Deep Sky Astrophotography (Gear Discussion)

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Re: Deep Sky Astrophotography

jrista said:
Hi Reinz. When it comes to astrophotography, the mount is pretty much the most important thing. Most astrophotographers who have even moderately diverse goals (i.e. just galaxies and nebula) are going to need to use multiple telescopes with different focal lengths, or at least one telescope with barlows and focal reduces, to get a field of view wide enough or narrow enough to frame their subjects properly. A good mount can last you for many, many years, where as telescopes (or, for that matter, camera lenses) usually come and go until you hit the real high end (i.e. 20" RCOS or PlaneWave telescopes).

For $1000, you can get yourself an entry-level mount. Something like the Orion Sirius, which is the little sibling of the Orion Atlas. The Sirius has a capacity of 30lb, which for visual is generally fine, but that pretty much equates to 15lb for astrography (the Sirius doesn't have the most sturdy tripod, so you REALLY have to stick to the 50% capacity limit for imaging work). That is practically nothing in terms of capacity, but if you just stick to your DSLR and lenses, it'll at least get you started.

The Orion Atlas is a much more capable mount, it's capacity is 40lb, however imagers have been putting on 60-70% of the capacity and getting excellent results. Visual observers have put over 50lb on this mount when using sturdier tripods or full blown piers. The Orion Atlas is $1499, however it's fairly frequently on sale for $1399, and at times has been as low as $1200. Given how important the mount is, especially if you think you might want to move up from your lenses to a real telescope at some point in the future (and entry cost for telescopes can actually be pretty low...for example, the Astro-Tech AT6RC, a 6" Ritchey-Chretien telescope, is only $399 and it's designed specifically as an astrograph.) If you can muster it, I highly recommend getting the Orion Atlas mount, even though it's more than your $1000 budget. It will give you LOTS of room to grow in the future if you find that you like astrophotography (it could even be "the" mount you use for the next ten or twenty years....many people used the predecessor to the Atlas/EQ6 class mounts for about that long.)

From your existing equipment, the 5DIII hands down. Don't use a Nikon for astrophotography...their nickname in our community is "Star Eaters", since they clip to the black point, rather than using a bias offset (one of the many ways Nikon "cheats" their way towards cleaner shadows :p.) Canon's use of a bias offset is the reason there is a lot of banding in their shadows, which isn't good for regular photography. However since in astrophotography we use bias frames to remove the bias from the signal, Canon DSLRs are actually a lot better...they preserve more stars and deep nebula detail. So definitely use the 5D III.

You have a good range of lenses as well for "wide field" work. The 40/2.8 @ f/4 and 50/1.4 @ f/3.5 are both excellent for "whole constellation" images (for example, you could image the entirety of the core Orion constellation, as well as most of his club and kill: http://bit.ly/1lF7hSp) The 100mm Macro @ f/4 is a great lens for imaging entire small constellations, or for imaging parts of larger constellations (for example, it would neatly encompass the core of Orion, but not his club or kill: http://bit.ly/1jIciah) The 70-200 at 200mm @ f/4 is great for narrower regions, small constellations (for example, 200mm would encompass Orion's Belt and Sword, and the small reflection nebula M78: http://bit.ly/1mOwpGH) The 100-400 at 400mm @ f/8, while a bit slower and probably requiring more equipment (such as a guider, which itself would probably require a number of additional accessories to properly mount next to your camera), is good for imaging nebula themselves (for example, it would encompass just Orion's sword, which includes Orion Nebula (M42/M43) and Running Man Nebula: http://bit.ly/1ltmAeo; or it would encompass just Orion's Belt, which includes Horse Head and Flame Nebulas, IC434, and a number of small reflection nebula: http://bit.ly/1dSzPFJ).

If you go with just the mount, you will be able to attach your DSLR and a lens. The 100-400mm is probably not quite going to work, as you would need pretty steady tracking to image at f/8...that's pretty slow. Were talking 1" (" means arcsecond, ' means arcminute, 60 arc minutes per degree) tracking, which is not easy to achieve. So your probably going to be stuck at 200mm and less until you decide to upgrade. Thing is, that is really the best place to start anyway, as at those focal lengths, tracking error is really forgiving, so you should be able to track for several minutes, maybe as much as five minutes, without appreciable star elongation or trailing, allowing deep exposures of wide regions of the sky (which, during the two times of year when the milky way is up, are PACKED with IMMENSE swaths of nebula).

