Canon WFT-E8A Specifications

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
grainier said:
neuroanatomist said:
grainier said:
Yippee ki yay! On one, one, camera they provided stupid-*** roundabout way of transfer with a 12-step set up and additional software that needs to be installed.

Just one? Only one? Or maybe we're misinterpreting you again?? ::) ::) ::)

Sending images to a computer (Wi-Fi function) (EOS 70D)

So two. So what? It just makes it a double-stupid way. And learn no to speak for everyone.
I'll bet the 80D will make it 3......

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:
Wifi is ubiquitous this day and age. Kids toys have it, appliances have it, even my freaking front door lock has it and, yet, here we are with Canon asking us to pay 600 bucks for a damn dongle. What year is this?

Is that true everywhere Canon sells cameras?
For all except for a few oppressive regimes, true.

I saw WiFi enabled light bulbs in the store!!!!!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:
Wifi is ubiquitous this day and age. Kids toys have it, appliances have it, even my freaking front door lock has it and, yet, here we are with Canon asking us to pay 600 bucks for a damn dongle. What year is this?

Sure, I control my Christmas lights via WiFi and an iPhone app.

But yet there are (N) versions of the 6D and 70D and a non-RT version of the 600EX.

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:

Pretty much, yes. At the very least, in the vast majority of markets (if not all) they are targeting to 1D X II at. I find both the pricing and implementation of this laughable this day and age. I have a top of the line router (Netgear Nighthawk X6) that cost me half this price. My kids have toys that have built in wi-fi that cost less than a 10th of the price of this dongle. In this day and age, as a customer, my expectation is that this is built in out of the box at little additional incremental cost. Like I said, this functionality is almost literally ubiquitous across many markets. I get the product is geared towards pros but, as someone that use to do photography professionally and someone that still does a lot of photography, I have a hard time believing that pros wouldn't like to skip the dongle crap. My expectations are much higher than even getting rid of the dongle. At this stage, they should be innovating to just make wi-fi connections easier. Instead, he were are with same basic dongle we've had for several years.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or just be irritated. Probably both.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:

Sure, I control my Christmas lights via WiFi and an iPhone app.

But yet there are (N) versions of the 6D and 70D and a non-RT version of the 600EX.
This was each bulb is an independent wifi device... and you can get wifi fridges with sensors to detect when the milk is getting low....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Isurus said:
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:

Pretty much, yes. At the very least, in the vast majority of markets (if not all) they are targeting to 1D X II at. I find both the pricing and implementation of this laughable this day and age. I have a top of the line router (Netgear Nighthawk X6) that cost me half this price. My kids have toys that have built in wi-fi that cost less than a 10th of the price of this dongle. In this day and age, as a customer, my expectation is that this is built in out of the box at little additional incremental cost. Like I said, this functionality is almost literally ubiquitous across many markets. I get the product is geared towards pros but, as someone that use to do photography professionally and someone that still does a lot of photography, I have a hard time believing that pros wouldn't like to skip the dongle crap. My expectations are much higher than even getting rid of the dongle. At this stage, they should be innovating to just make wi-fi connections easier. Instead, he were are with same basic dongle we've had for several years.

I'm sure you're right. Silly Canon, making dSLRs and accessories where the same model is available both with and without WiFi for sale in certain geographies. I'm sure you know more about global regulations and marketing than Canon – you really should ring them up and educate them!!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:

I'm sure you're right. Silly Canon, making dSLRs and accessories where the same model is available both with and without WiFi for sale in certain geographies. I'm sure you know more about global regulations and marketing than Canon – you really should ring them up and educate them!!
when you figure that for $150 I can get an Intel Compute stick with a quad core processor that runs Windows 10, has a video output, 64G of storage, wifi, Bluetooth, usb...... the WFT is overpriced for what it does. I should try loading EOS Utility on one and see what happens..... and if you shoot 4K video on your brand new 1DX2, this wee beastie can process it (slowly :) ) and display it on a 4K display.

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:

Did they announce a 1D X II version with wifi? If they did, I missed it. I'm referring to that body, not anything else.

I'm not sure why you are being so sardonic and really can't understand why you are being the Canon defense force regarding this. It's just my point of view and one that has logic behind it. If you disagree, that is fine, but sardonic tone not needed. Also, curious, what are the global regulations preventing canon from outing wifi in the body of the camera? Your right, even as a product management director, I'm unaware of regulation hurdles that haven't already been overcome.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Isurus said:
Also, curious, what are the global regulations preventing canon from outing wifi in the body of the camera? Your right, even as a product management director, I'm unaware of regulation hurdles that haven't already been overcome.
There are a few countries, North Korea in particular, which do not like to have devices with WiFi within their borders.....On the other hand, how much of a market are these places and is Canon better off to just ignore them? (particularly since those who make the rules are the first ones to ignore them)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:
Did they announce a 1D X II version with wifi?

Of course not. Nor will they. Fact. Complaining and wishing won't change that.
I think the big surprise is the inclusion of GPS, given what we've heard in the past about military customers not wanting any radio emissions from the 1D series.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:

I think the big surprise is the inclusion of GPS, given what we've heard in the past about military customers not wanting any radio emissions from the 1D series.
GPS is a Rx only signal for most devices....

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
neuroanatomist said:
Isurus said:

Of course that won't change. This is a forum though... It's a place to voice opinions. I've directed nothing hostile to you, yet the cynicism continues.

Have you used a camera with wifi? It's very convenient when done properly. It's these type of user features that make a difference. Most interchangeable lens cameras these day take great pictures. For me and many other photographers I talk to, user experience and efficiency is huge. A feature like wifi makes the over all process quicker and easier. What's not to like? The fact that the D5 or other top tier camera doesn't offer it is irrelevant. They should! Innovation is happening fast then ever before and no company is safe. Those that push themselves, think differently, and take calculated risks will have a better chance of surviving. All markets are ripe for disruption.

I love my 1D X, as well as the other 1D bodies I've had, as they are very reliable,but innovation has been slow to come. Paying $600 for cheap as tech that is standard across a crazy amount of devices these days is not acceptable. At least they finally put GPS in the damn thing.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
grainier said:
No Canon wi-fi equipped DSLR will allow user to connect to a network, find a shared folder on computer and send files there.

You mean the SMB protocol, or something alike. It's more "chatty" (because of the discovery traffic, and not only), and more complex to setup, especially if you don't use Windows. And much more complex and dangerous to use if you're goin to use a remote server (not in the local LAN). FTP is ubiquitous simpler, faster, and works well across the Internet, although it may need more security to protect data in trasit, true. Unluckily FTPS uses SSL/TLS (like HTTPS), and thereby relis on digital certificates, while SFTP requires an SSH server (usually not available on Windows), making them both more complex to setup.

grainier said:
Similarly, you can't set up the camera to show up on your network as a simple storage device and sync it to your local folder.

Syncing requires a lot of bidirectional traffic - if you need to upload a lot of images quickly is not what you want. After all most of the time what you really need is sending what you shoot ASAP, not syncing between the camera and the computer. Also it will make your camera accessible from the network - is what you want?

grainier said:
Limited capability that there is only makes sense in a studio environment with camera bolted to a tripod and separate people operating camera and processing software.

IMHO these are the target of these devices. If you're going to shoot sport or fashion, the features are OK and the price not so much an issue. For other uses, i.e. posting pics on Instagram, probably too expensive and limited.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0