candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Re: Canon to Release Major Updates to DPP & EOS Utility

mackguyver said:
candyman said:
JRPhotos said:
I'm looking forward to this but I'd REALLY love to see an update to ZoomBrowser; I detest ImageBrowser, I do not want to import photos to just view them. ZB did so many things with ease.

+1
I did not install ImageBrowser but continue to use ZB
+2 - ZB is awesome & simple. IB is bloated and horrible. I ended up buying PhotoMechanic which is essentially ZB on steroids with metadata management, but man is IB awful - one of the worst applications I've ever had the misfortune to use.

I just took a look at a youtube promo. Looks very good. What makes it really better for you compared to Zoom Browser?

Upvote 0

dilbert said:
DPP 4.0 is available for download now.

According to the official site: それぞれ“DPP 4.0”、“EU 3.0”として2014年6月26日より無償提供を開始します。

So it will be 06/26/2014

※対応機種・・・EOS-1D C、EOS-1D X、EOS 5D Mark III、EOS 6D

And only the abovementioned models are supported.

Upvote 0

Starting to think he's full of it but will see... Here's the manual I found from the Philippines... Looks decent compared to previous versions.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300015460/01/dpp-4-0-00-w-im-en.pdf

cosmopotter said:
If it is there, why not say where? I checked US, Canada, Europe and Japan and it's not there. The closest I came was the Canadian site which has a PDF of the instruction manual.

Upvote 0

candyman said:
mackguyver said:
candyman said:
JRPhotos said:
I'm looking forward to this but I'd REALLY love to see an update to ZoomBrowser; I detest ImageBrowser, I do not want to import photos to just view them. ZB did so many things with ease.

+1
+2 - ZB is awesome & simple. IB is bloated and horrible. I ended up buying PhotoMechanic which is essentially ZB on steroids with metadata management, but man is IB awful - one of the worst applications I've ever had the misfortune to use.

I just took a look at a youtube promo. Looks very good. What makes it really better for you compared to Zoom Browser?
I initially bought Photomechanic when the local newspaper hired me to freelance. It's what they all use to tag & upload images, but alas, I'm still waiting for my first assignment a year after filling out my employment paperwork...

Anyways, it's rather expensive, but what I like about it is that I can rename my files, add IPTC metadata (which it manages very well), GPS coordinates (manually or imported from a GPS device), and more when I download photos. It downloads and generates thumbnails insanely fast and it's really easy to zip through them and flag the photos that you want to edit. You can do a number of things to the metadata as well (or XMP sidecars, as I have it set to) such as correcting time (if you forget to set the clock on your camera) and tons of other things. It then allows you to upload to just about any photo service (I use SmugMug) very quickly. It does just about everything except edit your photos, but it will open your photos in any editor you like. I also like that it doesn't make me use some proprietary catalog like LR - I can store them in folders (it will create them) and then I can use PhotoMechanic or Windows to search the metadata to find my files. The XMP sidecars are great, too, as the metadata ends up in final TIFFs, JPEGs, etc. that are exported from PhotoShop, LR, DxO, etc.

Unless you shoot a lot or are really into metadata management, it's probably not worth the money, but it's a pretty cool program.

Also, I almost forgot to mention the killer feature - if you shoot sports, it does automated caption replacement. I.e. you can create (or subscribe to services that create) text files that list all of the teams & players in a game. When you caption the photo, you simply put in "/18/" and PhotoMechanic replaces it with "Peyton Manning Denver Broncos (QB) #19" or whatever you put in the file. Needless to say that saves a ton of time, especially if you don't know the players. It can be used for other stuff, too.

For me, I set up my file naming and general metadata before I shoot. It's easy because I have all of my regular shooting locations & keywords saved. When I come home, I rename & add the metadata during download. I import & tag the GPS data from my Garmin, then I zip through the thumbnails and begin editing down my work. I rate them as 5-star or 3-star and then use the side-by-side comparison tool to narrow them down to all 5-stars. Once that's done, I caption those photos & add specific key words. I drag & drop them into DxO, edit them, and then upload the JPEGs through PhotoMechanic to SmugMug.

