Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I propose a poll to see who among the CR members neuroanatomist, dilbert, or Aglet has provided the most helpful/useful/beneficial information to the other members of the forum.
I don't know who would win this poll but I have to say that neuroanatomist has given me excellent advice. I am no novice to photography, or even digital photography, but I do ask some simple minded questions from time to time. (I am planning ABC, my lens choices are probably DEF, what do y'all think?). Neuranatomist has always given good advice (sometimes I even followed it) and treated an old man with respect.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Old Sarge said:
neuroanatomist said:
I propose a poll to see who among the CR members neuroanatomist, dilbert, or Aglet has provided the most helpful/useful/beneficial information to the other members of the forum.
I don't know who would win this poll but I have to say that neuroanatomist has given me excellent advice. I am no novice to photography, or even digital photography, but I do ask some simple minded questions from time to time. (I am planning ABC, my lens choices are probably DEF, what do y'all think?). Neuranatomist has always given good advice (sometimes I even followed it) and treated an old man with respect.

I'm sure you are not the only one on CR site ;)

The only advice that I didn't take from Neuro is to drive nail with 1DX ;D

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
The only advice that I didn't take from Neuro is to drive nail with 1DX ;D

And yet it is such a fine substitute for a hammer! Perfectly weighted and a joy to use, I often prefer it to over my own hammer, especially as you can stop hammering and take a shot within a moment of something catching your eye. As long as it wasn't the nail you were hammering that caught your eye, in which case you may need to go to hospital pretty sharpish. ;D But on a serious note, I agree. Neuro has been a tremendous help over the years, and I greatly value his opinion on these forums. He and CR go together like tomatoes and cheese, or ham and cheese, err you get my drift. I best go get breakfast. :D

BTW I am surprised this thread is still going on. Are we aiming for the longest Nikon thread in the history of CR?! What would have happened if this had been a substantial update to the 800/800E?! I shudder to think. ;)

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
unfocused said:
So, I wonder if someone else is posting under the same "Dilbert" name...if Mr. Dilbert has multiple personality disorder or if he considers it acceptable social behavior to make rude, denigrating comments to insult the abilities of others.

Yes, I have a multiple personality disorder, so what?

That's nice. Then they'll never believe you. Well your opinion will just be an opinion, never a winning argument then. The well is poisoned. Nobody will ever drink from it. ::)

Upvote 0
scottkinfw said:
I hope it is a really great camera, and sets some new standards. Will I switch? Nope. I love the competition that will make things better for us all.

Frankly I wish Nikon well, but I'm not that interested in what they do. To be honest, I have a lot invested in lenses, bodies, giizmos, etc., and I spend a lot of time and effort improving my photographic skills. What I have discovered is that it isn't the hardware that is my limiting factor.

Improvements in technology will help me get better, but so far, my beloved 5DIII, pooped on or not, still has plenty of head room for me to improve.

sek
Ditto that

Upvote 0
ewg963 said:
scottkinfw said:
I hope it is a really great camera, and sets some new standards. Will I switch? Nope. I love the competition that will make things better for us all.

Frankly I wish Nikon well, but I'm not that interested in what they do. To be honest, I have a lot invested in lenses, bodies, giizmos, etc., and I spend a lot of time and effort improving my photographic skills. What I have discovered is that it isn't the hardware that is my limiting factor.

Improvements in technology will help me get better, but so far, my beloved 5DIII, pooped on or not, still has plenty of head room for me to improve.

sek
Ditto that

Ditto again!

Upvote 0
Some People seems to have too much Time :D .

I´ve got enought Time today on Sunday to read this Threat - while enjoing a great Cup
of Coffee - trolls in Internet should be ignored, so they go quit by themself .

Back to Topic: The D810 seems to be great - so the Nikon Fanboys could have an Nikon close to an 5D3 .

All Fanboys could go out an take Photo´s - share them and enjoy the Community.

In my Reality most of the real Photografers use Canon, including me.
I also wait for an 12/14-24 f2.8 Lens with outstanding IQ for Canon, but how often i will use it ?
The new 16-35 f4 IS L is a interesting Lens for most People who need an real wide Angle.

Users like Neuro help People - this should be the Reason for an Forum like this.
( Sometimes he could handle Beginners a bit softer ok ... )

Most of us are limitated by their own Capabilitys - not by the Hardware.

Slow down 8) .

( Sorry for my poor English )

Greetings

Bernd

Upvote 0
Hello Dilbert,

i knew this... ;) .

I am a Hobbyist - bought an 17-40 f4 L knewing it´s poor Edges, compared first with the
16-36 f2.8 II L ( Test one Year ago ( Test by myself ) ) .

Now i would buy the 16-35 f4 L IS - but in Practice the 17-40 is ok for me now, so wait and
use my Gear - the Nikkor 12-24 f2.8 is a special Lens for People who need it.

I am shure Canon will "answer" the 12-24 f2.8 and i will take a look an it, and on my needs
and my Budget ( Some Experiences with Astrophoto happened to me a few Weeks ago 8)
and really wide is sometimes in other Kind of Photo really nice )

But in this Threath the 810 ist the Topic - not one Lens .

Landscapes are al very small Part of my photografic Interesse - and in my analog Past an
24mm Prime worked ok for me ( call me Canon Fanboy - it was an Canon FD ;D )

The next Lens seems to be the 24-70 f2.8 L II - i´ve never thought of need an Standard Lens like this, but Times changes - so now it is Time for it .

Greetings

Bernd

Upvote 0
If anyone has a Canon EOS 5D III which has been pooped upon by Nikon's latest or not so latest offering then do not forget me. If you are trying to get rid of your pooped upon 5D3 please do not throw it into the dumpster in a doggy poop bag. Please pack and ship it to me. For the benefit of the community and recycling I am willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and accept all Nikon-poop-covered-5D3. And I am pretty certain since I am doing this due to the inherent goodness of my heart you will not ask for any reimbursement. Thank you.

