Nov 17, 2011
Icelandic said:
Stupid many of you thinking about buttons and stuff, if you buy a new beautiful car you don´t think about the buttons YOU GET USED TO IT ... i´ve been a canon owner since 2008 when i started shooting , and been shooting aurora, volcano's and models and using 1ds mk III now , i like it but i´ve been waiting for something like the d810.
Really cant wait for the results in aurora and night shooting and the d810 really F****d the 5d mk III up in video shooting BIG differences so grow up and think about the facts if you really are a good shooter and need a better quality in your photos, if not stick to your favorite. As in now Nikon got the best one on the market ( sorry to say for you religious people ) but it´s a fact

all the best to you
Gunnar

Welcome to CR.

Are you feeling better now? ;)

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Dylan777 said:
Icelandic said:
Stupid many of you thinking about buttons and stuff, if you buy a new beautiful car you don´t think about the buttons YOU GET USED TO IT ... i´ve been a canon owner since 2008 when i started shooting , and been shooting aurora, volcano's and models and using 1ds mk III now , i like it but i´ve been waiting for something like the d810.
Really cant wait for the results in aurora and night shooting and the d810 really F****d the 5d mk III up in video shooting BIG differences so grow up and think about the facts if you really are a good shooter and need a better quality in your photos, if not stick to your favorite. As in now Nikon got the best one on the market ( sorry to say for you religious people ) but it´s a fact

all the best to you
Gunnar

Welcome to CR.

Are you feeling better now? ;)
I think my sarcasm about buttons has wedged itself into this poor fellows mind. XD

Upvote 0
Icelandic said:

all the best to you
Gunnar

Poor ergonomics can spoil one's experience. (I'm not saying Canon has better ergonomics, I've never used Nikon cameras so can't compare). But I encounter poorly designed products every day, and it's depressing. Somebody actually designed a jug or kettle that spills when you pour, or tissue that tears anywhere but the perforations, or plastic film that requires a set of surgical tools to remove. Sure, we can (and usually have to) get used to these things, but I don't think it's asking too much that these problems are ironed out before going into production.

Of course, these are much more clear cut than button positions on a camera, I suspect, which is more a matter of personal taste. Fwiw I also have my dials programmed so one does ISO with a button pushed down - it is a lot quicker than the other cameras I've used, and tiny differences can add up to a better experience.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
scyrene said:
Icelandic said:

all the best to you
Gunnar

Poor ergonomics can spoil one's experience. (I'm not saying Canon has better ergonomics, I've never used Nikon cameras so can't compare). But I encounter poorly designed products every day, and it's depressing. Somebody actually designed a jug or kettle that spills when you pour, or tissue that tears anywhere but the perforations, or plastic film that requires a set of surgical tools to remove. Sure, we can (and usually have to) get used to these things, but I don't think it's asking too much that these problems are ironed out before going into production.

Of course, these are much more clear cut than button positions on a camera, I suspect, which is more a matter of personal taste. Fwiw I also have my dials programmed so one does ISO with a button pushed down - it is a lot quicker than the other cameras I've used, and tiny differences can add up to a better experience.

Canon's ergonomics and intuitive controls are still my favorites, despite how some buttons layouts tend to drift around from body to body.

The most vexatious ergnomics has to be on my Fuji XT1; very enjoyable camera to use except my early production model has THE WORST buttons ever put on top level body I've ever experienced. I darn near need an ice-pick to operate the L cursor button. I thought the 60D had some mushy-flush buttons but the XT1 takes the big raspberry in that regard.

So yes, poor ergonomics or funky control operations can certainly make a potentially good imaging tool not live up to its potential.
I presume the D810 buttons and controls are pretty similar to the D800's and they're decent, not fantastic. One can learn to live with them and customize a few to improve the overall experience and yes, even shoot fairly adeptly with one hand, if necessary.

Upvote 0
Threads like this are what makes Canonrumors a hoot to read. ;D

Few things are more entertaining than reading Canon owners getting spun up over a Nikon product.

