Canon will release an RF mount ‘vlogging’ camera in 2022 [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
I understand why they can’t adapt actual M series lenses to RF, but there’s no reason why these designs can’t be in a new lens body that would have an RF mount.
ICYMI, that's exactly what they did with the RF-S 18-150mm. Here's the EF-M 18-150 block diagram tinted magenta and dropped onto the RF-S 18-150 block diagram. Same glass in a different barrel with a different mount.

18-150.jpg

They could not do that with the EF-M 15-45mm, because while the 15mm wide end doesn't need to be retrofocal with the 18mm flange distance of the EF-M, it would need to be retrofocal with the 20mm flange distance of the RF mount (meaning the lens would need to be larger, heavier, more complex, and more expensive). Thus, they designed the RF-S 18-45mm lens instead.

They certainly can do what they did with the 18-150mm to the 11-22, 55-200, and the three EF-M primes.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm not an vlogger but I 've heard those Canon cameras are quite suitable for vlogging:

G5X MARK II
M6 II
M 200

Even three options without viewfinder! And at least one of it even has a fold up screen.

Which hybrid camera in the world has no flash but light?
Weren't features in the G7X Mark III intended for vloggers? Since I didn't need those features, and I liked some of the improvements in the G5X II, I bought it instead to replace my G7X II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
If Canon sell a great vlogging camera I can't imagine which one that would be. Not a single one of them has a good microphone setup, for instance. All of them have flashes as far as I can see (with none having a light), and all but one have EVFs which make them larger and heavier than needed. Very few have fold up screens, and most of them cut the video at 30 minutes.

Please, which is the great vlogging camera?
The Canon camera that is really popular with many vloggers/youtubers is the M50 with a EF-M 11-22mm f/4-f/5.6. Prior to that the G7XIII was really popular.
The Sony ZV-1 (24-70 equiv. f/1.8-2.8, 20.1MP stacked back illuminated 1" CMOS sensor, 4K 30 with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, 24fps continuous stills shooting with AF/AE tracking, human/animal eye AF) does much better video, and is more probably the preferred option these days if stills photography isn't a priority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
The Canon camera that is really popular with many vloggers/youtubers is the M50 with a EF-M 11-22mm f/4-f/5.6. Prior to that the G7XIII was really popular.
The Sony ZV-1 (24-70 equiv. f/1.8-2.8, 20.1MP stacked back illuminated 1" CMOS sensor, 4K 30 with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, 24fps continuous stills shooting with AF/AE tracking, human/animal eye AF) does much better video, and is more probably the preferred option these days if stills photography isn't a priority.
Is it the G7x-3 that is/was popular for vlogging or the G7x and G7x-2? I own the G7x and it would be my first choice for vlogging. But I've read some really nasty comments about the G7x-3 focusing.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
The G7x series were all popular with vloggers, and Canon tried to add more features that would be of interest to vloggers with each new version. The G7xII had a 20MP BSI CMOS sensor, DIGIC7 image processor and could do 1080/60 video and constant shooting speed (stills) of 8 fps, which was upgraded in the G7xII to a stacked 20MP BSI CMOS sensor, DIGIC8 image processor and 4K/30 video and constant shooting speed (stills) of 20 fps. The newer model got fast charging and livestream capability, and 3.5mm mic input, but like you said, they messed up something with the AF. It had issues with autofocus when shooting video if people were moving, it would lose them. They released a firmware update with an additional mode but many said it improved the AF a bit but didn't really fix the problem.

