Canon to speak at IEDM about new sensor development

Aug 10, 2021
Or, as I speculate that if Canon got caught flat-footed, we will see the introduction of R3 II instead of R1.

Bad news already that the supposed R1 won't have quad pixel AF. If they do not come out with global shutter or at least a stacked sensor so fast that it can compete with Sony, then Canon will really start to heavily cede the pro sports marketshare.

Credit given when it's due, the A9 III really seems like a game changer.
I'm not convinced that many would simply switch. My reasoning is these pros were getting great photos before and while technological improvements should make it easier to get shots, it's unlikely to have much change for them.

I imagine the people who would be willing to switch are amateurs who have money to burn. At least some of those people already have bought into more than one manufacturer's line. So, I'm skeptical about a big effect in regards to market share

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Aluminum has a relatively high coefficient of thermal expansion. For example, it's 35% higher than copper. Doesn't sound like much, but that's a linear coefficient, meaning for a volume the values are cubed. That means that as current is passed and the wiring heats up aluminum expands more, and when the current stops it contracts more. More expansion and contraction means over time, connections are more prone to loosening, resulting in more likelihood of electrical short circuits.

TL;DR:

View attachment 212792 = View attachment 212793

View attachment 212791 = View attachment 212794
I was afraid it was going to be something like that.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
I'm not convinced that many would simply switch. My reasoning is these pros were getting great photos before and while technological improvements should make it easier to get shots, it's unlikely to have much change for them.

I imagine the people who would be willing to switch are amateurs who have money to burn. At least some of those people already have bought into more than one manufacturer's line. So, I'm skeptical about a big effect in regards to market share
The key is starting to cede its sports dominance. No doubt each news agency/freelancer is somewhat entrenched in their respective camera systems; however, this may be the camera to give them pause and consider alternatives to the usual in their upgrade cycle. $14500 for a new R3 + 100-300mm or $14800 for a A9iii + 70-200 + 300mm. The former has a bit more convenience on one lens range while latter has weight advantage. Also latter has 120fps precapture, no flicker, no bat/club wobbles, and essentially unlimited flash sync. Of course, it will all boil down to what Canon has in store for us as the ball has been hit hard now in team red's court.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Or, as I speculate that if Canon got caught flat-footed, we will see the introduction of R3 II instead of R1.

Bad news already that the supposed R1 won't have quad pixel AF. If they do not come out with global shutter or at least a stacked sensor so fast that it can compete with Sony, then Canon will really start to heavily cede the pro sports marketshare.

I think we are jumping to conclusion too quickly. a9iii CF A bottleneck is foreseeable, the DR and mid-high ISO performance is yet to review.

R3 was bashed and trash talked for low MP. Yet for those who are actually using it, they love the cam as it it has superior ergonomics over a1, lighter than Z9, editing 6K RAW is easier than 8K while maintain decent resolution for cropping. 24MP at 30fps with no hidden lens limitations(other than card speeds) is nice.
R3 was 4999USD. And if R3ii willing to price 4500USD instead. The "lack" of performance is easily justified.

IMHO R3ii without using global shutter but managed to achieve 1/500~1/600 flash sync speed will be enough to not favor global shutter.

The key is starting to cede its sports dominance. No doubt each news agency/freelancer is somewhat entrenched in their respective camera systems; however, this may be the camera to give them pause and consider alternatives to the usual in their upgrade cycle. $14500 for a new R3 + 100-300mm or $14800 for a A9iii + 70-200 + 300mm. The former has a bit more convenience on one lens range while latter has weight advantage. Also latter has 120fps precapture, no flicker, no bat/club wobbles, and essentially unlimited flash sync. Of course, it will all boil down to what Canon has in store for us as the ball has been hit hard now in team red's court.
Yeah, it's always about the overall system and how the pairing works. However I do think flash sync usage is overexaggerated by Sony promoters with the a9iii launch.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019

Yes, the A9iii seems like a game changer and kudos to Sony. Hopefully, it will drive the market faster. There are several unknowns with the A9iii which may/may not sway some users. DR/SNR are unknown and it’s difficult to say how the buffer will play out in real life. Quite candidly, the global shutter is a technological leap though it doesn’t suddenly obviate the already super bodies out there. While I suspect the greatest gains will be seen in videography, existing shutter R/O are so fast in the R3, Z8/Z9 that apart from golf and a few specialized circumstances rolling shutter is not much of an issue. The lack of flicker is an obvious advantage though again it’s not as though all of these cameras suddenly become obsolete or inoperable. In the end, I suspect that we’ll all win out as the technology trickles down to all manufacturers.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I feel confident if Canon wasn't already working on those things, they are now

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Yes, the A9iii seems like a game changer and kudos to Sony. Hopefully, it will drive the market faster. There are several unknowns with the A9iii which may/may not sway some users. DR/SNR are unknown and it’s difficult to say how the buffer will play out in real life. Quite candidly, the global shutter is a technological leap though it doesn’t suddenly obviate the already super bodies out there. While I suspect the greatest gains will be seen in videography, existing shutter R/O are so fast in the R3, Z8/Z9 that apart from golf and a few specialized circumstances rolling shutter is not much of an issue. The lack of flicker is an obvious advantage though again it’s not as though all of these cameras suddenly become obsolete or inoperable. In the end, I suspect that we’ll all win out as the technology trickles down to all manufacturers.
I am all for competition. This will hopefully put pressure on other camera bodies and get to the point that R3 becomes a $2500 body sooner. That or it pushes Canon to put the stacked sensor in a R6iii for the same price.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
I am all for competition. This will hopefully put pressure on other camera bodies and get to the point that R3 becomes a $2500 body sooner. That or it pushes Canon to put the stacked sensor in a R6iii for the same price.
Seems like everyone wants a R3 for cheap, don't think that will ever happen. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Canon on the other hand is just cameras and medical equipment.
You're missing a lot of what canon does, they are huge in security systems, office equipment (printers). And let's not forget they sell twice the consumer imaging market compared to Sony.

Sony may always release new tech but canon perfects it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
However I do think flash sync usage is overexaggerated by Sony promoters with the a9iii launch.
I look at it this way.
Anything over 1/16,000 seems pretty impractical without a flash.
Using a flash is a no-no for most sports so it would be for totally different applications.
BTW the few examples that we have so far at 1/16,000 look pretty terrible.
I do not think it would be fair to judge from a few examples but why wouldn't Sony want to show off good examples?
They seemed to have gone out of their way not to show us any.

• Wow
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The A9 III has a global shutter. We’ll see what kind of shutter Canon wil put in the R1.
Early images taken with the Sony A9III suggest that Sony did not solve the inherent global shutter issues… they merely ignored them. The A9III is a noise machine. No way Canon would have put that sensor in one of their cameras… much less a flagship.

• Wow
Upvote 0