If you like Canon, buy Canon
If you like Nikon, buy Nikon
If you like Canon and Nikon, buy Canon and Nikon.

Is it really more complicated than that?

If you don't think the D810 is the camera for you, great! No one is forcing you to buy a D810. But just because someone does not like the D810 does not mean it is a bad camera or that someone else may like it.

But if everyone felt this way, Canonrumors would not be as entertaining as it is. ;D

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:

Few things are more entertaining than reading Canon owners getting spun up over a Nikon product.

If you don't think the D810 is the camera for you, great! No one is forcing you to buy a D810. But just because someone does not like the D810 does not mean it is a bad camera or that someone else may like it.

But if everyone felt this way, Canonrumors would not be as entertaining as it is. ;D
=1 ;) ;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

How dare you sir! Don't you know that reasoning is not a virtue in these kind of forums ;D

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
ewg963 said:

=1 ;) ;) ;) ;)

Not being fussy about branding equals 1 and four winks? Can I use those to buy a cheeseburger?

Upvote 0

Skulker

PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
Aug 1, 2012

so you think people should for their own opinion? You mean they should make a decision? What on their own?

But who would they blame then? Well I suppose it's obvious, the designers don't have a clue, the market in men deliberately crippling thepproducts, and as for the executives they just are useless.

No I can't see that working. We all need the fantastic levels of knowledge displayed on here. Even when it's directly contradictory.

;D :mad: :-*

now who can tell me should I buy the standard canon lens cap crippled with outside pinch to release or one of these super duper center pinch thingy whatsits. I need to know which one will be best for taking black images. Also should I use auto focus, live Viewor mmale. I need to know because I'm taking 20 mega something size images, I need to get it right in camera so I can extrapolate it up to at least 200 wot sits then I'm going tto HDR it up to at least 20 DR thingys. I know I have to because someone told me that's what I need to create a basic image to re pouch on Flickr.

And before any one gets upset, no offence intended to any one.

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand

Far too sensible an approach - there is no room for such on this forum

Thank ye ;)

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
So, why is not having a low-pass filter (810) better than having one that doesn't anti-alias (800E)? I thought the low-pass filter is useful for protecting the sensor from dust... ???

dilbert said:
If your camera is in good enough condition to be sold as "mint" or "near mint" condition then you obviously haven't used it very much.

There is a difference between 'use' and 'abuse'. I sold my 2-year old iPhone 4S back to Apple and got their maximum possible buyback price (for 'mint'- which anyone who sold back to Apple will know, is pretty rare). And I used my phone every day, all the time.

Snobbish generalizations aside, these incremental improvements will send a bunch of Nikonians scurrying to pick up the last of the 800s at their current price before they are discontinued. Maybe that was the ulterior motive- to boost D800 sales!

bosshog7_2000 said:
Better lenses...yeah, as long as you don't shoot UWA...cus besides the 17mm TSE Canon is pretty weak in that regard. I'm still using my old 5D2 but I would be a pretty happy camper if Canon came out with something like the D810.

Nikon has one excellent fast UWA zoom, yes. But the other three are quite mediocre. And with the new 16-35 IS, Canon has closed that gap quite a bit (if early samples can be believed).
It is funny how people read posts on the forums and make these generalized comments! Other than a fast UWA, Nikon isn't significantly better in ANY aspect compared to Canon lenses. Head-to-head they are either close or Canon is much better. And that fast UWA isn't the paragon of lenses. Short range, difficult to use a filter, expensive, and prone to flare. How many Nikonians use the 14-24, I ask?

I never said Nikon was better than Canon in the lens dept...I qualified it with 'UWA'. And give me a break...lots of Nikonians use the 14-24...like most of them that are serious about landscape photography. Aside from that...there are considerable Canon photogs who go to the trouble and expense to use that saem Nikon lens on their Canon...surely you know this. I hope you are right about the new Canon 16-35f4...

Upvote 0