Upvote 0

illadvisedhammer

buggin out
CR Pro
Aug 19, 2015
Indeed... that plus the fact that holding the camera in various positions gives you more versatility in shooting.
You can be more discrete, more reactive and handle angles that aren't allowed when you're forced to put your eyes in a viewfinder and then, bring the rest of your head to the place (which can be impossible in many cases, especially when your surrounded by a crowd) :D ...
Stabilisation in gears can be also a good help of course in that kind of situation...
Two samples with M6 at arm's length
I don't want to pile on the original poster because wanting a viewfinder is a totally valid preference. I've always the original/6 form factor, and seldom use the add-on viewfinder, despite sometimes not seeing well in high light. I also wonder if the lack of EFCS problem, which is real, is partly due to lower stability with no head bracing. I get better shots using electronic shutter at middle shutter speeds, and that's a pain sometimes and not available in all modes, but still worth it to me for a smaller camera, and especially greater freedom to hold the camera at diverse heights and angles. I had a favorite uncle whose fondest photographic memories were using a Rollei TLR, and sometimes I'll flip up the screen and take a day from belly button height, which of course you can do with a viewfinder camera, so it comes down to size. If canon made a refreshed M with IBIS but lighter or the same weight as the current M6ii I'd buy it. I'll totally get an R 7iii when my 90D has started to flake. I'm concerned that the M6 is at the high end for 'travel-everyday-non-disruptive' camera, and that the compact R cameras will go past my own threshold. I'd get a 200 if it had full control dials. If they make an R-mount camera as small and light as the M6 I'd, well, wait until my M died and they had ported the 32 and 11-22, so, probably in 5 years.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I’m not a vlogger so I don‘t know how relevant my experience might be. About September, 2019, I considered replacing my G7X II travel camera before a fall trip. At the store I looked at the M50, but decided to stick with something pocketable. The Sony option didn’t appeal to me because they had opted to make the lens much slower to make a longer zoom, just the opposite of what I wanted for my travel pictures. As I stated above, I didn’t need the new vlogging features of the new 7, so I got the G5X II.

Before the trip I took the camera with me to a college football game in the afternoon. I was in a hospitality area (free food and beer) behind one end zone. Even with the limited zoom, I got some surprisingly good video shooting to the other end of the field. Of course the touchdown I shot near to me was really clear.

On the trip, I shot over 3,000 stills, but no video. I was very pleased. I didn’t use the popup viewfinder often, but it was handy in really bright sunlight sometimes.

My main video project each year is to shoot some after-hours pick-up basketball during camp. It features returning college players, new players, pros who play in Europe but back in the states for the summer, and sometimes in the past some NBA players. I often have used it to learn how to use new cameras, but they had not had these games since I had this camera until this year.

My main mistake was in using autofocus. I’ve never had focus problems with this camera before, But several clips began with the camera fishing around for focus. There is enough depth of field with the little lens that I should have just focused manually on one of the baskets and known that everything else would be good, and leave it there. I was going to learn from my mistakes and do better the next night, but they didn’t play again. The zoom lever is not practical to use during shooting, so I leave it zoomed to around 40 or 50mm equivalent and shoot in 4K and then do my zooming in post. That worked fine.

The problem was with all that 4K shooting, the camera overheated. So I shot for a little while with my iPhone in 4K. I had to crop a little more on that footage, but had plenty of resolution still. So I concluded that the G5X II is not the ideal camera for that project, though I could do better with it knowing what I know now. My audience is interested in how the new guys play, how the returning guys have improved, and how the pros are coming along after college. They don’t care much about whether the beginnings of some shots are fuzzy. When the camera was new, I set it up on a tripod on my deck and tested the autofocus by shooting me as I moved back and forth à la Dr. Tongue, and it tracked my face really well. So I was surprised at the basketball focus issues. At vlogging distances, it did great.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Unfortunately, yes, I think it is wishful thinking. Its possible we could finally see the official end of the M series with the release of this camera. M6II was just recently discontinued. M50II may be the last of the breed.

-Brian
m6Ii had not been discontinued globally. Only one or two small markets that dont sell a lot of cameras. Canon management has already debunked that rumor.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Imagine... Canon could be the first one who actually makes a mid range vlogging cam.