Unguided imaging is basically the domain if the wide and ultra wide field. If you want to see the kinds of images you can get at those scales, you should check out AstroBin. Plenty of good examples there (better than anything I've done as of yet.)

If you get an Orion Sirius mount, which is $1000, then that will suffice for DSLR with 200mm and less. You'll need to get a better mount than that if you want to do more. There are a lot of small APO refractors on the market, ranging in price from around $500 to as high as $10,000 or more, however most of the smaller, lighter ones that would work on a Sirius fall into the same general focal range that you already have with your Canon lenses (200mm to ~800mm). The logical upgrade for you would be to eventually move to a Cassegrain type OTA (Optical Telescope Assembly). Cassegrains include your standard SCT (Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope), the Celestron EdgeHD (an Aplantic SCT, designed specifically to support a wide and flat field, right into the corners, for imaging), and the Ritchey-Chretien cassegrains (primarily those from Astro-Tech.) Meade also makes some Aplantic SCTs like Celestrons, however they tend to be more expensive, despite not really offering anything more, and there is one special benefit to the Celestron EdgeHD OTAs: They support Hyperstar, a special conversion mod that allows you to do ultra wide field imaging (~200-400mm) at f/2 (REALLY FAST...you could get really deeply exposed images in a couple minutes at that aperture.)

Generally speaking, the best upgrade from DSLR+Camera Lens imaging is to move to something like the Celestron EdgeHD 8" SCT, or the Astro-Tech AT8RC 8" Ritchey-Chretein. Both are reasonably priced, although Astro-Tech's prices are really hard to beat for the quality, optical design, and overall capabilities for imaging. For either of these, you would really want at leas the Orion Atlas (or the equivalent from Celestron, the CGEM or CGEM DX, however the Atlas is really the better option due to the rich community, EQMOD, and the option for installing belt mods to improve tracking and guiding accuracy down the road.)

My recommendation is pick up the Orion Atlas EQ-G, and use your 5D III and 50mm, 100mm, and 70-200mm lenses. You should be able to just bolt your camera to the included Vixen dovetail that comes with the mount, and not bother with purchasing any additional accessories initially. You will need to learn how to polar align the mount (the Atlas comes with a built-in polar finder scope, which once properly centered (the most annoying thing you will ever do, but thankfully you only have to do it once! :p), is highly accurate and easy), and you will need to either learn how to use the hand controller to "Align GOTOs", or purchase a $40 EQDIR cable, use EQMOD, and completely computerize your process (HIGHLY recommended, you can buy BackyardEOS ($50) to greatly simplify your imaging sequences, and gain a lot of powerful features, such as highly precise live view focusing on your laptop or a windows 8 tablet, to get the best results.)

And to think that someone in another thread said "You are the small weak man, who attempts to compensate for your shortcomings by posting lengthy forum posts".... This is a wealth of information! Thank you for posting this, your posts have helped me many times since I joined the forum and this one is no exception.... I can't wait for a clear night to try out some of the things you have mentioned....

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

Don Haines said:
jrista said:
Hi Reinz. When it comes to astrophotography, the mount is pretty much the most important thing. Most astrophotographers who have even moderately diverse goals (i.e. just galaxies and nebula) are going to need to use multiple telescopes with different focal lengths, or at least one telescope with barlows and focal reduces, to get a field of view wide enough or narrow enough to frame their subjects properly. A good mount can last you for many, many years, where as telescopes (or, for that matter, camera lenses) usually come and go until you hit the real high end (i.e. 20" RCOS or PlaneWave telescopes).

For $1000, you can get yourself an entry-level mount. Something like the Orion Sirius, which is the little sibling of the Orion Atlas. The Sirius has a capacity of 30lb, which for visual is generally fine, but that pretty much equates to 15lb for astrography (the Sirius doesn't have the most sturdy tripod, so you REALLY have to stick to the 50% capacity limit for imaging work). That is practically nothing in terms of capacity, but if you just stick to your DSLR and lenses, it'll at least get you started.