Upvote 0

IslanderMV

"life is for the birds"
May 1, 2012
www.bernierland.com

neuroanatomist said:
An updated GUI? Why, Canon, why? I love the current DPP workflow and GUI...it makes me nostalgic for the ease of use of programs like Wordstar (Ctrl-K-K-Y to save), and the understated graphic elegance of games like Pong and Breakout.

;)

Harrr ! ;D

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com

mackguyver said:
candyman said:
mackguyver said:
candyman said:
JRPhotos said:

+1

I initially bought Photomechanic when the local newspaper hired me to freelance. It's what they all use to tag & upload images, but alas, I'm still waiting for my first assignment a year after filling out my employment paperwork...

Anyways, it's rather expensive, but what I like about it is that I can rename my files, add IPTC metadata (which it manages very well), GPS coordinates (manually or imported from a GPS device), and more when I download photos. It downloads and generates thumbnails insanely fast and it's really easy to zip through them and flag the photos that you want to edit. You can do a number of things to the metadata as well (or XMP sidecars, as I have it set to) such as correcting time (if you forget to set the clock on your camera) and tons of other things. It then allows you to upload to just about any photo service (I use SmugMug) very quickly. It does just about everything except edit your photos, but it will open your photos in any editor you like. I also like that it doesn't make me use some proprietary catalog like LR - I can store them in folders (it will create them) and then I can use PhotoMechanic or Windows to search the metadata to find my files. The XMP sidecars are great, too, as the metadata ends up in final TIFFs, JPEGs, etc. that are exported from PhotoShop, LR, DxO, etc.

Unless you shoot a lot or are really into metadata management, it's probably not worth the money, but it's a pretty cool program.

Also, I almost forgot to mention the killer feature - if you shoot sports, it does automated caption replacement. I.e. you can create (or subscribe to services that create) text files that list all of the teams & players in a game. When you caption the photo, you simply put in "/18/" and PhotoMechanic replaces it with "Peyton Manning Denver Broncos (QB) #19" or whatever you put in the file. Needless to say that saves a ton of time, especially if you don't know the players. It can be used for other stuff, too.

For me, I set up my file naming and general metadata before I shoot. It's easy because I have all of my regular shooting locations & keywords saved. When I come home, I rename & add the metadata during download. I import & tag the GPS data from my Garmin, then I zip through the thumbnails and begin editing down my work. I rate them as 5-star or 3-star and then use the side-by-side comparison tool to narrow them down to all 5-stars. Once that's done, I caption those photos & add specific key words. I drag & drop them into DxO, edit them, and then upload the JPEGs through PhotoMechanic to SmugMug.

Thank you mackguyver for sharing your experience. I just downloaded a try-version. Noticed it is a 32-bit version and not 64-bit. I am going to explore it a bit more. It is pricy but not too expensive - single user 150 dollar

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

mackguyver said:
candyman said:
mackguyver said:
candyman said:
JRPhotos said:

+1

Just an aside. Lightroom allows you to make any folder structure you like on your HDD, and it isn't proprietary. Likewise any flagging, keywords, or even adjustments you make to a file can be saved along with that file in it's own sidecar file which is searchable by any program.

Lightroom takes a lot of the mechanics out of the photo storage equation for those that are not interested or can't be bothered, for those that are interested and want additional functionality it is there for the taking.

Upvote 0

JRPhotos

5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
Jan 19, 2014
Maine
www.jrogdenphotography.com

hkenneth said:
dilbert said:

According to the official site: それぞれ“DPP 4.0”、“EU 3.0”として2014年6月26日より無償提供を開始します。

So it will be 06/26/2014

I hope that''s not true... I want to use this with my 7D. Although I'm going to guess that the supported cameras are just for downloaded photos, if so, I don't care about that. I would think that I could still edit any Canon RAW photo in it.

