Counting down my five favorite Canon digital cameras ever. Coming in at #1…..

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
….. The Canon EOS-1D X Series
Wow, what a cop-out!
No, not really, I didn’t think having three EOS-1D X cameras in the top 5 was all that interesting or proper. Each camera has been just like the one before it as far as ergonomics and usability, but they continue to evolve in all the areas that are important. Every EOS-1D X camera is a viable tool today, you won’t be upset buying an original EOS-1D X today.
I have owned and used and abused the EOS-1D X and EOS-1D X Mark II, I also own the EOS-1D X Mark III, however, the current global landscape has prevented me from traveling with the new king of the DSLR.
It’s going to be really interesting to see how Canon carries over the ergonomics of the EOS-1 series of DSLRs into a professional flagship mirrorless camera.
Canon EOS-1D X Specifications:

18.1mp Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
ISO 100 – 51200
12fps
61 Autofocus Points
14bit RAW
Dual DIGIC 5+ Processors
Dual CF Card Slots
Launched in 2012
Launch price: $6799usd

Canon EOS-1D X...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
What happened to APS-H?

As much as I liked the EOS-1D Mark IV, it was just a sensor size that didn't make sense once the EOS-1D lineup was amalgamated. I believe it existed for technical reasons to allow for higher frame rates because they couldn't clear a full-frame sensor fast enough for 10fps back in 2009 and before.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
As much as I liked the EOS-1D Mark IV, it was just a sensor size that didn't make sense once the EOS-1D lineup was amalgamated. I believe it existed for technical reasons to allow for higher frame rates because they couldn't clear a full-frame sensor fast enough for 10fps back in 2009 and before.
I think it was entirely a marketing decision for both the 1D3 and 1D4. If there was a technical reason, it had to do with the moving a FF mirror that fast. The 1D3 was introduced over a year after the 5D and the 5D had about the same pixel size as the 1D2/1D2N. I hoped that the Canon would scale up the 1D2N sensor to FF or put a speeded-up 5D sensor into the 1D3. No such luck. The Nikon D3 and D300 were introduced only 6 months after the 1D3 and the Nikon owners posting at DPReview celebrated enthusiastically when it happened. Nikon was no longer trying to compete with the 1D series with their D2H and D2X architectures.

In the 11 years that Canon used APS-H sensors, they never made a lens specifically for that size sensor. The closest they came was to replace the 17-35 f/2.8 L with a 16-35 f/2.8 L when the original 1D was introduced.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015

Whereas the 1DX still hasn't achieved the pixel density of the 1D4, after three iterations. In fact it's marginally better than the 1D3. So perhaps the APS-C / full-frame split was actually a good idea back in the day ..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Whereas the 1DX still hasn't achieved the pixel density of the 1D4, after three iterations. In fact it's marginally better than the 1D3. So perhaps the APS-C / full-frame split was actually a good idea back in the day ..
APS-H, not APS-C. The APS-H sensor has a 1.3X crop. Canon APS-C is 1.6X and Nikon APS-C is 1.5X. When Canon introduced the original 1D in 2001, they bragged about how their APS-H sensor was larger than Nikon's APS-C sensors used on the D1 and D2 series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Given the (at this point) apparent/perceived size of the yet untouched by mortal (public) hands R5, Canon looks to be maintaining similar size and feel with ergonomics for their most popular pro cameras. I would bet money an 1RX is going to look almost identical in size and shape to a 1DX. The prospect of such a camera hitting in 2021 is what kept me from throwing down on the DX3. I think the video upgrades and AF upgrades from the DX2 are VERY nice, but I can wait another year before making my next 1DX upgrade to see what the R version looks like. I'm thinking 90%+ 1DX body with the sensor pushed forward LOL

Upvote 0
After owning the original 5D in the year 2005 and owning almost everything else since, I'd have to say my favorites have been:

#1) EOS R - Great DSLR 5D4 sensor in a small(er) package. Great to edit.
#2) EOS RP - Full Frame power in an even smaller (and cheap) package. Not so great to edit, but not bad either. This would easily be #1 in my book if it had a better sensor.
#3) M6 - Great when paired with superb primes like the 22-2. Great editability of files. Cheap on used market.
#4) 6D - No fuss, superb low light performance. Took the FF market by storm.
#5) 5D Classic. Or back in 2005, just the 5D ;) If you owned this in 2005/2006/2007, you were an absolute powerhouse. People revered you as a rockstar. This type of camera was a earth crusher back in its day. Superb quality and people instantly recognized your pics as being 5D photos.

I've owned or extensively used everything else in between. The 30/40Ds, the Rebel XS/XSIs, SLXs, the 1 Series, etc. These 5 are my favorites. We're living in a day and age now where you don't need size to be good. And therefore, to me, larger cameras are unnecessary and are hard to make the list in this moment and time unless they possess unique or special qualities or history. I owned the R, now own the RP. I love the size of the RP, notably smaller than the R. Yes the absolute IQ isn't there but really its not needed and isn't realized in 99% of photos. I'd much rather have the small size. If the RP replacement can be a tad smaller and have a better sensor, then I'd be ALL IN.

Also the new FV modes make the R and RP just BRILLIANT. Gone are the days where I cycle back and forth between AV and TV.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
We all have our own fav's. But its certainly not aligned with the cameras where Canon set new standards. 5D first affordable FF makes sense. 5DII was the break through video capable FF camera and will be on many people's list already for that reason. It was also the most anticipated Canon camera ever - digital or otherwise. And the 5DS/R set the standard for quality high resolution FF sensors for years, while everyone was expecting Sony to respond within months.

Upvote 0
My All-Time #1: PowerShot G12.

No, seriously. :)

Not that it would be the camera I'd reach for these days but because of what it did for me. I was a casual family shooter that enjoyed using my PowerShot A80. The colors that camera produced were beautiful, and Auto mode was all I knew.

Then I decided to upgrade to the G12. It had higher resolution, bigger articulating screen, more manual controls (never used any manual controls but the thought appealed to me). Then I shot some photos with it. The images were terrible. Highlights were routinely blown. There was noise where I hadn't noticed noise before. My Auto mode world was imploding before my eyes. I was this close > < to returning it.

"Maybe I'll try manual mode before I send it back...."

And thus began the journey that led me into photography.

Had the G12 produced the same results (to my then untrained eye) as my previous camera, I'd still be using a PowerShot, and I'd still be living obliviously in Auto mode...shooting JPEGs.

Eventually, I mastered Manual mode and was able to consistently produce excellent results with the G12. Trying out JPEG+RAW also allowed what felt like a risk-free dip of my toe in the RAW waters. RAW looked so flat. Then came Lightroom...and lots of YouTube tutorials. A whole different world opened up. Then DSLRs, L lenses, and on until the present day.

How grateful I am that Auto mode on the G12 was such a disappointment at the time.

PS: The single best feature on the G12 was the ( * ) button. Press it while in Manual mode, and it would automatically adjust the shutter speed and aperture to what it would have been if it was in Auto. The feature, now, would be pretty useless to me, but at the time, it was just the crutch I needed while "learning to walk" in Manual mode.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Don't worry. I'm sure you heard the collective sigh of the internet experts who were sure the #1 Canon camera should have been a Sony body. ;)

Brian
Interestingly, Sony is still one of the best cameras to use with Canon lenses.

Three of my favorite lenses for Sony a7R cameras are
Canon 24-70L II
Canon 100L IS
Canon 100-400L II

And until Sony released the 135mm GM and Sigma, the 24-70 for Sony, those would have been my three favorite lenses for Sony (okay, I'm digging on the Sony 200-600 for birding too). I have been so blown away by the IQ that I obtain with those EF lenses on A7R bodies. Breathtaking and phenomenal!

Please don't shoot the messenger! :)

Upvote 0