The Orion Atlas is a much more capable mount, it's capacity is 40lb, however imagers have been putting on 60-70% of the capacity and getting excellent results. Visual observers have put over 50lb on this mount when using sturdier tripods or full blown piers. The Orion Atlas is $1499, however it's fairly frequently on sale for $1399, and at times has been as low as $1200. Given how important the mount is, especially if you think you might want to move up from your lenses to a real telescope at some point in the future (and entry cost for telescopes can actually be pretty low...for example, the Astro-Tech AT6RC, a 6" Ritchey-Chretien telescope, is only $399 and it's designed specifically as an astrograph.) If you can muster it, I highly recommend getting the Orion Atlas mount, even though it's more than your $1000 budget. It will give you LOTS of room to grow in the future if you find that you like astrophotography (it could even be "the" mount you use for the next ten or twenty years....many people used the predecessor to the Atlas/EQ6 class mounts for about that long.)

From your existing equipment, the 5DIII hands down. Don't use a Nikon for astrophotography...their nickname in our community is "Star Eaters", since they clip to the black point, rather than using a bias offset (one of the many ways Nikon "cheats" their way towards cleaner shadows :p.) Canon's use of a bias offset is the reason there is a lot of banding in their shadows, which isn't good for regular photography. However since in astrophotography we use bias frames to remove the bias from the signal, Canon DSLRs are actually a lot better...they preserve more stars and deep nebula detail. So definitely use the 5D III.

You have a good range of lenses as well for "wide field" work. The 40/2.8 @ f/4 and 50/1.4 @ f/3.5 are both excellent for "whole constellation" images (for example, you could image the entirety of the core Orion constellation, as well as most of his club and kill: http://bit.ly/1lF7hSp) The 100mm Macro @ f/4 is a great lens for imaging entire small constellations, or for imaging parts of larger constellations (for example, it would neatly encompass the core of Orion, but not his club or kill: http://bit.ly/1jIciah) The 70-200 at 200mm @ f/4 is great for narrower regions, small constellations (for example, 200mm would encompass Orion's Belt and Sword, and the small reflection nebula M78: http://bit.ly/1mOwpGH) The 100-400 at 400mm @ f/8, while a bit slower and probably requiring more equipment (such as a guider, which itself would probably require a number of additional accessories to properly mount next to your camera), is good for imaging nebula themselves (for example, it would encompass just Orion's sword, which includes Orion Nebula (M42/M43) and Running Man Nebula: http://bit.ly/1ltmAeo; or it would encompass just Orion's Belt, which includes Horse Head and Flame Nebulas, IC434, and a number of small reflection nebula: http://bit.ly/1dSzPFJ).

If you go with just the mount, you will be able to attach your DSLR and a lens. The 100-400mm is probably not quite going to work, as you would need pretty steady tracking to image at f/8...that's pretty slow. Were talking 1" (" means arcsecond, ' means arcminute, 60 arc minutes per degree) tracking, which is not easy to achieve. So your probably going to be stuck at 200mm and less until you decide to upgrade. Thing is, that is really the best place to start anyway, as at those focal lengths, tracking error is really forgiving, so you should be able to track for several minutes, maybe as much as five minutes, without appreciable star elongation or trailing, allowing deep exposures of wide regions of the sky (which, during the two times of year when the milky way is up, are PACKED with IMMENSE swaths of nebula).

Unguided imaging is basically the domain if the wide and ultra wide field. If you want to see the kinds of images you can get at those scales, you should check out AstroBin. Plenty of good examples there (better than anything I've done as of yet.)

If you get an Orion Sirius mount, which is $1000, then that will suffice for DSLR with 200mm and less. You'll need to get a better mount than that if you want to do more. There are a lot of small APO refractors on the market, ranging in price from around $500 to as high as $10,000 or more, however most of the smaller, lighter ones that would work on a Sirius fall into the same general focal range that you already have with your Canon lenses (200mm to ~800mm). The logical upgrade for you would be to eventually move to a Cassegrain type OTA (Optical Telescope Assembly). Cassegrains include your standard SCT (Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope), the Celestron EdgeHD (an Aplantic SCT, designed specifically to support a wide and flat field, right into the corners, for imaging), and the Ritchey-Chretien cassegrains (primarily those from Astro-Tech.) Meade also makes some Aplantic SCTs like Celestrons, however they tend to be more expensive, despite not really offering anything more, and there is one special benefit to the Celestron EdgeHD OTAs: They support Hyperstar, a special conversion mod that allows you to do ultra wide field imaging (~200-400mm) at f/2 (REALLY FAST...you could get really deeply exposed images in a couple minutes at that aperture.)

