Canon to speak at IEDM about new sensor development

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
On December 13th, Canon will have a presentation at IEDM (International Electron Devices Meeting) on a new sensor that they have developed. Image-sensors-world first discovered this snippet; Canon will introduce a new twisted photodiode CIS structure – 6 µm pixel pitch – enabling all-directional autofocus for high speed and accuracy and 95 dB DR. Twisted

See full article...

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
If this is a quad pixel sensor, it's the Holy Grail that many posters have long been looking for. I take it, though, that unveiling it at a presentation like this means that it would be unlikely to be commercially available for inclusion next year in that other Grail: the R1?
I'm not sure - a global shutter on the R1 would make alot of sense though especially if the A9 III does indeed have one. Canon publishes a lot of sensor stuff at these kinds of shows and you hardly ever really see it in real life. So it's hard to say. It's like the patent applications - it tells you what Canon is researching.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm not sure - a global shutter on the R1 would make alot of sense though especially if the A9 III does indeed have one. Canon publishes a lot of sensor stuff at these kinds of shows and you hardly ever really see it in real life. So it's hard to say. It's like the patent applications - it tells you what Canon is researching.
Or they end up in specialized products, like the 2 million ISO sensor.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm not sure - a global shutter on the R1 would make alot of sense though especially if the A9 III does indeed have one.
It would be too late for Canon to react that fast.
The speed at which Sony churns out cameras and having a bunch of image sensors to choose from does put Sony at somewhat of an advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It would be too late for Canon to react that fast.
The speed at which Sony churns out cameras and having a bunch of image sensors to choose from does put Sony at somewhat of an advantage.
I think it was always the cost factor.

Sony can burn money and makes little margin from CMOS of their own cameras as their competitors are buying inferior CMOS from them at sizable income. And smartphone CMOS makes more money than dedicated cameras because of the sheer volume.

Canon on the other hand is just cameras and medical equipment. If Canon steps into the smartphone market by supplying smartphone manufacturers...maybe Canon can do what Sony does. burn money to grab the market share.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I think it was always the cost factor.

Sony can burn money and makes little margin from CMOS of their own cameras as their competitors are buying inferior CMOS from them at sizable income. And smartphone CMOS makes more money than dedicated cameras because of the sheer volume.

Canon on the other hand is just cameras and medical equipment. If Canon steps into the smartphone market by supplying smartphone manufacturers...maybe Canon can do what Sony does. burn money to grab the market share.
Canon is licensing from Metalenz to try to supply lenses to smartphones.
It is great tech so I hope it works out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I am pretty sure that Au isn't aluminum, it is Aurum, Gold in the periodic table. Because aluminum ist not a electronic cunductor, gold on the other hand is one. It would be great, if you could correct that!

Sorry to correct you, but both Gold (Aurum, Au) and Aluminum (Al) are electrical cunductors.
The Electrical Resistivity ρ (Rho) is as follows:
Au: 2,44 x 10−8 Ω·m, makes Gold the third-best electrical cunductor*
Al: 2,65 x 10−8 Ω·m, makes Aluminum the fourth-best electrical cunductor*

Silver (Argentum, Ag) is the best* and Copper (Cu) the second-best*, by the way.
*referring to standard metals at room temperature

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I am pretty sure that Au isn't aluminum, it is Aurum, Gold in the periodic table. Because aluminum ist not a electronic cunductor, gold on the other hand is one. It would be great, if you could correct that!
Agreed, Au is gold on the periodic table. But aluminum, Al, is a good conductor of electricity. That is why some houses in the US had aluminum wiring put in them. It turned out to be a bad decision.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
The A9 III has a global shutter. We’ll see what kind of shutter Canon wil put in the R1.
Or, as I speculate that if Canon got caught flat-footed, we will see the introduction of R3 II instead of R1.

Bad news already that the supposed R1 won't have quad pixel AF. If they do not come out with global shutter or at least a stacked sensor so fast that it can compete with Sony, then Canon will really start to heavily cede the pro sports marketshare.

Credit given when it's due, the A9 III really seems like a game changer.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah...I'd be willing to put some money down on the R3 II coming out 2024.....R1 officially pushed back for a global sensor.
Or, as I speculate that if Canon got caught flat-footed, we will see the introduction of R3 II instead of R1.

Bad news already that the supposed R1 won't have quad pixel AF. If they do not come out with global shutter or at least a stacked sensor so fast that it can compete with Sony, then Canon will really start to heavily cede the pro sports marketshare.

Credit given when it's due, the A9 III really seems like a game changer.
At this point, I'd be willing to put down a few buck that there may be an unexpected R3 II release in 2024....coinciding with the R1 being pushed back for release for a year or so more....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why was it a bad decision?
Aluminum has a relatively high coefficient of thermal expansion. For example, it's 35% higher than copper. Doesn't sound like much, but that's a linear coefficient, meaning for a volume the values are cubed. That means that as current is passed and the wiring heats up aluminum expands more, and when the current stops it contracts more. More expansion and contraction means over time, connections are more prone to loosening, resulting in more likelihood of electrical short circuits.

TL;DR:

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 2.59.20 PM.png = Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 3.00.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 2.59.07 PM.png = Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 3.00.22 PM.png

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0