Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Request for Samples

To all,

I'm still trying to figure out if I got a lemon. I have received it back from Canon repair, and they replaced the G3 assembly. It is much better than what it was but my Canon 24mm f/1.4L outperforms it from f/2.2 onward. I would consider my Canon 24mm f/1.4L lens to be average. Since I only have one other sample (a rental) of what the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens can do, I really have know idea what to expect of this lens. The rental was awesome. It was sharp throughout the field of view.

Would it be possible for the owners of this lens to send me high resolution images of a landscape or cityscape showing what this lens can do under the following conditions:

• Focused at infinity
  • Shift and tilt set to zero position
  • Camera level to ground (i.e. no tilt)
  • One image taken at f/4.0
  • Final image taken at f/8.0

You can send me E-mail privately or a link on this thread. Basically, all my images taken with this lens are somewhat soft near the center edges and progressively get worse in the corners. At this time, I would estimate the "sharp" area of coverage to be a 30mm circle around the center.

You can either post JPEG images of 100 percent crops of the center sides or privately E-mail me a high resolution JPEG full image. Please no masterpieces, just test shots that aren't worth a dime. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wade

Is very possible that you have a lemon. I went through quite a few before I got one that's better. Mine is actually slightly sharper in the corners than center...and equals the sharpness of my 17-40 and 24-105 in the center and obviously is much better in the corners, even when shifted. Very little if any distortion and very slight chroma in corners but often not noticeable...Its a difficult lens to fix as the technicians often don't have much experience or the latest software...where I live mine was the first one they ever worked on and they didn't even have the latest software...so I would make sure that I send it to a repair center that can handle such a complicated lens. Other send it back and ask for another one . Keep your original test images to compare...

Upvote 0
Ivan Muller said:
Is very possible that you have a lemon. I went through quite a few before I got one that's better. Mine is actually slightly sharper in the corners than center...and equals the sharpness of my 17-40 and 24-105 in the center and obviously is much better in the corners, even when shifted. Very little if any distortion and very slight chroma in corners but often not noticeable...Its a difficult lens to fix as the technicians often don't have much experience or the latest software...where I live mine was the first one they ever worked on and they didn't even have the latest software...so I would make sure that I send it to a repair center that can handle such a complicated lens. Other send it back and ask for another one . Keep your original test images to compare...

Ivan,

I really appreciate the information about your lens. This is very helpful. It seems Canon has poor quality control with this lens. The first lens I sent back because it was really bad. The second one I was unfortunately convinced by Canon repairs they could fix it. They have improved the quality of the images it produces, but it is still inferior to my Canon 24mm f/1.4L which is really sad. I should have purchased the one I rented. It was a really good copy. Hindsight is 20-20. :(

Would you be willing to share some examples?

Wade

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
wearle said:
To all,

I'm still trying to figure out if I got a lemon. I have received it back from Canon repair, and they replaced the G3 assembly. It is much better than what it was but my Canon 24mm f/1.4L outperforms it from f/2.2 onward. I would consider my Canon 24mm f/1.4L lens to be average. Since I only have one other sample (a rental) of what the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens can do, I really have know idea what to expect of this lens. The rental was awesome. It was sharp throughout the field of view.

Would it be possible for the owners of this lens to send me high resolution images of a landscape or cityscape showing what this lens can do under the following conditions:

• Focused at infinity
  • Shift and tilt set to zero position
  • Camera level to ground (i.e. no tilt)
  • One image taken at f/4.0
  • Final image taken at f/8.0

You can send me E-mail privately or a link on this thread. Basically, all my images taken with this lens are somewhat soft near the center edges and progressively get worse in the corners. At this time, I would estimate the "sharp" area of coverage to be a 30mm circle around the center.

You can either post JPEG images of 100 percent crops of the center sides or privately E-mail me a high resolution JPEG full image. Please no masterpieces, just test shots that aren't worth a dime. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wade

Dear Friend wade.
Yes, Every products in this world ---Start from the Design, and end of MFG. = Only perfected Products = 99%, and hope that ( From the MFG.'s Point ) only 1% defected product--Or Less than 1% of over all.
Yes, You may the lucky person who win the Lottos.
Sorry to hear that you might get the Lemon of This Awesome TS-E 24 mm MK II, BUT, I get the Good one 6-7 months ago, with no problem at all.
Good luck
Surapon

Attachments

• GC-5.jpg
    GC-5.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 572
  • GC-7.jpg
    GC-7.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 536
  • GC-8.jpg
    GC-8.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 529