Generally speaking, the best upgrade from DSLR+Camera Lens imaging is to move to something like the Celestron EdgeHD 8" SCT, or the Astro-Tech AT8RC 8" Ritchey-Chretein. Both are reasonably priced, although Astro-Tech's prices are really hard to beat for the quality, optical design, and overall capabilities for imaging. For either of these, you would really want at leas the Orion Atlas (or the equivalent from Celestron, the CGEM or CGEM DX, however the Atlas is really the better option due to the rich community, EQMOD, and the option for installing belt mods to improve tracking and guiding accuracy down the road.)

My recommendation is pick up the Orion Atlas EQ-G, and use your 5D III and 50mm, 100mm, and 70-200mm lenses. You should be able to just bolt your camera to the included Vixen dovetail that comes with the mount, and not bother with purchasing any additional accessories initially. You will need to learn how to polar align the mount (the Atlas comes with a built-in polar finder scope, which once properly centered (the most annoying thing you will ever do, but thankfully you only have to do it once! :p), is highly accurate and easy), and you will need to either learn how to use the hand controller to "Align GOTOs", or purchase a $40 EQDIR cable, use EQMOD, and completely computerize your process (HIGHLY recommended, you can buy BackyardEOS ($50) to greatly simplify your imaging sequences, and gain a lot of powerful features, such as highly precise live view focusing on your laptop or a windows 8 tablet, to get the best results.)

And to think that someone in another thread said "You are the small weak man, who attempts to compensate for your shortcomings by posting lengthy forum posts".... This is a wealth of information! Thank you for posting this, your posts have helped me many times since I joined the forum and this one is no exception.... I can't wait for a clear night to try out some of the things you have mentioned....

He called me a weak man, stop siding with him and kissing his ass.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:
stop siding with him and kissing his ass.
He has helped me many times with advice on many subjects.... what have you done for me?

I didn't realize you felt such hostility towards me. Do I have to do things for you in order to be treated with common decency? I don't recall disrespecting you, your opinions, or your photography. Sorry if you feel that way.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada

CarlTN said:
Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:
He has helped me many times with advice on many subjects.... what have you done for me?

I didn't realize you felt such hostility towards me. Do I have to do things for you in order to be treated with common decency? I don't recall disrespecting you, your opinions, or your photography. Sorry if you feel that way.

I feel no hostility towards you and I enjoy reading many of your posts and comments too.

I just wish you and Jrista wouldn't fight.. it detracts from everyone.

Upvote 0

@Don & @Reinz: I'm really glad to hear you guys are interested in astrophotography. :) I think this is a GREAT time to get into the field...the technology we have today makes the cost of entry relatively low (if all you want to do is very wide field work, all you really need is a $800-$1000 mount, and your DSLR + lenses). If you find you really like it, high quality equipment can be purchased for only a few thousand dollars more, such as an astrograph OTA (like the AT8RC) and maybe an entry-level cooled astro CCD, the cheapest of which cost around $1500, about the same as a midrange DSLR.

The technology is pretty darn good, too. With an entry-level Atik CCD camera, people are producing high quality images that rival what NASA was getting a decade ago. Even highly advanced software packages for processing have become cheaper. It used to be that dedicated astro processing tools cost about $1000. Today, you can buy PixInsight, an extremely powerful processing system, for around $250.

Anyway, great time to be getting into astrophotography. I wish you guys the best, it's very fun (especially if your more technically minded, and enjoy a challenge.)

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:
Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:

I feel no hostility towards you and I enjoy reading many of your posts and comments too.

