for download now.

It is there if you tell the website that you have a 5D Mark III...? Curious...
Not under the US page, what country are you set to on the site?

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com

JRPhotos said:
I'm looking forward to this but I'd REALLY love to see an update to ZoomBrowser; I detest ImageBrowser, I do not want to import photos to just view them. ZB did so many things with ease.

+1
I did not install ImageBrowser but continue to use ZB

Upvote 0

candyman said:
JRPhotos said:
I'm looking forward to this but I'd REALLY love to see an update to ZoomBrowser; I detest ImageBrowser, I do not want to import photos to just view them. ZB did so many things with ease.

+1
I did not install ImageBrowser but continue to use ZB
+2 - ZB is awesome & simple. IB is bloated and horrible. I ended up buying PhotoMechanic which is essentially ZB on steroids with metadata management, but man is IB awful - one of the worst applications I've ever had the misfortune to use.

Upvote 0