PS: The offer is not limited to 5DIII alone, I am willing to help you get rid of any canon gear that has been pooped upon by Nikon gear (the free of cost offer still applicable).

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
unfocused said:
So, I wonder if someone else is posting under the same "Dilbert" name...if Mr. Dilbert has multiple personality disorder or if he considers it acceptable social behavior to make rude, denigrating comments to insult the abilities of others.
Yes, I have a multiple personality disorder, so what?
I do not like Cowntry music. :mad:
What will I do in my free time? ???
I know! :-\
I will study this type of music and become an expert on how bad it can be. ::)
So I'll enroll in specialized forums this type of music to try to convince his admirers that is the worst song there is. :-[ I will listen to this song all day, and deeply understand that to create complex theories to justify my hatred. :'(
I must fight what I dislike. :-X
I think I need a psychiatrist. :p

Upvote 0
IMO. I much prefer Canon's strategy on rolling out next generation prosumer/pro models in 2-3 yr cycles. For one, the upgrades are not incremental - could even be revolutionary/evolutionary. Secondly, I think this matches with customers' upgrade cycle. I would even skip a release or two myself.

With regards to the "other topic" in this thread, I say, you don't get bestowed "CR Geek" for nothing. ;D

Mention of DR or DXO can most times get a thread off topic quickly but, it also becomes entertaining for most of us reading how the usual suspects defend their sides passionately. Sometimes lines are crossed but all in all, I think CR's health is OK.

I will continue to participate and contribute to it and am pretty sure others will too!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
dilbert said:
unfocused said:
dilbert said:
I can't believe how many of these images have blown highlights.

I forgot to ask: how is my comment above rude, denigrating or insulting?

If you have to ask why it is unacceptable and inappropriate to inject an unsolicited and disparaging comment on a thread where people are simply sharing images they have taken, when they have not asked for or shown any interest in your opinion, then neither I nor anyone else can help you.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Bernd FMC said:
Some People seems to have too much Time :D .

I've got enough Time today on Sunday to read this Thread - while enjoying a great Cup
of Coffee - trolls in Internet should be ignored, so they go quit by themselves ...

Most of us are limited by their own Capabilities - not by the Hardware.

Slow down 8) .

( Sorry for my poor English )

Greetings

Bernd

Your English may not be perfect, but your thoughts and perspective are flawless. Thanks for posting.

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
Aglet said:
dilbert said:
neuroanatomist said:
Nikonian linguistic analysis: the -10 suffix translates to 'fixing a problem'. The SB910 fixed the thermal issues of the SB900. The D610 fixed the oil spatter and banned-from-sale-in-China-debacle of the D600. The D810 fixes the problem Nikon had of producing both the D800 and D800E.

I wonder if there is a neuroanatomist-10 in the nikon forums...

+1
perhaps we can start a poll for the most requested/needed feature changes and improvements ;)

I propose a poll to see who among the CR members neuroanatomist, dilbert, or Aglet has provided the most helpful/useful/beneficial information to the other members of the forum. The one with the most votes earns a pat on the back, the other two are permanently banned from CR forums. I'll abide by the results if you two agree to do so as well. What do you say, gentlemen...are you ready to put your reputations on the line?

Puke Barf Vomit

I am hoping this was a different person hacking into his account posting this, or feeling unappreciated here?, amongst the trolls ? QQ, I don't see why bother anyway, just let trolls reply to trolls, ignore them all.
They must love taking up your 'valuable' time, why give them what they want!

Maybe I am talking non sense, i have a reading filter, which is agressive, <--- avoiding the trolls :D, also not reading a lot of your posts, becoming somewhat of a partimetroll

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
RLPhoto said:
The ISO button is still in a funny spot. I will not switch until that issue is addressed.

YES, it is in a funny spot but it's easy enough to find, if a tad awkward at times.

However, this is not an issue that needs to be addressed, it already has been.
You can program ISO function to the rear control wheel, for example.

I find it wonderfully easy to operate the camera in Av mode using the front control for aperture, Canon-style, with the rear control dial providing fast easy ISO setting ability even better than the Canon button-then-control-wheel method, just watch your ISO in the viewfinder display.
When in full manual, ya, gotta schlep back to the awkward but easy to find button but might also be possible to program ISO to another button on the front of the camera too.... My front buttons are currently programmed for DoF/stopdown and artificial horizon control instead.

Edit - clarified language

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Aglet said:
RLPhoto said:
The ISO button is still in a funny spot. I will not switch until that issue is addressed.

YES, it is in a funny spot but it's easy enough to find, if a tad awkward at times.

However, this is not an issue that needs to be addressed, it already has been.
You can program ISO function to the rear control wheel, for example.

I find it wonderfully easy to operate the camera in Av mode using the front control for aperture, Canon-style, with the rear control dial providing fast easy ISO setting ability even better than the Canon button-then-control-wheel method, just watch your ISO in the viewfinder display.
When in full manual, ya, gotta schlep back to the awkward but easy to find button but might also be possible to program ISO to another button on the front of the camera too.... My front buttons are currently programmed for DoF/stopdown and artificial horizon control instead.

Edit - clarified language

I was joking but it still sucks on the nikon. My 5D3 ISO is programmed to the set button on the rear which plus the standard two wheels for aperture and shutter speed, makes operation Uber fast. A huge ergo+ towards canon and is something that is very annoying to me when I use nikon bodies.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
seiteseis said:
RLPhoto said:

REC button can be set to ISO function. it's more easier than canon ISO button :D
If I remember, the rec button was a stretch to reach. Still not as good as canon.

Upvote 0