12MP 4k, IBIS, good codecs, good autofocus, flip screen, tally light, digital audio in via hotshoe

...basically A7S3 but 3 years later and half the price and without the stupid ultra high end EVF.
Midrange meaning costly.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Not being a vlogger, I have to ask the question: Is there a real benefit in vlogging for having the smallest camera (and lenses) possible?
The dimensions are critical when swaping devices on a gimbal and not desiring to recalibrate on location and hopefully the eyepiece doesnt slam and hit the gimbal during pitch alignment.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
One mount to meet them all, one mount to bind them, One mount to bring them all, and have only one mount production line by Canon. It is VERY reasonable
Just like Canon unified the format of their printer ink and toner cartridges.

Oh, wait…they have many different form factors for those. Why? Because they make printers for different uses and user segments. Just like cameras.

I believe we’ve previously discussed business acumen, and lack thereof. It might make sense for a tiny company with limited scope and manufacturing capabilities to make one product type for their little segment of the market. That description does not apply to Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Just like Canon unified the format of their printer ink and toner cartridges.

Oh, wait…they have many different form factors for those. Why? Because they make printers for different uses and user segments. Just like cameras.

I believe we’ve previously discussed business acumen, and lack thereof. It might make sense for a tiny company with limited scope and manufacturing capabilities to make one product type for their little segment of the market. That description does not apply to Canon.
You have forgotten to mention how many Toyota M50s were sold the last month (in Japan).

Yep, printer cartridges and camera lenses are nearly the same price segment... Excellent comparison, genius!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
m6Ii had not been discontinued globally. Only one or two small markets that dont sell a lot of cameras. Canon management has already debunked that rumor.
I’m not sure that second part is correct. One of the two countries where M6II sales were apparently discontinued is Japan.

Canon management stated the M line would be continued and suggested there would be new M-series products coming. But they said nothing about the M6 line specifically. It would make sense for them to try and shift high-end M users to the R line, so dropping the M6 line while releasing successors to the M200 and/or M50 II would make sense.

What would not make sense for Canon is abandoning a line that comprises 30% of the cameras they sell. There are some that think Canon is that foolish, just as there are some that believe the earth is flat.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This is not a believable rumor. Simply a makeup for the failed R10 m50 replacement speculation. Canon normally is not reactionary. For CR to simply post that after decades of Canon being a leader and trend setter to all of a sudden change to being this reactionary over a product that barely is in consumers hands, let alone being anyrhing close in popularity is simply stupidity. This is basically the same near decade old recycled speculation masquerading as a new rumor.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I’m not sure that second part is correct. One of the two countries where M6II sales were apparently discontinued is Japan.

Canon management stated the M line would be continued and suggested there would be new M-series products coming. But they said nothing about the M6 line specifically. It would make sense for them to try and shift high-end M users to the R line, so dropping the M6 line while releasing successors to the M200 and/or M50 II would make sense.

What would not make sense for Canon is abandoning a line that comprises 30% of the cameras they sell. There are some that think Canon is that foolish, just as there are some that believe the earth is flat.
However, The M6 mk 2 is still for sale in Japan. So maybe one vendor in Japan may have discontinued selling it. It was never reported that the entire country of Japan including Canon online sales has discontinued the M6k 2, only a particular online site. It is still very much for sale in the country of Japan.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
However, The M6 mk 2 is still for sale in Japan. So maybe one vendor in Japan may have discontinued selling it. It was never reported that the entire country of Japan including Canon online sales has discontinued the M6k 2, only a particular online site. It is still very much for sale in the country of Japan.
As far as I can tell, it cannot be bought on Canon Japan’s web store. It’s listed, but cannot be added to a cart. Since I can add other items to a cart, I presume there’s not some geographical issue. Certainly some retailers will still have stock, but that’s generally true for a discontinued product. Amazon.jp only lists it from 3rd party sellers, not Amazon itself.

If Canon Japan isn’t selling it, that has implications. Maybe not major ones, since it’s just Japan and Australia (but we’re not talking about Tuvalu and Liechtenstein here).

Upvote 0