Sure seems that way to me, but you and him are old buddies, I guess I can understand that. There are some people that will never get along. I respect some of the work he does, and some of his knowledge, but I don't respect his hatred, anger, immaturity, antagonism, and self righteousness...he is deluded where I am concerned. He keeps claiming I don't know him. I say the same, he doesn't know me. All we know is what we read on here, and from day one (over a year ago) he has been extremely hostile and insulting to me...sending me insulting private messages. Nobody is perfect though. But I will not be called a small and weak man, and then have someone else portray me as the instigator in that exchange (as you did), because I was not. He started the name calling, and he got away with it. The moderators like him, they don't like me. I hope you can understand that. I certainly know you would not tolerate it, if it were directed at you. I refuse to be insulted for simply sharing my own experiences, by someone who has no experience with a product, yet types in caps as if to emphasize his pronouncements as "factual", and anyone who disagrees, is somehow in error. John Rista is not a god.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada

jrista said:
@Don & @Reinz: I'm really glad to hear you guys are interested in astrophotography. :) I think this is a GREAT time to get into the field...the technology we have today makes the cost of entry relatively low (if all you want to do is very wide field work, all you really need is a $800-$1000 mount, and your DSLR + lenses). If you find you really like it, high quality equipment can be purchased for only a few thousand dollars more, such as an astrograph OTA (like the AT8RC) and maybe an entry-level cooled astro CCD, the cheapest of which cost around $1500, about the same as a midrange DSLR.

The technology is pretty darn good, too. With an entry-level Atik CCD camera, people are producing high quality images that rival what NASA was getting a decade ago. Even highly advanced software packages for processing have become cheaper. It used to be that dedicated astro processing tools cost about $1000. Today, you can buy PixInsight, an extremely powerful processing system, for around $250.

Anyway, great time to be getting into astrophotography. I wish you guys the best, it's very fun (especially if your more technically minded, and enjoy a challenge.)

I started with a really crappy 3" refractor telescope and got hooked!

I picked up a Celestron Advanced GT tracking mount... it's nice and solid and seems to track quite well. After lots of fiddling with aligning mounts, I ended up putting in some patio stones in the yard, made sure they were as level as possible, and marked where the tripod legs go... instant alignment! I have an 8" reflector telescope that I can use, or I have a mounting rail with a quick release camera mount. I have shot video of planets through the telescope, 2X barlow, and a 60D and run the images through Registax and I have just started to get interested in image stacking for nebulas...

The more I learn, the better the images get, and that just makes me want to try harder.

Backyard EOS seems like a perfect tool for capturing images of nebulas.... what software do you recommend for processing the images?

For planetary images, it's been recommended that I get a Celestron Neximage 5 CMOS Solar System Imager Camera to use instead of my DSLR... and I have been thinking of getting a 6D to replace my 60D for night skies... the 60D is real noisy!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada

CarlTN said:
Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:
Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:

Sure seems that way to me, but you and him are old buddies, I guess I can understand that. There are some people that will never get along. I respect some of the work he does, and some of his knowledge, but I don't respect his hatred, anger, immaturity, antagonism, and self righteousness...he is deluded where I am concerned. He keeps claiming I don't know him. I say the same, he doesn't know me. All we know is what we read on here, and from day one (over a year ago) he has been extremely hostile and insulting to me...sending me insulting private messages. Nobody is perfect though. But I will not be called a small and weak man, and then have someone else portray me as the instigator in that exchange (as you did), because I was not. He started the name calling, and he got away with it. The moderators like him, they don't like me. I hope you can understand that. I certainly know you would not tolerate it, if it were directed at you. I refuse to be insulted for simply sharing my own experiences, by someone who has no experience with a product, yet types in caps as if to emphasize his pronouncements as "factual", and anyone who disagrees, is somehow in error. John Rista is not a god.
I apologise for my comment. It was ill conceived and in poor taste. I hope we can move past it and be friends.

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
jrista said:

I started with a really crappy 3" refractor telescope and got hooked!

I picked up a Celestron Advanced GT tracking mount... it's nice and solid and seems to track quite well. After lots of fiddling with aligning mounts, I ended up putting in some patio stones in the yard, made sure they were as level as possible, and marked where the tripod legs go... instant alignment! I have an 8" reflector telescope that I can use, or I have a mounting rail with a quick release camera mount. I have shot video of planets through the telescope, 2X barlow, and a 60D and run the images through Registax and I have just started to get interested in image stacking for nebulas...