I like the look of it so far, and it's 64bit which is great, here's a translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/software/dpp4.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://cweb.canon.jp/eos/software/dpp4.html%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DRuJ%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26channel%3Dsb

Upvote 0

I have been using Lightroom for photo adjustments and I like it very much. It has a synch feature whereupon I can apply the same changes for one photo to a selected group of photos. In a timelapse situation I will take 240 pictures for 8 seconds of video (15 sec interval, 30 frames per second). So the LR synch feature is huge for me.

That said, I don't know if DPP is better than LR for color correction. I have not used it very much given that I have LR. Perhaps someone can comment on actual results.

The other thing is that it would be great if Canon could create a video color grading and color correction utility. I use Sony Vegas Pro for video editing as well as DaVinci Resolve for color grading. Given that video is becoming a greater part of what Canon offers then being able to adjust video color would be a nice tool.

Upvote 0

Let's hope that is an incomplete list of supported camera's. It's got to be. If it's not, they better install this to a new folder and leave the old version in tact. I have been burned by Canon software updates in the past. I have an old G6 that worked with EOS Utility. Unfortunately, when I bought my 60D and installed the new tools, they overwrote the older version. Conveniently, the new version didn't recognize my G6 and the old version didn't recognize my 60D.

I still play with the G6 from time to time, doing time lapses during the day (no shutter to wear out). When I do, I have to install the old version of EOS Utility to a second computer. It works, put is a really poor solution on Canon's part.

I have several cameras that aren't on that list (5D Mark II, 7D, 60D, T2i, EOS-M). :mad:

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2014

JRPhotos said:
hkenneth said:
dilbert said:

So it will be 06/26/2014

I hope that''s not true... I want to use this with my 7D. Although I'm going to guess that the supported cameras are just for downloaded photos, if so, I don't care about that. I would think that I could still edit any Canon RAW photo in it.

I like the look of it so far, and it's 64bit which is great, here's a translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://cweb.canon.jp/eos/software/dpp4.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://cweb.canon.jp/eos/software/dpp4.html%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DRuJ%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26channel%3Dsb

In the manual under supported images it says:

Still Photos: RAW Images: Images in the Canon RAW format shot on supported cameras. Extension: .CR2

I'm not sure why Canon would care as long as it is a Canon RAW image but that's what is in the manual.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014

JRPhotos said:

The problem with Imagebrowser is that is crashes most of the time. I did manage to get it to work briefly at one point, but then they updated it again and it reverted to crashing. It is a useless piece of junk IMO.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
Just an aside. Lightroom allows you to make any folder structure you like on your HDD, and it isn't proprietary. Likewise any flagging, keywords, or even adjustments you make to a file can be saved along with that file in it's own sidecar file which is searchable by any program.

Lightroom takes a lot of the mechanics out of the photo storage equation for those that are not interested or can't be bothered, for those that are interested and want additional functionality it is there for the taking.
Private, thanks for the information. I haven't used LR in a while, but many versions ago, I was under the impression that you had to use the catalog to make it work. I found that the thumbnails took forever to generate the the application itself was far slower than ACR in PhotoShop so I quit fooling with it. I hear it's much better now, but haven't tried it. I have the CC subscription, fortunately at academic pricing as I teach, so I might have to give it another try.

Upvote 0

JRPhotos

5D4, 24-105LII, 70-300L, 35 1.4II, 85L 1.2II, 100L
Jan 19, 2014
Maine
www.jrogdenphotography.com

ScubaX said:
JRPhotos said:
hkenneth said:
dilbert said:

So it will be 06/26/2014

In the manual under supported images it says:

Still Photos: RAW Images: Images in the Canon RAW format shot on supported cameras. Extension: .CR2

I'm not sure why Canon would care as long as it is a Canon RAW image but that's what is in the manual.

That's what I was thinking, I believe the model limitation is just importing, tethering, etc. I have many CR2 files from my XTi, 40D T4i and 7D. It would be a shame to be excluded.

Upvote 0