Craigslist Scam of the Day!

Sep 25, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
the.unkle.george said:
OK, so besides the 'to good to be true' price... What else do you see as a tip off that it's a scam?

Go ahead and call the California phone number.

Everything about the listing screams scam. If you don't see that, its not something I can teach.

A few years ago I saw a similar deal for a 5D-something. I knew it was a scam, but wanted to play along so I sent a message. Wouldn't ya know it, but he had just moved to Scotland or something, so we'd have to do the deal by mail. But it was OK, because he knew this very reliable escrow company we could use. I wrote back and told him the good news that I'd just been assigned to make a business trip to <city a short distance from him> in Scotland, and I'd have a free afternoon and could pop over to do the deal in person. Of course, there was no further communication.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
the.unkle.george said:
OK, so besides the 'too good to be true' price... What else do you see as a tip off that it's a scam?

slclick said:
I plead ignorant here as well except for the CA # in WA. However I know many people who keep an old number for quite some time after moving. Help an old blind bat out here Spokey.

I'm with these two. What are you seeing, other than a crazy low price?

You are calling it a scam, but how so? It might have "fallen off the back of a truck" but it should be easy enough to determine if it's stolen property. As Dilbert said, complete the transaction at a local police station.

Maybe somebody's boudoir photography career got a bit too intimate and their spouse has decided to sell the camera?

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
To everyone saying go check it out, you would spend your days calling out of state numbers on Craigslist on deals that sound to good to be true.

On craigslist is there no messaging system? I guess you could SMS or WhatsApp if the number they provide has that. Are calls in America expensive?

I never use craigslist (or ebay) to buy stuff so I do not know.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
expatinasia said:
takesome1 said:
To everyone saying go check it out, you would spend your days calling out of state numbers on Craigslist on deals that sound to good to be true.

On craigslist is there no messaging system? I guess you could SMS or WhatsApp if the number they provide has that. Are calls in America expensive?

I never use craigslist (or ebay) to buy stuff so I do not know.

Long distance charges in the U.S. are a thing of the past as long as you use a cell phone. (Is there any other kind of phone anyway?)

Upvote 0
I just checked and you can email them, and if calls are not expensive do that or SMS/WhatsApp etc.

I do think it is a bit strange for a scammer to target the 1DX Market (which must be quite small), and also if you were going to scam someone with a 1DX wouldn't you at the very least make it look a lot less like a scam by charging more, just knocking a hundred or two off what most people would expect to pay?

Personally I think it is worth contacting them to see, as there are plenty of reasons why this could be a very genuine deal. Or maybe just a dumb scammer.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Scammers rely on people wanting to believe that something very improbable is actually true, and they make up all sorts of excuses as to why something blatantly a scam might not be.

The phone number is likely a California number because Google Voice is and has been out of phone numbers in Washington State.

I checked, and lots of 650 area code numbers are available, they are free and scammers are aware that its a way to hide their actual phone number. I forgot to verify that the number is in the block of numbers that Google voice uses.

Google is and has always been the Scammers friend.

Upvote 0
The same item was previously advertised in Indianapolis.

+igVMxkhLNgAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

For those who do not see this as damning evidence, I can tell you that I hold title to a large quantity of scrap iron in central Paris, which I am offering for sale. At such a low price I must insist that the buyer take responsibility for dismantling and transporting the scrap iron for re-smelting. Unfortunately, I will not be able to meet with buyers in-person as I have pressing business in Nigeria.

Upvote 0
OK. Like I said I have never bought anything from craigslist or ebay because, ironically, I thought most things were either stolen or a scam.

But, how does the scam here work? Do you have to pay before they will post the goods to you?

I have noticed that some sellers in my area want to do the deal in person. Is that better or still worrying?

Here is one seller in Australia I found with two 1DXs the more expensive of which is about US$1,8XX (though very, very different deal to the one the OP shows). To my eyes this looks genuine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-1dX-DSLR-Digital-Camera-Body-Only-/222170870732?hash=item33ba6a73cc:g:kBEAAOSwwo1XdH9C

I am not in Australia and most likely will never buy off ebay or cl but am curious to learn about it.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
expatinasia said:
OK. Like I said I have never bought anything from craigslist or ebay because, ironically, I thought most things were either stolen or a scam.

But, how does the scam here work? Do you have to pay before they will post the goods to you?

I have noticed that some sellers in my area want to do the deal in person. Is that better or still worrying?

Here is one seller in Australia I found with two 1DXs the more expensive of which is about US$1,8XX (though very, very different deal to the one the OP shows). To my eyes this looks genuine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-1dX-DSLR-Digital-Camera-Body-Only-/222170870732?hash=item33ba6a73cc:g:kBEAAOSwwo1XdH9C

I am not in Australia and most likely will never buy off ebay or cl but am curious to learn about it.

Cheers.

Craigslist is setup for local trading with local people. Its not safe to send some unknown person money hoping that they will actually send you something in return.

It can also be used to lure someone with a pocket full of cash into a trap where they will be robbed or worse.

I generally meet a buyer or a seller at a local Starbucks, bank, or place of business.

Craigslist is a safe way to trade if you use common sense and don't let a low price cause you to start making up excuses as to why the seller wants to meet at 10 pm in a shady part of town.

Scammers thrive on greed, its a human failing, we all suffer from it.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
<snip>

Cheers.

These Australian camera sales on eBay are genuine. The seller is well known in Sydney as the photographer and owner behind "Aquabumps" (google it if you are interested in seeing some great surf and sunrise photography of Sydneys' Bondi Beach), a blog that started as a surf report 16+ years ago. He is a Canon (Australia) Master, and sponsored by Canon. These cameras have probably paid for themselves many, many times over, so I suspect any return via sale would be a bonus - but giving them away would not be smart business.
These are starting prices too. Not final sale price. I'm tempted after seeing them earlier today.

Having met the seller a few times and seen him at sunrise many times, I felt compelled to respond to this post.

Upvote 0
AUGS said:
These Australian camera sales on eBay are genuine. The seller is well known in Sydney as the photographer and owner behind "Aquabumps" (google it if you are interested in seeing some great surf and sunrise photography of Sydneys' Bondi Beach), a blog that started as a surf report 16+ years ago. He is a Canon (Australia) Master, and sponsored by Canon. These cameras have probably paid for themselves many, many times over, so I suspect any return via sale would be a bonus - but giving them away would not be smart business.
These are starting prices too. Not final sale price. I'm tempted after seeing them earlier today.

Having met the seller a few times and seen him at sunrise many times, I felt compelled to respond to this post.

Thanks for sharing that, and I am glad you did as I had a feeling his two cameras listed are genuine and a great deal too (esp. the one I linked to earlier). I am amazed at how clean they look in the pictures, mine is definitely more worn than that.

Upvote 0