The more I learn, the better the images get, and that just makes me want to try harder.

Ah! So your already into it. Great to hear! Is that a 60D, or the 60Da (just curious)?

I haven't tried planetary yet. I'm using my 600mm lens as a scope, and it isn't even remotely long enough to do planetary. Right now is pretty much the time for planets, though. At night, we have Jupiter, Mars, and Saturn all near their closest approaches to earth (I think Jupiter hit perigee in January, and Mars hits Perigee this month!)

I just picked up a new contract, and it should pay decently. I may pick up the AstroTech AT8RC or AT10RC, to get myself an actual OTA that I can use a barlow with, and get a planetary imager. I don't want to miss the opportunity we have right now with all three planets high in the sky during the night.

Don Haines said:
Backyard EOS seems like a perfect tool for capturing images of nebulas.... what software do you recommend for processing the images?

For processing, I recommend you start with Photoshop. You should pick up Carboni's Astronomy Tools actions, and maybe Annies Astro Actions. These are practically essential, as they take otherwise complex, multi-step operations to help you stretch, denoise, deblotch, and enhance your images, and makes them "one click", effectively. Some actions might pop up some standard photoshop tools for input, but for the most part, these two action sets make up the core of the astrophotographers toolbox. At least, for DSOs they do.

Now, you do planetary, and planetary generally needs some different processing. I haven't looked too deeply for planetary processing actions, but I'm sure there are some out there. I'd look around, see what you can find. Ready-made actions really make the processing go faster, and are well worth the $20, $30, $50 you have to spend on them.

Don Haines said:
For planetary images, it's been recommended that I get a Celestron Neximage 5 CMOS Solar System Imager Camera to use instead of my DSLR... and I have been thinking of getting a 6D to replace my 60D for night skies... the 60D is real noisy!

I do recommend getting a proper solar system imager. However, in my research, a lot of Celestron's equipment turns out to be bottom rung. They make excellent OTAs, and their CGE Pro mount is quite good, however their guide camera and neximage imagers should probably be avoided.

If you want a good planetary imager, I would look at QHY (http://qhyccd.com/en/left/page3/qhy5-ii-series/). They make a MUCH better imager, using Aptina sensors (high Q.E., high dynamic range). You could also look into the Starlight Xpress Lodestar (http://www.sxccd.com/lodestar-x2-autoguider). The Lodestar X2 was just announced, however it uses the new Sony ICX829 sensor, which is one of the most sensitive sensors on the market. The Lodestar has always been one of the most recommended guiding cameras, although it also works for planetary (IIRC)...the catch is that it is VERY expensive. Another option is the SBIG ST-i, which is also a guider and planetary camera. I like SBIG, Santa Barbara Instrument Group, good old "Made in the USA". Plus, I used to live very near Santa Barbara when I lived in California...kind of my old stomping grounds. The ST-i is more often used as an off-axis guider with the SBIG astro CCD cameras, but it is also a very good planetary imaging camera. It's cheaper than the Lodestar, but I think a little more expensive than the QHY.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013

Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:
Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:
Don Haines said:
CarlTN said:

I apologise for my comment. It was ill conceived and in poor taste. I hope we can move past it and be friends.

Without a doubt, we can!

And I do apologize for responding in this thread in any case, as it was not all that necessary.

Upvote 0
Hi John,

The wide angle lens is probably fine for big expansive milky way imaging. The zoom, on the other hand, I would stay away from. Longer zooms are never very good for astrophotography...too many tradeoffs have to be made for a zoom to be effective for daytime photography, and the demands of astrophotography are significantly more stringent. You could stop down, but you would likely have to stop down considerably to eliminate CA or other optical aberrations. Your probably much better off picking up a decent refracting APO telescope, and getting the required adapters to attach your Canon DSLR to it.

You could learn how to do astrophotography with the Tamron SP, as there are plenty of mechanical and operational things you will need to sort out before you really get into the more serious side of astrophotography, and it can take a while to sort all those things out. There is also control software to consider, and things like that. So while the IQ may not be good, the 70-300 could at least let you get your feet wet while you consider better options. ;)

Upvote 0